The Necromancer vs The battle of Evermore

mother of all machines

Ok, yes, i did stole the idea from the Kashmir post. But oh well, if we are doing it, lets do it as it has to be done.

Comparing Xanadu with Kashmir because of being loved, lets compare both Lord of the Rings songs.

Yes, i know in the deep inside this is usless and a waste of time, but hey, now the game started lets do it right!

(Pd,i go with Battle.)

The Necromancer. I love The Battle of Evermore though.

Ditto. Though I'd take Battle over Rivendell and Ramble On would be the king of LOTR songs.

Brooding in the tower . . . .

**** there is no groove that can beat that

The Necromancer, and it is not even close

Evermore is 6 minutes of droning repetitive whining

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 3

Battle Of Evermore is way cool in my view and may just edge out The Necromancer for me. Damn those were the days. So creative... :smoke:
  • Like 2

I'll go with Battle if it's the Heart version. :)

Agreed, but Sandy Denny on the original version is definetely not out of place.

Just not as hard rocking to me but I like it.

Necromancer feels underwritten to me, though every other aspect of it is excellent. Battle of Evermore is excellent in every way. Gotta go with LZ.

Necromancer feels underwritten to me, though every other aspect of it is excellent. Battle of Evermore is excellent in every way. Gotta go with LZ.

I agree. I always kind of wonder how TN would have sounded if it had been written several years later when the band had matured a bit.

Even though LZ4 has been played to death along with that Stairway song it is still a timeless album with the TBOE being a standout.I love how it acts as a folky prelude to the next song.As a previous poster said The Necromancer seems stiff and awkward and would have been interesting if they had done it later(same for the Fountain).Don't know if this has been mentioned before but who does the narration?Is that Neil?Stick to the sticks.As for Tolkien inspired lyrics i have just never got into that stuff.I used to work in a games shop around 1980 and all these geeks with Buddy Holly glasses and parkas use to come in clutching LOR book and buying Dungeons and Dragons.But then Rush fans are geeks.

Am I missing something here. Like Seriously, "Battle of evermore" in the same breath as "Necromancer"?! I could see maybe comparing Battle of Evermore to Rivendell, but the Necrmancer?

The Necromancer is an amazing composition. The atmosphere they produce sends chills. Alex's shredding is out of this world! Battle of evermore has a mandolin, and just bores the hell out of me.

I really am confused by why so many people like the battle of evermore. That one song really ruins Led Zepplin IV for me. The album is fantastic, hard rocking until bam boring folksy singing stuff. Pretty much what Rivendell does on FLy By Night.

Oh well My vote goes to Necromancer.

• Like 3

battle of evermore is probably "better" because zep IV as a whole beats a good portion of rush's discography but when you want something heavy you're not gonna listen to robert plant and some chick prance around

I love The Necromancer. Love the guitar in this so much.

At my wedding, my best man and I played Return Of The Prince during the reception.