• Led Zeppelin II
    • Led Zeppelin III
    • Houses Of The Holy
    • Physical Graffiti
    • Presence
    • In Through The Out Door
    • Coda
    • ______

Yesterday was the 40th anniversary of a zep show here in Tampa that was cancelled due to bad weather and resulted in a riot. My big brother was at the show and I had to ride down to the stadium with my mom to pick him up.

http://www.tampabay...._medium=twitter

It was June 3rd, actually, rather than the 4th- but no matter, really.

I have a recording of that show. It's three songs, about 20 minutes long...it's really a shame, because from those three songs they did play, they were really firing on all cylinders that night. It would have been a tremendous show.

The highly-touted concert, which began drawing spectators as soon as the stadium gates opened at noon yesterday, began an unusual 15 minutes early at 8:15 p.m. Two songs into the program, a cascade of rain descended from the heavens sending the electric instrument-laden performers scurrying for the locker room and laid low the curtain of smoke over the playing field.

It was then, after a laid-back day with only a few disturbances "considering the size of the crowd," police say the troubles began.

The group refused to come back out on stage despite what police say was an appeal that the thundershower would soon move over. By 9:15 p.m., the group had left the stadium leaving more than 70,000 fans, many whom paid as much as $12 a ticket, with nothing to do.

The still-drenched fans close to the three-tiered stage, angry at the long wait and then no concert, surged forward over and into the barricade manned by a handful of policemen. It was there the fighting began.

http://www.tampabay.com/resources/images/blogs-photo/rendered/2017/06/06_LEDZEP_1977_8col.jpg

I was going to start a new thread but decided to use an existing one to ask this question:

Do you think LZ would have been better with a different vocalist?

No.

I’ll admit, even Freddie Mercury wouldn’t have been better for LZ than Robert Plant.

• Like 1

It’s like asking if Star Wars would’ve been better with someone else playing Han Solo. Harrison Ford was the perfect actor for the role (whether he liked it or not). Another actor, perhaps even a better actor, couldn’t have made the movie any better.
  • Like 1

Lorraine, I think they could have gone even further down the blues path with a different singer, or perhaps more toward hard rock, as well. I say that based on some of the stuff on Page's Outrider album. Have you heard that?
  • Like 1

I was going to start a new thread but decided to use an existing one to ask this question:

No.

Plant was one of the few singers with enough swagger and cool factor to make horrible lyrics like in Whole Lotta Love and Black Dog actually sound like they were good. That's hard to find.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 2

No.

Plant was one of the few singers with enough swagger and cool factor to make horrible lyrics like in Whole Lotta Love and Black Dog actually sound like they were good. That's hard to find.

He has always the Zeitgeist bonus!

Lorraine, I think they could have gone even further down the blues path with a different singer, or perhaps more toward hard rock, as well. I say that based on some of the stuff on Page's Outrider album. Have you heard that?

I'm familiar with some of his solo efforts, but am not sure I've heard anything from that album. I will check it out.

Do you think they sound dated or has their music held up well?

I don't think they sound dated, but I'm old and grew up with them, so ...

I feel the same way...

...I grew up with them.

They never sound dated to me at all.

• Like 1

They don't sound dated at all to me. You can obviously tell they're from the 70s when you listen to them but it doesn't sound out of place today. Great songs combined with great production equals a timeless quality.
  • Like 1

Jimmy Page did a brilliant job producing all the Led Zeppelin albums. They all sound timeless to my ears.

He is good at that. He even did a good job on the remasters. Very talented man. Never realized how talented they all were until now.

• Like 2

Jimmy Page did a brilliant job producing all the Led Zeppelin albums. They all sound timeless to my ears.

He is good at that. He even did a good job on the remasters. Very talented man. Never realized how talented they all were until now.

It took me a long time to appreciate John Paul Jones' contributions to it all, but the man was/is a musical genius.
  • Like 2

It took me a long time to appreciate John Paul Jones' contributions to it all, but the man was/is a musical genius.

So they say. I don't know enough about music to be able to appreciate the genius of a bass player and what they do for a band. It's hard for me to even hear most bands' bass players in a song. Rush is one exception to that. The Police is another. I'm sure there are more.

In Hammer of the Gods, they portrayed him as the band's odd man out.

• Like 1

So they say. I don't know enough about music to be able to appreciate the genius of a bass player and what they do for a band. It's hard for me to even hear most bands' bass players in a song. Rush is one exception to that. The Police is another. I'm sure there are more.

In Hammer of the Gods, they portrayed him as the band's odd man out.

I think you can hear JPJ's influence a lot more on Presence and In Through The Out Door, bringing different textures to those songs whilst Plant and Page were disengaged for different reasons. I'm quite fond of late Zep - more than I am of the debut and II - but I can't say I ever really listen to any bands for the bass, or really notice it much... except for attention-seeking bassists like Stu Hamm or Billy Sheehan (I mean that in a good way), or Rush of course, because Geddy is so damned good and doing so much! JPJ very unassuming compared with the other three, even on tour by all accounts, he would sneak off quietly...

So they say. I don't know enough about music to be able to appreciate the genius of a bass player and what they do for a band.

He also did most of the keys and orchestration. The intro to Your Time Is Gonna Come is his work, for example.
  • Like 1

Here's what is supposed to be the best bootleg from an LZ concert:

http://youtu.be/JGtWkZUZwbg

BigBobby, you will the rendition of Achilles on this. It's towards the end. Bonzo was really something God rest his soul. :rose:

The young man who did these bootlegs, read about him here: https://en.m.wikiped...ki/Mike_Millard

Edited by Lorraine

BigBobby, you will the rendition of Achilles on this. It's towards the end. Bonzo was really something God rest his soul. :rose:

The young man who did these bootlegs, read about him here: https://en.m.wikiped...ki/Mike_Millard

Too bad they never put out a live album from this tour. :(

This is a compilation of Led Zeppelin's LA run in June of 1977, (6/21, 6/23, 6/25, 6/27) all shows recorded by Mike Millard, a legendary taper in Led Zeppelin circles as well as in the taping community in general.

His recording of the first night, June 21, 1977, is widely regarded as the best Led Zeppelin audience recording ever, and one of the most legendary bootlegs in general, known as 'Listen to This Eddie'

Mike's recording of the show opening track the 'Song Remains The Same' was used in the official Led Zeppelin DVD and IMO it's the greatest version of this song ever, Bonham is absolutely out of his f***ing mind and the crowd is going completely bonkers. Its a fantastic recording of a great show and f I could go back in time and see just one Zeppelin gig, it would be this one.

• Like 3