Xanadu vs. Headlong Flight

Segue Myles

38 members have voted

1. 1. You kind of set off an eternal winter, everywhere!

Headlong Flight, a balls-to-the-wall rocker that comes across GREAT live, shouldn't even be permitted to eat Xanadu's shit
  • Like 1

Two totally different approaches in these songs- one sprawling and majestic, the other just balls-out rawk, through and through, from the very first measure.

I'll take the latter.

Yep I would take Headlong Flight over Close To The Edge and Awaken also. Puuuleeease.... :facepalm: Edited by Narps
  • Like 1

Yep I would take Headlong Flight over Close To The Edge and Awaken also. Puuuleeease.... :facepalm:

Nobody said you had to like Headlong Flight over Xanadu.

Dang, sorry. I thought someone did. I take back everything in that case...

Yep I would take Headlong Flight over Close To The Edge and Awaken also. Puuuleeease.... :facepalm:

Nobody said you had to like Headlong Flight over Xanadu.

Dang, sorry. I thought someone did. I take back everything in that case...

I'm just saying that some people have perfectly valid reasons for preferring Headlong Flight, that's all.

• Like 1

Would it be fair to do Xanadu up against a Led Zeppelin song that came out at the same time? Or do you consider Rush and Led Zeppelin worlds apart?

What song or at least what album are you thinking of if I may ask?....

Would it be fair to do Xanadu up against a Led Zeppelin song that came out at the same time? Or do you consider Rush and Led Zeppelin worlds apart?

Kashmir, but somehow it seems to me worlds apart from what Rush was doing at the same time, and not very fair to put it up against Xanadu. It actually came out in 1975, but that's close enough to AFTK.

Kashmir, but somehow it seems to me worlds apart from what Rush was doing at the same time, and not very fair to put it up against Xanadu. It actually came out in 1975, but that's close enough to AFTK.

From that album I think Kashmir can stack up to be honest. Geez there are so many great songs on that album its hard to know where to start. The beginning I guess... Custard Pie, The Rover, In My Time Of Dying, Houses Of The Holy, Trampled Underfoot and on and on. Great album... :haz:
  • Like 1

From that album I think Kashmir can stack up to be honest. Geez there are so many great songs on that album its hard to know where to start. The beginning I guess... Custard Pie, The Rover, In My Time Of Dying, Houses Of The Holy, Trampled Underfoot and on and on. Great album... :haz:

:wub: :wub: :wub:

Xanadu vs Kashmir would be a good poll.

I will still vote for Xanadu but I can see that poll being close.

I started a thread about the two songs in the main forum. If I just did the poll here, not many come here to this section, and I wanted to get the opinions of the musicians here.

Should I do the poll too?

One think I do have to say:

Why do so many older fans have to get so precious about their old school favourites? What is wrong with a young person really enjoying a recent song more than an old classic?

I didn't live in the seventies. I think much of that generations music was the best that ever has been, or will be, but I also think the same of much of the last twenty years music as well. And a lot of the seventies Rush favourites really are great, but that doesn't mean they are necessarily better than a lot of modern music.

I might not agree that CA is one of the best Rush Albums, but if someone thinks otherwise, and feels personally that Headlong Flight is better than Xanadu, then why not?

I think Xanadu is one of the lesser tracks on AFTK. The title track and Cygnus X-1 own Headlong Flight without any contest!

But seriously, it is a growing trend to be off colour with certain fans, but Rush are so diverse, does it really matter who prefers what?

• Like 3

Why do so many older fans have to get so precious about their old school favourites? What is wrong with a young person really enjoying a recent song more than an old classic?

I didn't live in the seventies. I think much of that generations music was the best that ever has been, or will be, but I also think the same of much of the last twenty years music as well. And a lot of the seventies Rush favourites really are great, but that doesn't mean they are necessarily better than a lot of modern music.

I might not agree that CA is one of the best Rush Albums, but if someone thinks otherwise, and feels personally that Headlong Flight is better than Xanadu, then why not?

I think Xanadu is one of the lesser tracks on AFTK. The title track and Cygnus X-1 own Headlong Flight without any contest!

But seriously, it is a growing trend to be off colour with certain fans, but Rush are so diverse, does it really matter who prefers what?

No, but those that prefer other songs are equally dismissive of those of us who prefer the earlier Rush albums. Often we are accused of emotional attachment to the music. That may be true for some, but I had no emotional attachment to any Rush album in the seventies.

I have to defend my own music taste here just like everyone else. Someone mentions they like/love a song, and ten others tell the person why the song is awful.

No one here is in any position to point a finger.

You won't be 25 forever. When you are older, you may find yourself in the same position, and someone 25 years old will be accusing you of the same thing.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 2

No, but those that prefer other songs are equally dismissive of those of us who prefer the earlier Rush albums. Often we are accused of emotional attachment to the music. That may be true for some, but I had no emotional attachment to any Rush album in the seventies.

I have to defend my own music taste here just like everyone else. Someone mentions they like/love a song, and ten others tell the person why the song is awful.

No one here is in any position to point a finger.

You won't be 25 forever. When you are older, you may find yourself in the same position, and someone 25 years old will be accusing you of the same thing.

It's all good. I caught most of the shrapnel on that one. I am a big boy and can take it... :cheers: all
  • Like 2