The Freezable Fridge™

• Members *
  • 9841 posts
  • Interests:Being a covers band hack
    hillwalking
    Just about anything in the great outdoors

Posted 04 November 2015 - 05:21 AM

View PostBard, on 03 November 2015 - 08:01 PM, said:

It's kinda laughable, having to debate this. You don't think they're that unique. Yet you can't point to one single outfit who's similar. Influences, blah blah blah. Bottom line...there isn't anyone like them. Metallica said it. Grohl said it. Plant said it. Everyone knows it.

Except you, apparently.

Heck, I'm not personal about it. I just think it implies a lack of simple observation skill. I admit I'm being condescending. But you're one of those board trolls who gets off on stirring the pot. Me, I'm not stirred. Just amused. 'Net bravado is boring.

I wouldn't class myself as a troll, and i was astounded that you used the term schadenfreude in a different post as that's not me at all.

Rush have many and diverse influences  and they can be heard in their music...I was quite careful at the end to quaify my statement by stating that I didn't think they were not original or that they had their own sound, but that you could clearly hear said influences...did you miss that bit?

As for sounding like Rush, I would point to the first four Kings X albums...not a copy at all, but the same use of space occupying guitat a la Tom Sawyer etc.

Sponsored Post

#342 Fridge

Fridge

The Freezable Fridge™

• Members *
  • 9841 posts
  • Interests:Being a covers band hack
    hillwalking
    Just about anything in the great outdoors

Posted 04 November 2015 - 05:23 AM

View PostBard, on 03 November 2015 - 01:24 PM, said:

View PostFridge, on 03 November 2015 - 08:02 AM, said:

The Bible---evidence God exists

The Koran-----evidence Allah exists

Mr Tickle-----evidence Mr Tickle exists

Just because you say something doesn't mean it's true.

er....none of those books are evidence those things exist.

when I say there won't be any Rush without Neil....it's true. you can bet your mortgage on it. :)

Because it's not true because I'm saying it...it's true beyond what you or I say.

Err..that was the point...none of the both proves existence.

You are no more a reliable source than them

FWIW I tend to agree with you, it's very unlikely but that's not what I have been debating...

#343 Ron2112

Ron2112

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 10:23 AM

View PostBard, on 03 November 2015 - 01:27 PM, said:

LOL, mkay, Now we know how much you really understand Rush. Thanks for clearing that up, laddie. :hi:

There is no other band even remotely similar to Rush. Consequently, there are thousands of bands like Zeppelin, Halen, or even Rick Springfield.

It only takes reading a few posts to tell that you really are quite taken with your own opinion.

Yeah, most people here are wired to think that Rush is unique.  And certainly, if you take time to listen to them, they are.  As is EVERY band.  But from a distance, Rush also bears striking similarities with a lot of other prog/arena rock bands.  Which is why they've been lumped in with Kansas, Styx, and even Journey by critics for years.

Similarly, to say that there's nothing unique about Zeppelin or Van Halen is really astounding.  Both had imitators, but the originals were very distinctive bands.

#344 gypsy muse

gypsy muse

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 544 posts
  • Interests:hiking, art, making stuff, reading, antique shopping

Posted 04 November 2015 - 11:06 PM

View PostLorraine, on 15 October 2015 - 11:42 AM, said:

View PostNarps, on 15 October 2015 - 11:39 AM, said:

View PostLorraine, on 15 October 2015 - 11:30 AM, said:

View PostXanadu, on 15 October 2015 - 11:17 AM, said:

Doesn't seem like he is saying anything that he hasn't already said before though. No real surprises there.

Cool interview though. And did he say "God bless you" at the end to those guys? Just wondering...

I can't watch/listen to the interview, but do you mean Geddy?  Since when would he be God blessing anyone??  :lol:   Maybe he's had a great conversion or something.  :cool: ;)
Damn I wish you could see and hear this one :fuckinputer: Nothing mind blowing or new but just a good interview and the guy is too cool for school for sure...

Are you talking about Geddy being too cool?  I agree.  I love listening to him speak.  He has a very soothing voice.
and he's yummy!

#345 Attila

Attila

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Writing, travel, camping, hiking, biking, kayaking, gardening, art, crafts, pet birds, pet fish, reading, history

Posted 27 November 2015 - 09:58 AM

From what I've read in Neil's interviews and books, he doesn't sound like a terribly happy person (and who can blame him) and I kind of get the impression he's been forcing himself to go through with the tours for a long time. Not everything he does or says is admirable but so far once he's agreed to do a tour he brings it and makes the fans happy, and I do find that admirable. Slavery is illegal so he's not obligated to work one more day if he doesn't want to. There have been some exceptions but really since Test for Echo came out I kind of thought he's running out of things to write about, the lyrics from Test for Echo on have not really been the same quality as the "classic" years. They are still mostly far better than what any other rock band puts out. I heard a rumor back in 1984 that Rush was breaking up and I was really bummed - my thought was at least I got to see them one time. (Grace Under Pressure tour was my first Rush concert.) It could have ended a lot sooner than it did. I'm glad for all the years of fun they have given me but they aren't obligated to produce one more note if they don't want to. If they want to then I'll be happy to listen whatever they call it or whoever they play with. There really is no replacement for Rush, they are not like anyone else, but I can learn to like other things, eventually, I think, I hope!

#346 GernTheFish

GernTheFish

The Seeker

• Members
  • 392 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 01:24 PM

I may be in the minority here, but I'm completely ok with the band winding down from a touring perspective.  I hate the thought of no more Rush shows to attend but, unfortunately, it has to end sometime.  We're not talking Barry Manilow here. Rush music is extremely demanding to play and maintaining the bands' high standards would be tough for anyone half their age.  Memories I have from the last several tours are great ones and the boys were on top of their game.  Not a bad way to go out if you ask me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users