Jump to content


Geddy on Dan Patrick: "people can change their minds, but..."


  • Please log in to reply
345 replies to this topic

#321 himey

himey

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 02:34 AM

its a bigger change replacing the singer compared to a drummer. no comparison at all. if you heard a new "rush" song sample online with a different drummer most purist probably wouldnt know the difference.

Sponsored Post

#322 edhunter

edhunter

    Rushaholic

  • Members *
  • 1724 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 03 November 2015 - 05:41 AM

View Posthimey, on 03 November 2015 - 02:34 AM, said:

its a bigger change replacing the singer compared to a drummer. no comparison at all. if you heard a new "rush" song sample online with a different drummer most purist probably wouldnt know the difference.

Depends. If the song had any sort of groove to it, you'd know immediately.

#323 Jomboni

Jomboni

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 532 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:NJ

Posted 03 November 2015 - 07:22 AM

I bet I could tell.  If you played me a live track of an existing Rush song, with a different (and very good) drummer, you might trick me, but something new?  It would definitely sound different.

#324 Fridge

Fridge

    The Freezable Fridge™

  • Members *
  • 9840 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Aberdeenshire, Scotland
  • Interests:Being a covers band hack
    hillwalking
    Just about anything in the great outdoors

Posted 03 November 2015 - 08:02 AM

View PostBard, on 02 November 2015 - 06:44 PM, said:

View PostFridge, on 02 November 2015 - 01:15 PM, said:

View PostBard, on 01 November 2015 - 03:58 PM, said:

View PostFridge, on 31 October 2015 - 05:46 AM, said:

View PostBard, on 30 October 2015 - 07:11 PM, said:

View PostFridge, on 29 October 2015 - 02:50 PM, said:

View PostTodem, on 29 October 2015 - 02:45 PM, said:

View PostFridge, on 29 October 2015 - 02:42 PM, said:

View PostTodem, on 29 October 2015 - 02:41 PM, said:

View PostFridge, on 29 October 2015 - 02:38 PM, said:

View PostTodem, on 29 October 2015 - 02:36 PM, said:

View PostFridge, on 28 October 2015 - 07:35 PM, said:

View PostLook to Sirius, on 28 October 2015 - 06:14 PM, said:

View PostFridge, on 28 October 2015 - 05:58 PM, said:

Another way of looking at it is we should be glad that it is Neil who wants to retire, as he is the easiest one to replace.

I'm not trying to say he hasn't been a big part of what has gone on, but he isn't part of the songwriting "engine"

Take Geddy or Alex out of the equation however, and it is indeed finito......
How do you mean? I thougt it was obvious that Geddy and Neil where the engine of Rush. Alex was out of the equation on a couple of Rush songs, at the least. He just found a way to worm his way into them :lol:

For the vast majority of their career, Alex has been the main sound....he was marginalised a bit during their mid 80s records, but came back into his own...Geddys vocals and competence with several instruments is also a necessity.

Lets not forget also that they wrote a lot of stuff without keys for years. so many of the guitar riffs must be Geddys.

Oh lord.

It's all three of them. Without Neil it is not Rush, without Geddy it is not Rush, without Alex it is not Rush. If one is not on board it's over. That will be a fact.

They will never perform or record as Rush unless all three are part of it.

And that is the way it should be. After 41 years nothing is going to change.

Nothing.

And you are confident you can speak for all three of them are you?

I would say that it was their decision, no one else's


Yeah...there going to replace Neil and tour as Rush.

Whatever you say man.

But if you read my posts I never said that that was what they would do, I only ventured an opinion that if someone had to be replaced, then Neil was the only possibility.

With all due respect and I do not mean to single you out. I have seen so many bad posts and trolling about Neil it's getting stupid.

I think your over thinking it. They truly are never going to replace Neil Peart so they can go tour again. If you told me this 20 years ago.....ok. They had plenty of mileage left.

They are at the end of the rainbow. They are not going to tarnish 41 years of Rush history for the sake of another tour.

Overthinking it lol...

If you knew my posting better, you would realise that's the last thing I would do regarding a rock band.

And respect or not, I haven't trolled Neil at all, merely offered a hypothetical opinion on a hypothetical situation.

And I still don't think you can speak for them.....saying that, I would agree that a tour as Rush would be highly unlikely, but you never know.

I can speak for them. :)

Not gonna happen. Ever.

And it's interesting how little value you rank Neil's contributions to the band...that Alex is the main sound, that Geddy's composition is the backbone...and that Neil's lyricism and percussion skills are the MOST replaceable.

Don't smoke crack, son. It's bad.

I suggest you retake some lessons in basic English comprehension........I did indeed say that Alex is the main sound (which is true, they are a power trio are they not?)...I never said Geddys composition is the backbone,I said Ged and Al are the main songwriring "engine" (which is true)..I also said that in pre keyboard days, Geddy must have written some of the stuff on guitars...nothing controversial there.

I also never said they were likely to carry on without Neil, just that if they did, he would be the only member which could be replaced.....it's an opinion, not trolling, and you shouldn't be so defensive.

It's trolling, and I'm hardly defensive. I'm scoffing. It'd be fine if you were just brazen, but you actually seem to believe what you're saying, which indicates a level of intellect that's beneath most of the members here. I should probably stop responding to you because you're apparently incapable of seeing the big picture zeitgeist to which most folks adhere to when it comes to Rush. I'd normally salute you for your individualism, but I just don't think you're getting it. Read some books, laddie.

Thank you for the condescension and patronising nature of your reply...note that I never "scoffed" at your opinion.

And no, I wasn't trolling, I was offering a point of view for discussion...believe me if I was trolling, you would know about it.

"Big picture zeitgeist"?...seriously?

We're talking about a rock n roll band here ffs and I certainly have no intention of "adhering" to anything just because you state that's what some other people do.

And I do "get it" I just don't "buy" it, ok?

LOL, sure, you get it. You don't buy that Neil is irreplaceable.

It's okay to have an opinion. It's equally okay to have an opinion that's incorrect. It's your prerogative. However, that has a side effect of indicating you may not be the sharpest tool in the box.

The Bible---evidence God exists

The Koran-----evidence Allah exists

Mr Tickle-----evidence Mr Tickle exists

Just because you say something doesn't mean it's true.

#325 Fridge

Fridge

    The Freezable Fridge™

  • Members *
  • 9840 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Aberdeenshire, Scotland
  • Interests:Being a covers band hack
    hillwalking
    Just about anything in the great outdoors

Posted 03 November 2015 - 08:03 AM

View PostJomboni, on 03 November 2015 - 07:22 AM, said:

I bet I could tell.  If you played me a live track of an existing Rush song, with a different (and very good) drummer, you might trick me, but something new?  It would definitely sound different.

That's not the point...of course there would be differences, but that's not a problem, as long as he/she fitted in.

#326 Fridge

Fridge

    The Freezable Fridge™

  • Members *
  • 9840 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Aberdeenshire, Scotland
  • Interests:Being a covers band hack
    hillwalking
    Just about anything in the great outdoors

Posted 03 November 2015 - 08:06 AM

View PostBard, on 02 November 2015 - 06:49 PM, said:


Rush is not like other bands.

Rush cannot be compared to other bands.


Oh ffs, of course they are and of course they can....good as they were, they're not some kind of musical Holy Grail.

#327 himey

himey

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 10:48 AM

most people would not know the difference with an exceptional enough drummer. I have no idea who that could/would be but I am sure there is someone out there that can do the job as well maybe better.

Edited by himey, 03 November 2015 - 10:54 AM.


#328 edhunter

edhunter

    Rushaholic

  • Members *
  • 1724 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 03 November 2015 - 12:45 PM

View Posthimey, on 03 November 2015 - 10:48 AM, said:

most people would not know the difference with an exceptional enough drummer. I have no idea who that could/would be but I am sure there is someone out there that can do the job as well maybe better.

In '02 at Mohegan Sun, I was in the front row of the upper bowl directly above the soundboard. There was an air drummer sitting completely by himself in the open area directly behind the board. Head down, not watching the show, drumming like there was no tomorrow. i started listening specifically to the drums while watching this guy for about 5 minutes of Secret Touch. He nailed it. Geddy and Alex need to find that guy...

#329 Fridge

Fridge

    The Freezable Fridge™

  • Members *
  • 9840 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Aberdeenshire, Scotland
  • Interests:Being a covers band hack
    hillwalking
    Just about anything in the great outdoors

Posted 03 November 2015 - 12:46 PM

View Postedhunter, on 03 November 2015 - 12:45 PM, said:

View Posthimey, on 03 November 2015 - 10:48 AM, said:

most people would not know the difference with an exceptional enough drummer. I have no idea who that could/would be but I am sure there is someone out there that can do the job as well maybe better.

In '02 at Mohegan Sun, I was in the front row of the upper bowl directly above the soundboard. There was an air drummer sitting completely by himself in the open area directly behind the board. Head down, not watching the show, drumming like there was no tomorrow. i started listening specifically to the drums while watching this guy for about 5 minutes of Secret Touch. He nailed it. Geddy and Alex need to find that guy...

It's his money I suppose, but doesn't seem a great way to enjoy a concert to me.....

#330 edhunter

edhunter

    Rushaholic

  • Members *
  • 1724 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 03 November 2015 - 12:51 PM

View PostFridge, on 03 November 2015 - 12:46 PM, said:

View Postedhunter, on 03 November 2015 - 12:45 PM, said:

View Posthimey, on 03 November 2015 - 10:48 AM, said:

most people would not know the difference with an exceptional enough drummer. I have no idea who that could/would be but I am sure there is someone out there that can do the job as well maybe better.

In '02 at Mohegan Sun, I was in the front row of the upper bowl directly above the soundboard. There was an air drummer sitting completely by himself in the open area directly behind the board. Head down, not watching the show, drumming like there was no tomorrow. i started listening specifically to the drums while watching this guy for about 5 minutes of Secret Touch. He nailed it. Geddy and Alex need to find that guy...

It's his money I suppose, but doesn't seem a great way to enjoy a concert to me.....

Me either, but drummers tend to be on a different level when it comes to geeking out. The only non-drummer I've seen that comes close is a bassist on the CP site who has a model of every bass Geddy has used over the years, including a Ricky double neck.

#331 Bard

Bard

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1164 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 03 November 2015 - 01:24 PM

View PostFridge, on 03 November 2015 - 08:02 AM, said:



The Bible---evidence God exists

The Koran-----evidence Allah exists

Mr Tickle-----evidence Mr Tickle exists

Just because you say something doesn't mean it's true.

er....none of those books are evidence those things exist.

when I say there won't be any Rush without Neil....it's true. you can bet your mortgage on it. :)

Because it's not true because I'm saying it...it's true beyond what you or I say.

#332 Bard

Bard

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1164 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 03 November 2015 - 01:27 PM

View PostFridge, on 03 November 2015 - 08:06 AM, said:

View PostBard, on 02 November 2015 - 06:49 PM, said:

Rush is not like other bands.

Rush cannot be compared to other bands.


Oh ffs, of course they are and of course they can....good as they were, they're not some kind of musical Holy Grail.

LOL, mkay, Now we know how much you really understand Rush. Thanks for clearing that up, laddie. :hi:

There is no other band even remotely similar to Rush. Consequently, there are thousands of bands like Zeppelin, Halen, or even Rick Springfield.

The uniqueness is the thing. That's why they're all irreplaceable, and that's why they'll never play without each other.

Bank on it. Talk all you want, but in the end, one of us is right and one of us is wrong.

I wonder what history will prove. LOL. Talk to me again in 20 years and let me know how that worked out for ya.

#333 edhunter

edhunter

    Rushaholic

  • Members *
  • 1724 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 03 November 2015 - 01:40 PM

^^^what will the R60 set list look like?

#334 Principled Man

Principled Man

    Mathematical Porn Star

  • Members *
  • 10276 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Western Wisconsin
  • Interests:Rush
    The Green Bay Packers
    The Milwaukee Brewers
    Monty Python
    Cincinnati Chili
    Refreshing Beverages
    Golf, bowling, and Blu-ray
    TRAVEL
    Getting Slim & Trim
    And everything astronomical, cosmological, whatever can be measured in light-years.....out there in that Great Big Magnificent Universe!!

Posted 03 November 2015 - 02:11 PM

View PostBard, on 03 November 2015 - 01:27 PM, said:

The uniqueness is the thing. That's why they're all irreplaceable, and that's why they'll never play without each other.

Their music is definitely unique.  It can't be described in terms of any other band.  Other bands' sounds have been compared to that of Rush, but Rush's sound has never been compared to anyone else's.  It is truly one of a kind.  

But the band is not unique in terms of their closeness and commitment to each other.  Led Zeppelin disbanded because they couldn't go on without John Bonham.  Such bands are rare, but Rush is not the only one.

#335 Union 5-3992

Union 5-3992

    A Pale Boy with only Half a Brain

  • Members *
  • 21057 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The rich and sunny planet Ursa Minor Beta (or Buffalo NY)

Posted 03 November 2015 - 02:44 PM

View PostFridge, on 03 November 2015 - 08:03 AM, said:

View PostJomboni, on 03 November 2015 - 07:22 AM, said:

I bet I could tell.  If you played me a live track of an existing Rush song, with a different (and very good) drummer, you might trick me, but something new?  It would definitely sound different.

That's not the point...of course there would be differences, but that's not a problem, as long as he/she fitted in.
The Who have been without Moon for almost 40 years and they haven't come close to sounding the same.

#336 Fridge

Fridge

    The Freezable Fridge™

  • Members *
  • 9840 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Aberdeenshire, Scotland
  • Interests:Being a covers band hack
    hillwalking
    Just about anything in the great outdoors

Posted 03 November 2015 - 03:10 PM

View PostBard, on 03 November 2015 - 01:27 PM, said:

View PostFridge, on 03 November 2015 - 08:06 AM, said:

View PostBard, on 02 November 2015 - 06:49 PM, said:

Rush is not like other bands.

Rush cannot be compared to other bands.


Oh ffs, of course they are and of course they can....good as they were, they're not some kind of musical Holy Grail.

LOL, mkay, Now we know how much you really understand Rush. Thanks for clearing that up, laddie. :hi:

There is no other band even remotely similar to Rush. Consequently, there are thousands of bands like Zeppelin, Halen, or even Rick Springfield.

The uniqueness is the thing. That's why they're all irreplaceable, and that's why they'll never play without each other.

Bank on it. Talk all you want, but in the end, one of us is right and one of us is wrong.

I wonder what history will prove. LOL. Talk to me again in 20 years and let me know how that worked out for ya.

The laughable thing about this post is that I never once actually said they WOULD play with another drummer, only that they COULD if they chose.........

Therefore there is no way to prove who is right and who is wrong, and you are the one turning it into a contest.

And by the way, calling me "laddie" is just condescending and faintly insulting, two things I haven't inflicted on you...you are really getting too personal with this you know...it's just a bit of idle chat and banter about a rock band, who are not nearly as "unique" as you think.

#337 Fridge

Fridge

    The Freezable Fridge™

  • Members *
  • 9840 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Aberdeenshire, Scotland
  • Interests:Being a covers band hack
    hillwalking
    Just about anything in the great outdoors

Posted 03 November 2015 - 03:20 PM

View PostPrincipled Man, on 03 November 2015 - 02:11 PM, said:

Their music is definitely unique.  It can't be described in terms of any other band.  Other bands' sounds have been compared to that of Rush, but Rush's sound has never been compared to anyone else's.  It is truly one of a kind.  

Oh come on now.....

Rush have always been massively influenced by other musicians/acts.

In the first few albums the influence of Led Zep and The Who is obvious, and Alex very much sounds like Jimmy Page junior when soloing, right down to the slightly sloppy technique Page used.

Fast forward to late 70s and Alex in particular is now being heavily influenced by the likes of Holdsworth etc. right down to using a strat and fitting a humbucker in the bridge and using the trem to slide and scoop into notes.

into the 80s and the Police/Simple Minds/U2 influences are very much in the forefront. Also a lot of new wave stuff coming through in PW and HYF

I must admit that after then I'm not so concerned, but the likes of CP and T4E clearly owe more than a nod and a wink to Grunge/alternative acts.

I'm not saying they didn't create their own sound and I am certainly not saying they are not original, but they are nowhere near as unique as some people would have us believe.

#338 Principled Man

Principled Man

    Mathematical Porn Star

  • Members *
  • 10276 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Western Wisconsin
  • Interests:Rush
    The Green Bay Packers
    The Milwaukee Brewers
    Monty Python
    Cincinnati Chili
    Refreshing Beverages
    Golf, bowling, and Blu-ray
    TRAVEL
    Getting Slim & Trim
    And everything astronomical, cosmological, whatever can be measured in light-years.....out there in that Great Big Magnificent Universe!!

Posted 03 November 2015 - 07:55 PM

View PostFridge, on 03 November 2015 - 03:20 PM, said:

View PostPrincipled Man, on 03 November 2015 - 02:11 PM, said:

Their music is definitely unique.  It can't be described in terms of any other band.  Other bands' sounds have been compared to that of Rush, but Rush's sound has never been compared to anyone else's.  It is truly one of a kind.  

Oh come on now.....

Rush have always been massively influenced by other musicians/acts.

In the first few albums the influence of Led Zep and The Who is obvious, and Alex very much sounds like Jimmy Page junior when soloing, right down to the slightly sloppy technique Page used.

Fast forward to late 70s and Alex in particular is now being heavily influenced by the likes of Holdsworth etc. right down to using a strat and fitting a humbucker in the bridge and using the trem to slide and scoop into notes.

into the 80s and the Police/Simple Minds/U2 influences are very much in the forefront. Also a lot of new wave stuff coming through in PW and HYF

I must admit that after then I'm not so concerned, but the likes of CP and T4E clearly owe more than a nod and a wink to Grunge/alternative acts.

I'm not saying they didn't create their own sound and I am certainly not saying they are not original, but they are nowhere near as unique as some people would have us believe.

I agree that their sound has been influenced by many different bands that the guys have liked over the years.  You can hear little bits of different bands' sounds in many Rush songs.  

My point is that when discussing Rush, no one says, "Oh, they're like [insert band here]."  You just can't do it.  Rush?  Well, they sound like Rush.  To me, that makes them unique.

#339 Bard

Bard

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1164 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 03 November 2015 - 08:01 PM

View PostFridge, on 03 November 2015 - 03:10 PM, said:

View PostBard, on 03 November 2015 - 01:27 PM, said:

View PostFridge, on 03 November 2015 - 08:06 AM, said:

View PostBard, on 02 November 2015 - 06:49 PM, said:

Rush is not like other bands.

Rush cannot be compared to other bands.


Oh ffs, of course they are and of course they can....good as they were, they're not some kind of musical Holy Grail.

LOL, mkay, Now we know how much you really understand Rush. Thanks for clearing that up, laddie. :hi:

There is no other band even remotely similar to Rush. Consequently, there are thousands of bands like Zeppelin, Halen, or even Rick Springfield.

The uniqueness is the thing. That's why they're all irreplaceable, and that's why they'll never play without each other.

Bank on it. Talk all you want, but in the end, one of us is right and one of us is wrong.

I wonder what history will prove. LOL. Talk to me again in 20 years and let me know how that worked out for ya.

The laughable thing about this post is that I never once actually said they WOULD play with another drummer, only that they COULD if they chose.........

Therefore there is no way to prove who is right and who is wrong, and you are the one turning it into a contest.

And by the way, calling me "laddie" is just condescending and faintly insulting, two things I haven't inflicted on you...you are really getting too personal with this you know...it's just a bit of idle chat and banter about a rock band, who are not nearly as "unique" as you think.

Well, I consider myself a fair observer of the music world, and I don't know one. single. band. who remotely comes close to Rush's sound and style.

Even hardcore prog folks know that Yes, Floyd, Genesis...all have their own sound.

Nobody is in the same boat as Rush. Not one band. 9 times outta 10, you can ask any indie, prog, hard rock or mainstream cover band what's the one band they simply can't cover adequately and it's almost always Rush. Followed closely by Queen.

There's just nobody on earth who can sing like Freddie or Geddy.

And there's nobody on earth who can rattle a drum fill like Peart.

It's all about the tone, man. Not the technique. The SOUL of the thing.

It's kinda laughable, having to debate this. You don't think they're that unique. Yet you can't point to one single outfit who's similar. Influences, blah blah blah. Bottom line...there isn't anyone like them. Metallica said it. Grohl said it. Plant said it. Everyone knows it.

Except you, apparently.

Heck, I'm not personal about it. I just think it implies a lack of simple observation skill. I admit I'm being condescending. But you're one of those board trolls who gets off on stirring the pot. Me, I'm not stirred. Just amused. 'Net bravado is boring.

#340 Bard

Bard

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1164 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 03 November 2015 - 08:03 PM

View PostPrincipled Man, on 03 November 2015 - 07:55 PM, said:

View PostFridge, on 03 November 2015 - 03:20 PM, said:

View PostPrincipled Man, on 03 November 2015 - 02:11 PM, said:

Their music is definitely unique.  It can't be described in terms of any other band.  Other bands' sounds have been compared to that of Rush, but Rush's sound has never been compared to anyone else's.  It is truly one of a kind.  

Oh come on now.....

Rush have always been massively influenced by other musicians/acts.

In the first few albums the influence of Led Zep and The Who is obvious, and Alex very much sounds like Jimmy Page junior when soloing, right down to the slightly sloppy technique Page used.

Fast forward to late 70s and Alex in particular is now being heavily influenced by the likes of Holdsworth etc. right down to using a strat and fitting a humbucker in the bridge and using the trem to slide and scoop into notes.

into the 80s and the Police/Simple Minds/U2 influences are very much in the forefront. Also a lot of new wave stuff coming through in PW and HYF

I must admit that after then I'm not so concerned, but the likes of CP and T4E clearly owe more than a nod and a wink to Grunge/alternative acts.

I'm not saying they didn't create their own sound and I am certainly not saying they are not original, but they are nowhere near as unique as some people would have us believe.

I agree that their sound has been influenced by many different bands that the guys have liked over the years.  You can hear little bits of different bands' sounds in many Rush songs.  

My point is that when discussing Rush, no one says, "Oh, they're like [insert band here]."  You just can't do it.  Rush?  Well, they sound like Rush.  To me, that makes them unique.

That's cause you're right, and he's wrong.

NOBODY ever says so and so is like Rush, because nobody is.

Thus the uniqueness to which our associate above fails to see.

Kinda weak to debate it, it's a given. I dunno why I keep bothering. Actually, I think I'll stop now. LOL, a Rush fan who thinks Rush isn't that unique in the music world clearly isn't here for Rush. :)




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users