Geddy on Dan Patrick: "people can change their minds, but..."

Prattster

It would be very cool to see Ged and Alex start a new band with a different singer, a keyboard player and a drummer. It would be awesome to see those guys just rock out on their instruments and leave the vocals and keys to the rest of the band.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Geddy play a show or two with The Who. I don't think his heart would be into doing an entire tour, but I could absolutely see a few shows as a realistic possibility.

Damn, you're thinking big, but I love the idea. :cheers:

That would be amazing.

I see your Who and I raise you...Geddy with Yes.

Hm...I suppose but who's still left out of the original band? Anyone?

Yeah, that's why I think The Who could be a better fit. I saw Yes @ 3 years ago and they were mere shadows of their former selves in my opinion. Not to mention that Geoff Downes, though he is very talented in his own right, was an inept replacement for Rick Wakeman. Also, it is my perception (FWIW) that Geddy was influenced more by The Who than Yes.

• Like 1

I'm just happy that Geddy is in a little better place with the initial shock having worn off. He seems to be processing it a bit better though I'm sure he's more than a little distracted at the moment.

I get the impression Geddy isn't processing it well at all. He seems to be a rudder without a ship at the moment. (Or is that supposed to be a ship without a rudder? :unsure: You all know what I mean anyway - Geddy seems lost to me and not quite sure what to do with himself at the moment.) And if you watch him at the end of the LA show, he seemed a bit overwhelmed by it all. I think we would have gotten more in the way of a "farewell speech" out of him, but Neil distracted him at the end.

Anyway, i think Geddy is taking it the hardest and the worst

geddy doesn't want to retire. he would keep playing until he dropped. that's just who he is, he has said that playing live is what he lives for

Hence forth, why my respect for Neil is dropping to very low levels.

That'll get him back on the road. Because he's a pretty smart guy most of the time, certainly smart enough to know the world revolves around you.

I'm not the only one who shares that opinion.

Neil killed the thing he helped create, by now I highly doubt his arthritis is even that bad and he's just using it as an excuse. Alex on the other hand was clearly in some sort of pain towards the beginning of the tour.

Neil was spot on the entire tour, which leads me to believe he either masks the pain well or he was lying.

Good Lord. Try having some. Old Arthur Itis I mean... :facepalm:

Neil has tendinitis but it's possible he has arthritis too. As someone who has both, it's not something you can really work through.

Yep. Not cool either way for what they do for a living...

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17cd7wro1gl4djpg/original.jpg

Could solve everything...

Is that Ilea?

Sinead O'Conner I think... ;)

Nothing compares...to RUSH.
  • Like 2

It would be very cool to see Ged and Alex start a new band with a different singer, a keyboard player and a drummer. It would be awesome to see those guys just rock out on their instruments and leave the vocals and keys to the rest of the band.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Geddy play a show or two with The Who. I don't think his heart would be into doing an entire tour, but I could absolutely see a few shows as a realistic possibility.

Damn, you're thinking big, but I love the idea. :cheers:

That would be amazing.

I see your Who and I raise you...Geddy with Yes.

Hm...I suppose but who's still left out of the original band? Anyone?

Yeah, that's why I think The Who could be a better fit. I saw Yes @ 3 years ago and they were mere shadows of their former selves in my opinion. Not to mention that Geoff Downes, though he is very talented in his own right, was an inept replacement for Rick Wakeman. Also, it is my perception (FWIW) that Geddy was influenced more by The Who than Yes.

fair enough....but 10 years younger and including jon Anderson that would have made an interesting combination.

Geddy and Al should form a Rush tribute band called Mush. All the pressure is off since they're just a tribute band right?

I'd go see it in a heartbeat, but it would have to be called RASH since the t-shirts are already made. ;)
  • Like 1

This interview saddens me considerably. I know Geddy's still trying to keep hope alive, but I feel like, at this point, he's just lying to himself. Not intentionally, of course, but it does make me wonder if he really does believe Rush will tour again. Something tells me not. :( :sigh: I guess that'll only make R40 that much more special to me. I'm glad I got to see them one last time. :)

By the way, I never would have guessed that Lorraine skips Anthem. To each his—or, in this case, her—own, I suppose. :cheers: :)

• Like 2

Geddy and Al should form a Rush tribute band called Mush. All the pressure is off since they're just a tribute band right?

They should be wary of forming a tribute band. They'll get ripped for playing another band's songs.... ;) ;)

This interview saddens me considerably. I know Geddy's still trying to keep hope alive, but I feel like, at this point, he's just lying to himself. Not intentionally, of course, but it does make me wonder if he really does believe Rush will tour again. Something tells me not. :( :sigh: I guess that'll only make R40 that much more special to me. I'm glad I got to see them one last time. :)

By the way, I never would have guessed that Lorraine skips Anthem. To each his—or, in this case, her—own, I suppose. :cheers: :)

Ahh!! I love Anthem!! :haz:

• Like 1

I got to be at 4 shows this year, so I'm obviously grateful and satisfied for myself. I do feel for the fans outside of North America though who kinda got screwed. True that Neil and the other guys OWE us nothing more. But it would've been a nice gesture on his part to agree to a short second leg next year to say goodbye to at least the European fans who have supported the band for so long. I'm ok with never seeing the band again here in the states and I realize they're too old at this point to tour the entire planet. It just feels like as a farewell, it's ending in sort of an awkward incomplete fashion. And it sounds like Geddy feels the same way without directly saying it.

Thank you! Finally someone that agrees with me about this!

I would agree an argument can be made for the guys, or any celebrity, at least showing a level of appreciation for their fans, but the fact of the matter is Rush, Neil included, have done that. They constantly acknowledge their fans.

Neil's message to his fans has been very clear. Sincere appreciation for the support and the applause, and a big "No, thank you!" for the worship.

I agree. Neil has never wanted anything but to be good at what he does. He appreciates the money and the accolades but doesn't like the trappings of fame. He just wants to be a normal guy that plays the drums. He's said as much over the years in interviews and his books. He's put in his time at his "job" and now wants to retire. People shouldn't get mad at him for that, but should appreciate all of the great music we got from him over the years.

Apparently, not a lot of people around here pay much attention.

I'm just happy that Geddy is in a little better place with the initial shock having worn off. He seems to be processing it a bit better though I'm sure he's more than a little distracted at the moment.

It wouldn't surprise me if he was the one that was in the most shock over it being over. He seems a little bit surprised and I don't know if I would call it disappointed but I don't know how he couldn't be. It's been pretty much his band for his entire life. He's the singer and that automatically makes him the one that has gotten the most press. Not that the other two haven't had their notoriety but Neil in particular seems to view it as a get out of jail card.

I think he clearly was. (Especially based on his reaction to Neil at the end on 8/1.) He's finally had to deal with reality and I think that part of the reason why he was so off-the-charts awesome this year. He left it all out there despite the likely outcome. I have no doubt that he's gutted and has to come to grips with it. When the dust settles though I think he'll realize that these last 15 years have been such a bonus and probably have been the best years of their career.

I may be in the minority on this but I'm still in a celebratory mood about the whole thing. They left us with so much fruity goodness that I really can't look at it any other way. But I'm not in the band (obviously!) so I'm spared the fallout from that. I just feel so lucky to have been along for the ride for all of these years..

To be honest, I really didn't think this last tour was ever going to happen.. I'd thought I'd seen my last Rush show in 2013. There may have been some serious behind the scenes stuff going on to pull it out of the fire. It's possible we'll never really know though.

It's seems like such a strange feeling, but I'm really at peace with it.

I thought I'd seen my last Rush show in 1997. So everything since then is gravy. Rocket sauce gravy.

• Like 2

Guys and gals......it is probably over for touring. I think we all know this.

But remember.....Alex and Geddy love to get together and jam...and all of a sudden they have oodles of jams they recorded...they send it to Neil. Neil get's the itch to compose. They get together to have a jam session, inspiration hits. They get into a studio...drink some wine.

A new album emerges. The spark is lit again.

You never know......

• Like 1

I think Geddy should keep on making music. Whether he does another solo album, puts together a super group or guests on other people's albums. He should keep going. He's got all those basses now, might as well put them to good use.
  • Like 4

I would be willing to forgive all of them if they release a 6-cd collection of studio outtakes. Maybe some day we'll see something like that once the Rush boys need more money for their wine collections.

There already are a bunch of studio outtakes available somewhere. Don't know where the person that sent them to me got them from so I can't tell you where to go to get them, but surely someone on here can help you with that.

I got to be at 4 shows this year, so I'm obviously grateful and satisfied for myself. I do feel for the fans outside of North America though who kinda got screwed. True that Neil and the other guys OWE us nothing more. But it would've been a nice gesture on his part to agree to a short second leg next year to say goodbye to at least the European fans who have supported the band for so long. I'm ok with never seeing the band again here in the states and I realize they're too old at this point to tour the entire planet. It just feels like as a farewell, it's ending in sort of an awkward incomplete fashion. And it sounds like Geddy feels the same way without directly saying it.

I understand folks abroad feeling slighted, but I have to say that I think it would seem very, very wrong if the last Rush show ever was not in Canada or The United States.

I understand folks abroad feeling slighted, but I have to say that I think it would seem very, very wrong if the last Rush show ever was not in Canada or The United States.

Why does that matter....?

I would be willing to forgive all of them if they release a 6-cd collection of studio outtakes. Maybe some day we'll see something like that once the Rush boys need more money for their wine collections.

There already are a bunch of studio outtakes available somewhere. Don't know where the person that sent them to me got them from so I can't tell you where to go to get them, but surely someone on here can help you with that.

If i were Rush I'd release anything that still remained (and I wouldn't be surprised if the Ray Daniels of the world talk them into it down the road). Didn't Pink Floyd just release a "new" studio album which was mostly outtakes from the "Division Bell" sessions?

Give them a year or two folks. They are coming off one of the busiest times of their career and just need a rest.

Here's how it's going to play out:

The band is going to stay pretty quiet through 2016. Then they'll get together and decide that it's time to do a studio project, but no plans to tour. Around the time they get that done, Neil is going to find that his daughter's focus is shifting away from her parents being the center of her world as she gets more into sports, friends, school, etc (it happens when kids get into elementary school). And then he's going to conclude that being away for a couple weeks at a time isn't such a big deal and 65 isn't to old to get out there and tour again.

You read it here first.

• Like 3

Give them a year or two folks. They are coming off one of the busiest times of their career and just need a rest.

Here's how it's going to play out:

The band is going to stay pretty quiet through 2016. Then they'll get together and decide that it's time to do a studio project, but no plans to tour. Around the time they get that done, Neil is going to find that his daughter's focus is shifting away from her parents being the center of her world as she gets more into sports, friends, school, etc (it happens when kids get into elementary school). And then he's going to conclude that being away for a couple weeks at a time isn't such a big deal and 65 isn't to old to get out there and tour again.

You read it here first.

Oh god I hope not. I have no interest in seeing them touring at 65. I think they should just quit while they're ahead. Sure go ahead and release some studio albums if they want to, I'd be excited for that.