Who is your favourite old school thrash metal band? That's your own personal favourite, not the biggest or the fastest or the daftest!

treeduck

THE TRF THRASH FAVOURITE POLL  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favourite old school thrash metal band?

• Metallica
    • Megadeth
    • Slayer
    • Anthrax
    • Exodus
    • Overkill
    • Testament
    • Kreator
    • Sodom
    • Death
    • Sepultura
    • Death Angel
    • Voivod
    • Pantera
    • Annihilator
    • Forbidden
    • Venom
    • Metal Church
    • Dark Angel
    • Nuclear Assault
    • Exciter
    • Sacred Reich
    • Flotsam and Jetsom
    • Suicidal Tendencies
    • Coroner
    • D.R.I.
    • Toxik
    • Stormtroopers of Death
    • Destruction
    • Tankard
    • Possessed
    • Morbid Saint
    • (My thrash band favourite is not in the above list)
    • (None, I don't like thrash metal, it's too harsh for my delicate ears!)
    • (None I don't like heavy metal at all)

Mercyful Fate

They're not thrash.

Yes they are. They just delve into other areas as well.

I'm a huge fan of theirs and King Diamond and there is nothing thrash about them. Musically, they are very much traditional metal. Lyrically and image wise 80s Mercyful Fate was hugely influential to the black metal genre. So traditional/black metal sums them up perfectly.

As for this list, Megadeth gets my vote.

Megadeth is my favorite. Overkill second....Bobby Blitz is the greatest thrash frontman ever. I'm pretty fond of the German bands too (Destruction, Kreator, Sodom). So many great albums between all of these bands though.

yeah, it's hard to name a favorite when you've got 50 or so classic albums from these groups

Sabbat were amazing.

very overlooked group

I first heard of them around 06/07 when there albums were being reissued. As was Flotsam and Jetsam. Good times!

• Like 1

Sabbat were amazing.

very overlooked group

I first heard of them around 06/07 when there albums were being reissued. As was Flotsam and Jetsam. Good times!

you heard them before I did!

speaking of flotsam, big fan of doomsday and the deceiver - I've got my dad's old tape of it still. I was supposed to see them with testament and overkill a few years ago but got there too late

• Like 2

Sabbat were amazing.

very overlooked group

speaking of flotsam, big fan of doomsday and the deceiver - I've got my dad's old tape of it still. I was supposed to see them with testament and overkill a few years ago but got there too late

That's the album I heard!

Been a long time since I have played this style of music.

Anthrax gets my vote!

I almost voted for them. I really like most of what they've done and I feel that they are the overlooked band a lot of the time within the big four. I'm not sure why though? I guess I feel they should get more respect than they do but their rocky history I guess turns some people off.

Sabbat were amazing.

very overlooked group

Sabbat were amazing.

very overlooked group

Andy Sneap, Sabbat's guitar player, went on to become a successful music producer in the metal genre.

Jason Newsted played bass for Flotsam and wrote most of the lyrics on Doomsday For The Deceiver. He would then go on the replace Cliff Burton in Metallica. That is a very good album though as is the follow up No Place For Disgrace.

• Like 2

Although I like Metallica, Pantera, Megadeth and Anthrax to some degree I'm not really into thrash. I'm more into old metal and by that I mean really old metal as in the oldest. ;) Edited by New_World_Man
  • Like 1

Thrash metal was never really my taste, but I love Ride The Lightning, Master of Puppets, and Justice. What a trio.

So you're saying Meh-tallica?

No. Meh-tallica is Black Album-present.

There's none of that with OVERKILL they're still kicking serious fuckking ass today, listen to this shit: :haz: :haz: :haz:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zU1LNg-6aQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouQdIR15l-0

This is the first I've heard of these guys, and I love it. I need more.

I don't need to give you specific recommendation just buy everything! There's 17 studio albums, a couple of live albums, a couple of EPs, even the covers album they've done is bloody good! Listen to this version of Sabbath's Cornucopia. I sent this track at random to Union the other just for fun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8zBRF5krHo

:haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz:

I went to the local music store after work and ordered Bloodletting, Iron Bound, The Electric Age, White Devil Armoury.

Thrash metal was never really my taste, but I love Ride The Lightning, Master of Puppets, and Justice. What a trio.

So you're saying Meh-tallica?

No. Meh-tallica is Black Album-present.

There's none of that with OVERKILL they're still kicking serious fuckking ass today, listen to this shit: :haz: :haz: :haz:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zU1LNg-6aQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouQdIR15l-0

This is the first I've heard of these guys, and I love it. I need more.

I don't need to give you specific recommendation just buy everything! There's 17 studio albums, a couple of live albums, a couple of EPs, even the covers album they've done is bloody good! Listen to this version of Sabbath's Cornucopia. I sent this track at random to Union the other just for fun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8zBRF5krHo

I went to the local music store after work and ordered Bloodletting, Iron Bound, The Electric Age, White Devil Armoury.

Excellent! You'll love all those! :haz: :haz: :haz:

While I was a big Metallica fan in their heyday I used to listen to a lot of DRI and SOD. I went SOD. Venom? Black metal for sure.

Venom are kind of on the borderline between traditional heavy metal and thrash. They had an album out called Black Metal but that was in 1982 well before the genre of Black Metal was around and even before thrash metal was officially a genre. And it's not a black metal album really. I think the genre got it's name from that album though.

I'm not into metal now the way I was in early to mid 80s but we never included venom in the thrash category and were calling what they did black metal immediately. And the genre is named after the album. Of course, I hate category debates too.

The thing with Anthrax is that they made a series of bad decisions that almost ruined their career:

- Rushing to release State of Euphoria following their best album (Among the Living), when the band needed a break and was not happy with most songs in the album;

-Redeeming themselves with Persistence of Time but then firing their singer after a new breath of popularity;

- After years of struggles with record companies and finally regaining the fan's trust, coming up with a tour with the "classic" line up, which drove John Bush away from the band;

- Firing Beladonna a second time and hiring a third singer, who didn't last long;

- Trying to get John Bush back in the band, but not reaching an agreement, and having to settle with Beladonna - his third stint with the band.