Who is your favourite old school thrash metal band? That's your own personal favourite, not the biggest or the fastest or the daftest!

treeduck

THE TRF THRASH FAVOURITE POLL  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favourite old school thrash metal band?

• Metallica
    • Megadeth
    • Slayer
    • Anthrax
    • Exodus
    • Overkill
    • Testament
    • Kreator
    • Sodom
    • Death
    • Sepultura
    • Death Angel
    • Voivod
    • Pantera
    • Annihilator
    • Forbidden
    • Venom
    • Metal Church
    • Dark Angel
    • Nuclear Assault
    • Exciter
    • Sacred Reich
    • Flotsam and Jetsom
    • Suicidal Tendencies
    • Coroner
    • D.R.I.
    • Toxik
    • Stormtroopers of Death
    • Destruction
    • Tankard
    • Possessed
    • Morbid Saint
    • (My thrash band favourite is not in the above list)
    • (None, I don't like thrash metal, it's too harsh for my delicate ears!)
    • (None I don't like heavy metal at all)

So this thread is for you to declare who your favourite thrash band is. The band that you think is best based on your own personal tastes and sensibilities. It doesn't matter how big or insignificant the band is in terms of world wide notoriety or record sales.

Don't forget no new thrash bands, all the bands I'm listing in the poll were conceived in the 80's or even before. I've compiled the poll looosely in order of fame and richness just to make it easier to find your band.

My own personal favourite will be revealed in my next post.

:blaze: :smoke: :haz: :givebeer:

Thrash metal was never really my taste, but I love Ride The Lightning, Master of Puppets, and Justice. What a trio.

So you're saying Meh-tallica?

No. Meh-tallica is Black Album-present.

There's none of that with OVERKILL they're still kicking serious fuckking ass today, listen to this shit: :haz: :haz: :haz:

• Like 1

While I was a big Metallica fan in their heyday I used to listen to a lot of DRI and SOD. I went SOD. Venom? Black metal for sure.

Venom are kind of on the borderline between traditional heavy metal and thrash. They had an album out called Black Metal but that was in 1982 well before the genre of Black Metal was around and even before thrash metal was officially a genre. And it's not a black metal album really. I think the genre got it's name from that album though.

Thrash metal was never really my taste, but I love Ride The Lightning, Master of Puppets, and Justice. What a trio.

There's none of that with OVERKILL they're still kicking serious fuckking ass today, listen to this shit: :haz: :haz: :haz:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zU1LNg-6aQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouQdIR15l-0

This is the first I've heard of these guys, and I love it. I need more.

• Like 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zU1LNg-6aQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouQdIR15l-0

This is the first I've heard of these guys, and I love it. I need more.

I don't need to give you specific recommendation just buy everything! There's 17 studio albums, a couple of live albums, a couple of EPs, even the covers album they've done is bloody good! Listen to this version of Sabbath's Cornucopia. I sent this track at random to Union the other just for fun!

:haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz:

Mercyful Fate

They're not thrash.

Yes they are. They just delve into other areas as well.

They're heavy metal.

You're probably right. They're not a pure "thrash" band. They touch on different styles within metal. I change my official response to Exodus.

Mercyful Fate

They're not thrash.

Yes they are. They just delve into other areas as well.

They're heavy metal.

You're probably right. They're not a pure "thrash" band. They touch on different styles within metal. I change my official response to Exodus.

Thrash guys like the Slayer guys and Metallica have mentioned Mercyful Fate as a big influence and Metallica did a cover, also they've played on a lot of bills with thrash bands so that may have caused some confusion.

VOIVOD; even though their best works (Nothingface, Angel Rat and The Outer Limits) are not straight thrash.

I have been meaning to check these out since the fricken 90's. I liked what I heard back then.

They are heavily contaminated by 'proggy' vibes and for my tastes they are still Voivod peak.

As I said before, not your standard thrash albums