Gordon Lightfoot Is Still Alive! I Am Seeing Him Tomorrow In South Shore! Gonna Hit The "Carefree Highway" Baby!

RUSHHEAD666

Not sure if Gordon Lightfoot ever had a thread on here but this guy surely deserves one. He's almost the same age as my father! incredible!

This Canadian Folk Legend deserves some serious love!!

I can't wait to see him! He's on my bucket list!!

Can't wait to do some hiking too. Also going to visit Emerald Bay. I mean Emerald Desert. So sad...........

"The Wreck Of The Tahoe Queen"

Bad joke.

• Like 5

I'm willing to bet that no one will respond to this thread! It's ok! Gordon is a Canadian secret. Hit maker!

I will be in a room with many people wearing a pacemaker. LOL!

Can't fukking wait.

Edited by RUSHHEAD666

Love him. Grew up with a dad who was a huge Gordon Lightfoot fan, so heard all the albums (not just the hits) growing up. Saw him many years ago at Wolftrap in N. Virginia. To this day, whenever I see one of the Great Lakes I think of the Edmund Fitzgerald. Also used to be one of those guys who liked to sit near the end of a runway and watch airliners come and go. Would always think of Early Morning Rain (another favorite):

In the early morning rain with a dollar in my hand

With an aching in my heart and my pockets full of sand

Now, I'm a long way from home and I miss my loved ones so

In the early morning rain with no place to go

Out on runway number nine a big 707's set to go

But, I'm stuck here in the grass where the cold wind blows

Now, the liquor tasted good and the women all were fast

Well, there she goes, my friend, well she's going down at last

Hear the mighty engines roar - see the silver bird on high

She's away and westward bound - far above the clouds she'll fly

There the morning rain don't fall and the sun always shines

She'll be flying over my home in about three hours time

This old airport's got me down - it's no earthly good to me

'cause I'm stuck here on the ground as cold and drunk as I can be

You can't jump a jet plane like you can a freight train

So, I'd best be on my way in the early morning rain

You can't jump a jet plane like you can a freight train

So, I'd best be on my way in the early morning rain

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 1

Nothing wrong with his music... let us know the set list. he once said he hates going back to the earlier stuff. i would see him also Cheers.

What a wild time in South Shore! Not only did I enjoy Gordon I came home up 400 bucks after everything was paid for! Unreal! All money was won on slot machines and the Cal Bears. I took the Bears and the 8 points. Cal lost by 6. Bittersweet.

Anyway Gordon was in good spirits however he loved joking about his old age too much.

It was very mellow of course but he played all of his hits. Some songs I didn't know but just listen to "Gord's Gold" and you would get most of the set list.

He talked about "The Wreck" up north for a few minutes. Talking about the 33 men who went down with the ship.

Of course is was the longest song of the night. When Gordon was done he walked over to the side of the stage and bent over for a minute! I thought he was going to have a stroke!

He was ok but very tired.

He is a Legend and I am glad I can say that I saw him.

"Carefree Highway" was great. "Sundown" too of course.

For 76 he was great. He looked like a better looking Steve Howe to me. LOL!!!

Anyway my one night trip was fantastic.

Winning money and drinking for free.

Sounds like the title to my next song!

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with his music... let us know the set list. he once said he hates going back to the earlier stuff. i would see him also Cheers.

What a wild time in South Shore! Not only did I enjoy Gordon I came home up 400 bucks after everything was paid for! Unreal! All money was won on slot machines and the Cal Bears. I took the Bears and the 8 points. Cal lost by 6. Bittersweet.

Anyway Gordon was in good spirits however he loved joking about his old age too much.

It was very mellow of course but he played all of his hits. Some songs I didn't know but just listen to "Gord's Gold" and you would get most of the set list.

He talked about "The Wreck" up north for a few minutes. Talking about the 33 men who went down with the ship.

Of course is was the longest song of the night. When Gordon was done he walked over to the side of the stage and bent over for a minute! I thought he was going to have a stroke!

Dude. Well done. Love a bunch of his tunes due to heavy radio play back in the day.

• Like 1

Dude. Well done. Love a bunch of his tunes due to heavy radio play back in the day.

Thanks Tang! You rock!

Saw him in '77. Good show. He was famous in those days for showing up drunk and sucking as a result. Wasn't at all the case that night. He was spot on. Wreck was new back then.

That is awesome dude! You are a lucky bum! You don't look that old man! Age is useless! LIVE LONG AND ROCK HARD!

RUSH ON!

• Like 1

Saw him in '77. Good show. He was famous in those days for showing up drunk and sucking as a result. Wasn't at all the case that night. He was spot on. Wreck was new back then.

That is awesome dude! You are a lucky bum! You don't look that old man! Age is useless! LIVE LONG AND ROCK HARD!

RUSH ON!

I'm 59 and thank you for saying that I don't look that old. Oh, and I was wrong about the year I saw him. It was '79 not '77.

• Like 1

RUSH ON!

I'm 59 and thank you for saying that I don't look that old. Oh, and I was wrong about the year I saw him. It was '79 not '77.

You got it bud! Oh and still seeing him in 1979 is AWESOME!!

Cheers!

From the following article posted in Sept 2011 below:

Gordon Lightfoot brings legendary sounds of the open seas

http://www.heraldnews.com/article/20110909/NEWS/309099963

Since then, it seems it has become easier for Canadian artists to get a toehold; Rush maybe is the most notable example.

I love them. They’re great. I know Geddy [Geddy Lee, Rush lead vocalist and bassist] very well. In terms of acceptance, I think that the American side has kind of an appetite for Canadian talent. We are cousins in a certain kind of way.

Here's an older photo of Gedd Lee and Gordon Lightfoot below, which took place at the Toronto Music Awards in December 1989 when Lightfoot was presented with a Lifetime Achievement Award according to photographer Algis Kemezys that i contacted about it.

http://www.pbase.com/alkeme/image/6603044/original

Edited by RushFanForever

HAPPY FUKKING NEW YEAR!

I will either be seeing Primus alone or I will be kissing myself at midnight.

SOMETHING FOR EVERYTHING!

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!

What are you gonna give the old man for Christmas this year Earl????????????