R40 Live cover - Is it Hugh?

Look to Sirius

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/815TLhB79HL._SL1500_.jpg

I'm just wondering. According to RS, the cover uses Randy Johnson's photos. http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/watch-exhilarating-trailer-for-rushs-concert-film-r40-live-20151008

Would Hugh use Randy's photo, or is this a signal that Geddy was involved with cover art this time (since Randy and Geddy are buds)?

Neil's arm(s) are missing. Would Hugh allow this oversight?

The cover reminds me of 2112 a bit, mainly the stars on top. Would Hugh mine his own 2112 cover, and only 2112, for this one?

Font. It's too.. something. Not exactly a Hugh-like font. Maybe I'm crazy, but would that font have been Hugh's first choice? It looks similar to Permanent Waves' RUSH. He's used nondescript font before, so maybe I'm crazy.

The disco ball is so prominent. Not that I think there's necessarily something wrong with how it looks, but does that look like a Hugh move?

I don't know. It looks alright, but it's just not really saying "Hugh Syme" to me for some reason I can't quite place.

Thoughts? Discuss.

Edited by Look to Sirius

Kind of cheesy looking truth be told in my view. I am tired of hearing about R40, CD, DVD, Blu Ray whatever already however so there is that. I just hope its good when and if I finally get my hands on it... :)
  • Like 2

Yick, RUSH and disco balls don't mix.

Save that shit for KISS' Dynasty album or something :)

• Like 1

That...can't possibly be Hugh. It's way, wayyyy too hideous to be Hugh. 90's font with a gradient color, amateur photoshop sky, and a disco ball?

No, I can't allow myself to believe this is Hugh.

I wish they would just re-purpose the r40 package that came out last year, and alter it a bit. That was much, muuuuch more aesthetically pleasing.

• Like 2

Yick, RUSH and disco balls don't mix.

Save that shit for KISS' Dynasty album or something :)

Well, yes.

The disco ball was only a brief part of their early history, so I wonder why does it deserve such prominence on the cover? To me it seems it was an esthetics choice of the cover designer above all other considerations.

• Like 1

I love that artwork!

Seems so cozy and quaint!

• Like 1

Could that disco ball be a result of our jokes about The Weapon?

What is the story behind the disco ball? Was it a concert thing?

Another thing, and I should edit my OP. That is, the CD cover.

http://smarturl.it/R40LIVE3CD

As depicted on amazon, it's the rectangle DVD cover slapped onto a CD square. If this is the actual CD cover, there was no effort into making the CD cover uniform, so to speak. Very un-Hugh-like, IMO.

Edited to add, I actually posted the CD cover in my OP, so its awkwardness is on display here.

Edited by Look to Sirius

All will be answered when this is released and we can read the credits :D

Oh no.... we are a pathetic lot... there will be polls and debates and flame wars about the release of this live album. It's just not in our nature to say "we'll see it soon".

One question.... are we still in spoiler mode or can we talk about the track listing?! :P

• Like 1

Oh no.... we are a pathetic lot... there will be polls and debates and flame wars about the release of this live album. It's just not in our nature to say "we'll see it soon".

One question.... are we still in spoiler mode or can we talk about the track listing?! :P

Well, I'd say geeky lot, not pathetic. It's a new Rush release. When but now to geek out?? :LOL:

• Like 2

Could that disco ball be a result of our jokes about The Weapon?

What is the story behind the disco ball? Was it a concert thing?

Yes. During the encore when they had the gymnasium set going... which is also the same set pictured on the cover.

It seems me the cover is, in general, referencing the early days nod. Makes sense given the surprise songs they included, the format of the shows, and the overall nostalgia feel of the entire tour.

The thing about Neil not having arms? Maybe that's a subtle reminder Neil wasn't the drummer in the early days!? (Joking, of course)

I do think the stars are a nod to 2112 as it was the album that gave them the freedom to be Rush, but they could also be for an aesthetic need to balance out the fact the drum kit has two prominent Starman logos.

Well, I'd say geeky lot, not pathetic. It's a new Rush release. When but now to geek out?? :LOL:

Stick around a while, you will find out.... we can be pretty pathetic!

• Like 2

My take is that if they wanted to do a look from the concert during that segment there are better shots where the disco ball is not so prominent, and the boys are taken at a better angle. Over all it is ok, but not my favorite look.
  • Like 1

No, don't post the track listing! Spoiler alert, spoiler alert! :16ton:

As depicted on amazon, it's the rectangle DVD cover slapped onto a CD square. If this is the actual CD cover, there was no effort into making the CD cover uniform, so to speak. Very un-Hugh-like, IMO.

Edited to add, I actually posted the CD cover in my OP, so its awkwardness is on display here.

I am 100% sure that isn't the CD cover. I have no proof of this, but I'm willing to bet money. I'm sure it will just be a cropped version of the DVD cover, like CA Live, but there is no way that image is the final design.

• Like 3

I am 100% sure that isn't the CD cover. I have no proof of this, but I'm willing to bet money. I'm sure it will just be a cropped version of the DVD cover, like CA Live, but there is no way that image is the final design.

I hope you're right, because if that's the actual CD cover with the bare left/right borders, it screams "we didn't care about the CD cover".

• Like 2

I hope you're right, because if that's the actual CD cover with the bare left/right borders, it screams "we didn't care about the CD cover".

From the Rush website:

http://www.rushbackstage.com/images/products/RU/R4/RUR4CDSR40000_000.jpg?preset=details

• Like 2

From the Rush website:

http://www.rushbackstage.com/images/products/RU/R4/RUR4CDSR40000_000.jpg?preset=details

Thanks! Glad to see that. I'll take that back off my OP.

From the Rush website:

The bass drums and mirror ball look egg shaped and Geddy has got some wide hips!

Edited by Mr. JD