R40 Live cover - Is it Hugh?

Look to Sirius

Maybe the aesthetic is just in keeping with the moment from their career re-imagined on stage at this time - a band playing high school dances under a disco ball, a band not making much money. In other words, maybe the tackiness is "on purpose."

They were on their down the tubes tour when disco saw the light of day, so I'm not sure it has anything to do with Rush at any point in their career.

But I'm sure you are right in that there is a good reason for the picture they chose. We just don't know what that reason is. :)

Indeed. 1975... :codger:

Maybe the aesthetic is just in keeping with the moment from their career re-imagined on stage at this time - a band playing high school dances under a disco ball, a band not making much money. In other words, maybe the tackiness is "on purpose."

They were on their down the tubes tour when disco saw the light of day, so I'm not sure it has anything to do with Rush at any point in their career.

But I'm sure you are right in that there is a good reason for the picture they chose. We just don't know what that reason is. :)

I just looked it up and Love To Love You Baby came out towards the end of 75. Fly Robin Fly came out earlier that year. Disco staples right there. I would break out the Official TRF Ball if I weren't on my phone. How do you put the trademark on something Lorraine? If anything should have it our disco ball should... :LOL:
  • Like 1

I just looked it up and Love To Love You Baby came out towards the end of 75. Fly Robin Fly came out earlier that year. Disco staples right there. I would break out the Official TRF Ball if I weren't on my phone. How do you put the trademark on something Lorraine? If anything should have it our disco ball should... :LOL:

Narps, you get all the credit for the disco ball. If I remember correctly, you were the one who brought it here after some member said The Weapon was a disco tune. :)

What Rush should have done is to include a "Thank you to Narps, of TRF fame, for the disco ball inspiration" in the little R40 booklet. Along with a little something in the mail to you to further show their appreciation. :)

• Like 1

Narps, you get all the credit for the disco ball. If I remember correctly, you were the one who brought it here after some member said The Weapon was a disco tune. :)

What Rush should have done is to include a "Thank you to Narps, of TRF fame, for the disco ball inspiration" in the little R40 booklet. Along with a little something in the mail to you to further show their appreciation. :)

Amen. This post of yours got me out of bed and to the laptop :madra: ....

:dweez: :dweez: :dweez:

Disco_ball4.jpg

• Like 1

Here's a conspiracy theory. Were Neil's arms removed out of spite? You pull the plug on your band, we take your arms away. :P

I've considered this. :(

It's probably nothing nefarious really, but I do find it a little astonishing how minimized Neil is in that image. Alex and Geddy look like giants in full rock star pose. And in between, it looks like a Neil head was just pasted in above the drum kit. He looks almost child sized in comparison. Wonder if he's even seen this. Or maybe he has and his approval is another sign he doesn't give a **** anymore.

Just stop it already. It's a Randy Johnson photo. It's not Hugh Syme. Neil's arms are obscured by rack toms. You can clearly see his hand in the middle. He's seated behind a very large kit, and he's farther back than Geddy and Alex, so of course he looks small. Geez. "Waaaah waaah! They used a photo instead of commissioning a major work of art for a live album!" Anyone remember the ATWAS cover? Anyone remember the Replay X 3 cover? It's not a new studio album. Get over it already.

OK, chill the hell out and come down from Condescension Mountain. The very first thing I said was that I don't really believe it's a doctored photo to minimize Neil, it just LOOKS like it. I'm not whining about the cover. Ultimately I don't give a **** what's on the cover as long as the content is good. Congratulations, you've proven you know more about the origin of the photo than I do. Hopefully you feel super swell about yourself now. :eyeroll:

Even the Grateful Dead had disco balls in the 70s.Anyway why has Geddy got an amp and Alex hasn't?Could have just photoshopped a small amp (or dryer)fo Alex.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/815TLhB79HL._SL1500_.jpg

I'm just wondering. According to RS, the cover uses Randy Johnson's photos. http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/watch-exhilarating-trailer-for-rushs-concert-film-r40-live-20151008

Would Hugh use Randy's photo, or is this a signal that Geddy was involved with cover art this time (since Randy and Geddy are buds)?

Neil's arm(s) are missing. Would Hugh allow this oversight?

The cover reminds me of 2112 a bit, mainly the stars on top. Would Hugh mine his own 2112 cover, and only 2112, for this one?

Font. It's too.. something. Not exactly a Hugh-like font. Maybe I'm crazy, but would that font have been Hugh's first choice? It looks similar to Permanent Waves' RUSH. He's used nondescript font before, so maybe I'm crazy.

The disco ball is so prominent. Not that I think there's necessarily something wrong with how it looks, but does that look like a Hugh move?

I don't know. It looks alright, but it's just not really saying "Hugh Syme" to me for some reason I can't quite place.

Thoughts? Discuss.

I don't like it. I don't think it's a good photo for one thing. They just like Randy. It just doesn't reflect the awesomeness of the R40 experience. It doesn't really do them justice at all. I don't like the bland font or the disco ball. And it doesn't match any of the tour's theme or artwork either. Very disappointing. It would've been neat to have them seated in their beach chairs. Raising a toast or something. Oh well...

It's what's inside that counts & that will be awesome!

Edited by gypsy muse

Narps and I are just joking, Toymaker. :eh:

Nice to see they did the Charleston by the light of the disco ball before Black Friday (or was it Tuesday? :unsure: - well, whatever :)) woke them all up. :cool: :LOL:

:rage: :laughing guy:

That...can't possibly be Hugh. It's way, wayyyy too hideous to be Hugh. 90's font with a gradient color, amateur photoshop sky, and a disco ball?

No, I can't allow myself to believe this is Hugh.

I wish they would just re-purpose the r40 package that came out last year, and alter it a bit. That was much, muuuuch more aesthetically pleasing.

I agree!!!

I think the cover would be way cooler if there were little X-wing fighters attacking the disco ball.

http://posterwire.com/wp-content/uploads/star_wars_hildebrandt_art.jpg

I don't like the cover either. What I don't get is that out of the thousands of pics they must have had taken during all the shows by their crew they chose this one to go on to the cover.

Imho this ought to have been the cover:

rush-r40-plus.jpg

Edited by Catch The Mystery
  • Like 1

OK, chill the hell out and come down from Condescension Mountain. The very first thing I said was that I don't really believe it's a doctored photo to minimize Neil, it just LOOKS like it. I'm not whining about the cover. Ultimately I don't give a **** what's on the cover as long as the content is good. Congratulations, you've proven you know more about the origin of the photo than I do. Hopefully you feel super swell about yourself now. :eyeroll:

Yeah, I'm the one who needs to come down to earth. Right. The guy who isn't making crazy grandiose theories up about why Neil's clearly-visible hand is not really there, or why the guys who created an image for a plastic box didn't go, "Gee, I really hope those guys on TRF who constantly criticize Neil's attitude, facial exp<b></b>ression, writing style, drum set choices, discomfort with fans, political views, and brand of underwear approve of this choice of concert photo and font!" I'm also not the guy complaining about anything except certain people's constant bitchy, whiney, "I could've done a far superior gallery-worthy masterpiece of marketing genius on this, and Neil doesn't care enough about me!" complaining. Who needs to come down from their mountain again? Oh yeah, I do! I'm soooooo important! Rush had better come give me a pedicure and lick my feet if they expect me to buy this release, because the packaging is not up to my discerning standards of packaging greatness.

Edited by HalfwayToGone

I can only imagine once this comes out...."Oh, and that camera angle...awful. I would have been a far more Oscar-worthy director of this concert video! And the mix is just terrible! They should've let me engineer and master this, because that other guy that they used is a hack! And I'm sure they hired doppelgangers to replace every audience member in the venue, because that guy in the upper bowl in the last row had a hair that clearly was out of place in a way that can only mean he's wearing a wig. And why did Geddy move his foot that way in the middle of RTB???? Was he triggering his hologram replacement to do the rest of the show??"

You know it! I tell ya, some folks really know how to suck every iota of joy out of being a Rush fan.

You seem to be doing a fine job of it yourself. ;)

• Like 1