Power Ballads: Love them or Hate them?

fraroc

33 members have voted

1. 1. Do you love power ballads or hate them?

• Love them.
    • Hate them.
    • I like a few here and there.
    • I generally dislike them but there are one or two I tolerate.
    • I have no opinion.

Hate them, unequivocally. No exceptions. Home Sweet Home and Every Rose ... are probably the most obnoxious offenders (apologies to Goose), but anything that inspires the raising of lighters at a concert should be banned, IMO. Get enough Democrats in office and we can get anything banned in the interest of public safety. Not enough to make me go with Hillary or Bernie but it's a thought.

Edit: Well, one exception would be Journey's Don't Stop Believing, but Journey was all about power ballads anyway; they weren't betraying any bad-ass M.O.

I can't stand elitists like you. You're all responsible for the death of 80s style music and the fun of rock n' roll.

Your attitude, the attitude of modern rock and grunge are all responsible for tearing the heart and soul from music.

I might argue that power ballads may be one of the most soulless and artificial things in music.... It's hard to make them actually work.

Signed,

Another elitist

Edited by Union 5-3992
  • Like 3

Hate them, unequivocally. No exceptions. Home Sweet Home and Every Rose ... are probably the most obnoxious offenders (apologies to Goose), but anything that inspires the raising of lighters at a concert should be banned, IMO. Get enough Democrats in office and we can get anything banned in the interest of public safety. Not enough to make me go with Hillary or Bernie but it's a thought.

Edit: Well, one exception would be Journey's Don't Stop Believing, but Journey was all about power ballads anyway; they weren't betraying any bad-ass M.O.

I can't stand elitists like you. You're all responsible for the death of 80s style music and the fun of rock n' roll.

Your attitude, the attitude of modern rock and grunge are all responsible for tearing the heart and soul from music.

I might argue that power ballads may be one of the most soulless and artificial things in music.... It's hard to make them actually work.

Signed,

Another elitist

How so?

Signed,

Another elitist

I think "in" or "un" authentic whichever is the proper word would be the word I would use to describe them... :huh:

There's something so unbelievably corny and insincere about it. Very few have moved me. Heart and Journey are up there simply for the talent of both bands. It's like tying so hard to make something sound emotional, but at the same time you want it to be a big hit. It's like selling off you heartache for a number one single. To sound like a proper snob, I'd call it selling out kinda. To me, songs that often convey the best sadness are the ones that you discover as a deep cut. Edited by Union 5-3992
  • Like 1

O dear fraroc...

Don't I have a right to respond?

Don't others have a right to their own view?

Works both ways.

And if I have a right to respond, I will say this:

For goodness dude, lighten up or shut up.

• Like 2

There's something so unbelievably corny and insincere about it. Very few have moved me. Heart and Journey are up there simply for the talent of both bands. It's like tying so hard to make something sound emotional, but at the same time you want it to be a big hit. It's like selling off you heartache for a number one single. Selling out to sound like a real snob.

I know what you mean.

I love the cheese. The cheese is great! How often do I play a Foreigner album and sense real emotion? Rarely. I go to that sort of rock for the fun of it all!

There's something so unbelievably corny and insincere about it. Very few have moved me. Heart and Journey are up there simply for the talent of both bands. It's like tying so hard to make something sound emotional, but at the same time you want it to be a big hit. It's like selling off you heartache for a number one single. To sound like a proper snob, I'd call it selling out kinda. To me, songs that often convey the best sadness are the ones that you discover as a deep cut.

Here is the flaw in your logic. How do you know that it was all ingenuine? Some ballads are very moving and musically powerful like No Stranger To Love and Love Bites, reading through some lyrics, I just don't buy that and I don't think it's true. I could be wrong though.

You have no idea, I have no idea. No opinion is greater than the other.

There's something so unbelievably corny and insincere about it. Very few have moved me. Heart and Journey are up there simply for the talent of both bands. It's like tying so hard to make something sound emotional, but at the same time you want it to be a big hit. It's like selling off you heartache for a number one single. To sound like a proper snob, I'd call it selling out kinda. To me, songs that often convey the best sadness are the ones that you discover as a deep cut.

Here is the flaw in your logic. How do you know that it was all ingenuine? Some ballads are very moving and musically powerful like No Stranger To Love and Love Bites, reading through some lyrics, I just don't buy that and I don't think it's true. I could be wrong though.

And yet to take offense to any opinion not your own, and accuse individuals for destroying an entire ERA of music?

Dude you are a nutty nut nutter!

• Like 2

The two best in my opinion, at least off the top of my head are "Sister Christian" by Night Ranger and Journey's "don't stop believing." I think Journey might even have invented the power ballad(not sure). Edited by New_World_Man

I don't know iif they are nsincere.....i just know i find how overblown they are very endearing, lol

Mick

I'VE BEEN WAITTIIIIIIIIING...

complete it

I'm speaking in a subjective sense, so there isnt a lot of logic and facts. Just how I feel when I hear certain songs. Ballads usually leave me feeling little to nothing. If you enjoy them, more power to ya I guess

• Like 1

I'm speaking in a subjective sense, so there isnt a lot of logic and facts. Just how I feel when I hear certain songs. Ballads usually leave me feeling little to nothing. If you enjoy them, more power to ya I guess

BUT YOU ARE WRONG

YOU DESTROYED AN ENTIRE ERA WITH YOUR WRONGNESS

YOU ARE SO WRONG

but it is OK we all have opinions. No one is wrong.

BUT YOU KILLED HAIR METAL, YOU AND ALL LIKE YOU!

so much emotion in power ballads bro

BUT YOU TORE THE HEART AND SOUL FROM ROCK MUSIC!

• Like 1

I don't know iif they are nsincere.....i just know i find how overblown they are very endearing, lol

Mick

complete it

FOR A GIRL LIKE YOU.........TO COME INTO MY LIFE!!!!!!!!

i think that's what you're referring to, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

Mick

complete it

FOR A GIRL LIKE YOU.........YO COME INTO MY LIFE!!!!!!!!

i think that's what you're referring to, lol

Mick

I was actually referring to my late pizza, but this was close enough haha

• Like 1

And yet to take offense to any opinion not your own, and accuse individuals for destroying an entire ERA of music?

It's not the opinion, it's a systematic attitude.

It's not the opinion, it's a systematic attitude.

http://i.imgur.com/EIav2oj.gif

Maybe I'm amazed by this thread!

http://gifsec.com/wp-content/uploads/GIF/2014/10/Wat-GIF.gif?gs=a

I don't believe hair metal itself killed metal like most people blame it for. I personally believe that Hair metal WAS the embodiment of rock n roll in the 80s and when people started bellyaching about "oh just a bunch of lame bands with big hair and makeup" that really took a major stab at the genre.

Lets be honest, was grunge really that good? Was nu-metal really that good?

Your thread should have been titled, "Power Ballads: Tell Me That You Love Them!" The title you used led me to believe you were looking for diverse opinions. Besides, I did think of one other, if it counts, Pat Benatar's We Belong. Angelic choirs of kids in white clothes, candles, lakes, mist; probably a unicorn or two that I might have missed. More cheese than can be accounted for. But, I love the song anyway. I love Pat and her husband's guitar. And someone mentioned Heart. That's one I overlooked. I could watch the Wilson sisters power ballad all day.

No matter, I'll go home and recommence my nightly ritual of throwing caviar and pointed barbs of witty critiques at my tv while I watch VH1 Classics with upturned nose.

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 2

I don't believe hair metal itself killed metal like most people blame it for. I personally believe that Hair metal WAS the embodiment of rock n roll in the 80s and when people started bellyaching about "oh just a bunch of lame bands with big hair and makeup" that really took a major stab at the genre.

Lets be honest, was grunge really that good? Was nu-metal really that good?

To those who enjoy it yes.

Three years ago I would have agreed Grunge was better. And nu metal, at its best, connected with a lot of people.

Why do you worry? Like what you like and leave it at that.

• Like 1