Power Ballads: Love them or Hate them?

fraroc

33 members have voted

1. 1. Do you love power ballads or hate them?

• Love them.
    • Hate them.
    • I like a few here and there.
    • I generally dislike them but there are one or two I tolerate.
    • I have no opinion.

I make no mistake, I love hair metal and I'm proud of that fact as well and I am personally sick and tired of the elitism against that genre by other metal and rock fans.

With that said, I f***ing LOVE power ballads. To me, power ballads are evidence that rock n' roll can have a heart and proves that the 80s wasn't ALL about sex and drugs. A lot of beautiful songs came out of that period and no one wants to acknowledge their existence.

• Like 1

Meh. An album full of songs about screwing anything that walks and one song about expressing your undying love for one special woman.

Gee, wonder which is more believable? :huh: :wacko:

Edited by laughedatbytime
  • Like 2

Meh. An album full of songs about screwing anything that walks and one song about expressing your undying love for one special woman.

Gee, wonder which is more believable? :huh: :wacko:

Believable? Meh. But that one power ballad is your ticket in. ;)

I wouldn't say love, but I generally like them for the most part. It showed a bit of versatility in a band and whether they could actually write a decent melody.

Heart "Alone" will always turn this grumpy Neanderthal man Into a teddy bear

I have a soft spot for These Dreams. Call me an old softie... ;)

Most of them suck, but if theres a good guitar solo it can redeem the whole thing.

These Dreams is a great song!

Here's a nice performance of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRLyfZDi-bI

My favorites are:

High Enough (Damn Yankees)

Without You (Motley Crue)

Amanda (Boston)

Love Song (Tesla)

Love Bites (Def Leppard)

Sister Christian (Night Ranger)

Hate them, unequivocally. No exceptions. Home Sweet Home and Every Rose ... are probably the most obnoxious offenders (apologies to Goose), but anything that inspires the raising of lighters at a concert should be banned, IMO. Get enough Democrats in office and we can get anything banned in the interest of public safety. Not enough to make me go with Hillary or Bernie but it's a thought.

Edit: Well, one exception would be Journey's Don't Stop Believing, but Journey was all about power ballads anyway; they weren't betraying any bad-ass M.O.

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 1

Hate them, unequivocally. No exceptions. Home Sweet Home and Every Rose ... are probably the most obnoxious offenders (apologies to Goose), but anything that inspires the raising of lighters at a concert should be banned, IMO. Get enough Democrats in office and we can get anything banned in the interest of public safety. Not enough to make me go with Hillary or Bernie but it's a thought.

Edit: Well, one exception would be Journey's Don't Stop Believing, but Journey was all about power ballads anyway; they weren't betraying any bad-ass M.O.

I can't stand elitists like you. You're all responsible for the death of 80s style music and the fun of rock n' roll.

Your attitude, the attitude of modern rock and grunge are all responsible for tearing the heart and soul from music.

Edited by fraroc

:goodone: Agreed and the Journey statement at the end is really on point. They changed and everyone knew it. Really no different than Chicago. They went from a bad@ss rock/jazz fusion band to a power ballad hit maker band and everyone with eyes and ears knew it. I was a big Journey fan (the only band my wife and I really had in common) and knew what was going on. Infinity is still their best work...

Signed,

Elitist @sshole :D

• Like 2

I can't stand elitists like you. You're all responsible for the death of 80s style music and the fun of rock n' roll.

Your attitude, the attitude of modern rock and grunge are all responsible for tearing the heart and soul from music.

O dear fraroc...

• Like 1

O dear fraroc...

O dear fraroc...

Indeed. Geez...
  • Like 1

O dear fraroc...

Don't I have a right to respond?