Tell me a story...

Lost In Xanadu

Tell me a story about you. Something from your childhood, something from last week - whatever you want to share.

I have a lot of them, and I will share one of my favorite to start out...

When I was growing up, Santa brought me a cool (to me at the time) BMX bike. It was red with yellow mag wheels. He also brought my brother a red wagon. One summer day, I decided to take my bike out around the neighborhood, and my mom asked that I take my brother with me. He was only 2 years younger but did not master riding a bike yet. We decided the best solution was to tie the wagon to my bike and I'd pull him around behind me. Went to the garage and found a length of rope, likely about 20 feet (we dare not cut it because my dad didn't like us messing with his stuff). Tied one end to the wagon and the other to the seat stem of my bike. Up and down our dead-end street we went, testing it out... everything looked good. On the last run up the street, made the turn to head back and my brother yelled "go fast!" As I started really pumping, the rope came untied from the wagon. I hear my brother yelling, I turn back and laugh at him, and really started pedaling faster without the extra weight. Little did I know, the end of the rope got stuck between the road and the tire of a parked car. My bike came immediately to a stop when the rope tightened, sending me over the handlebars... and onto a fire hydrant of all things. I hit it with my side, rolled over the top and smashed my face on the curb. I fractured some ribs, a tooth and shredded my lips.

• Like 5

I'll add a bike crash story as well.

I was about 7-8. My friend Paul and I were riding our bikes down the street. It was hot in the summer and we only wearing our swimsuits. His mom pulled up next to us and said she was going to the store down the hill. We decided to go along side and see how fast we could go, she was reading out the speedometer to us. We're flying down this hill and my front tire starts to wobble a bit, and then gets worse very quickly. Before I could start to slow down my front tire comes right off the forks and takes off down the hill by itself. The bike went forward jamming the forks into the pavement very effectively stopping the bike and only the bike.

I went over the handlebars, essentially in a superman pose. I hit the ground in about a 6-7 point stance and slid, both hands, both knees, my chest and the tops of my feet; kind of like a Pete Rose headfirst slide. I have no idea how far I slid. I still can't believe I don't have any scars. Both hands, both feet and both knees were shredded and bleeding. The left half of my chest and stomach was raw and bleeding. My friends mom took me into the grocery store bathroom (that was the closest place) to try and get me cleaned up. All I remember after that is lots and lots of very bloody brown paper-towels.

• Like 2

This happened last October, around Halloween or so.

October during college is career season, and it was thick with interviews. I was shooting for a Software Engineering internship for just about anywhere different than where I interned at the previous summer (Principal Financial Group). I was extremely lucky to get an interview with Microsoft on campus, and was even luckier to make it to the final round, a day of interviews in Seattle.

Two days before I was supposed to fly out I caught a nasty cold. By the time I flew out of Des Moines, it developed into an ear infection in addition to my burning throat. Somewhere over the course of the connecting flight from Twin Cities to Seattle my right eardrum ruptured and I was in extreme pain for the rest of the day. I had my interviews next morning, and of course they were brutal whiteboard coding interviews, and I was the sickest I had been in probably 10 years. By the time I flew back home, I had laryngitis and missed the next 3 days of lecture.

Needless to say, I didn't get the job, and I had trouble hearing out of my right ear until lots of antibiotics and steroids to heal the eardrum completed the healing process about a month later. Now it's October again and this time I'm looking for full-time and I'm worrying that this shit could happen again :scared:

• Like 1

Tell me a story about you. Something from your childhood, something from last week - whatever you want to share.

I have a lot of them, and I will share one of my favorite to start out...

When I was growing up, Santa brought me a cool (to me at the time) BMX bike. It was red with yellow mag wheels. He also brought my brother a red wagon. One summer day, I decided to take my bike out around the neighborhood, and my mom asked that I take my brother with me. He was only 2 years younger but did not master riding a bike yet. We decided the best solution was to tie the wagon to my bike and I'd pull him around behind me. Went to the garage and found a length of rope, likely about 20 feet (we dare not cut it because my dad didn't like us messing with his stuff). Tied one end to the wagon and the other to the seat stem of my bike. Up and down our dead-end street we went, testing it out... everything looked good. On the last run up the street, made the turn to head back and my brother yelled "go fast!" As I started really pumping, the rope came untied from the wagon. I hear my brother yelling, I turn back and laugh at him, and really started pedaling faster without the extra weight. Little did I know, the end of the rope got stuck between the road and the tire of a parked car. My bike came immediately to a stop when the rope tightened, sending me over the handlebars... and onto a fire hydrant of all things. I hit it with my side, rolled over the top and smashed my face on the curb. I fractured some ribs, a tooth and shredded my lips.

Hows your brother ? :)

• Like 1

October during college is career season, and it was thick with interviews. I was shooting for a Software Engineering internship for just about anywhere different than where I interned at the previous summer (Principal Financial Group). I was extremely lucky to get an interview with Microsoft on campus, and was even luckier to make it to the final round, a day of interviews in Seattle.

Two days before I was supposed to fly out I caught a nasty cold. By the time I flew out of Des Moines, it developed into an ear infection in addition to my burning throat. Somewhere over the course of the connecting flight from Twin Cities to Seattle my right eardrum ruptured and I was in extreme pain for the rest of the day. I had my interviews next morning, and of course they were brutal whiteboard coding interviews, and I was the sickest I had been in probably 10 years. By the time I flew back home, I had laryngitis and missed the next 3 days of lecture.

Needless to say, I didn't get the job, and I had trouble hearing out of my right ear until lots of antibiotics and steroids to heal the eardrum completed the healing process about a month later. Now it's October again and this time I'm looking for full-time and I'm worrying that this shit could happen again :scared:

Oh no, that sounds like the worst! Was your doctor friendly? I know they are careful now with antibiotics but given your history, maybe you could ask them for a course of antibiotics to keep with you in case you have ear symptoms again. Tell them about the hearing trouble, you are trying to get a real life job and you are very worried about the symptoms coming back while you are out of town. Don't just call the health center; go in to see the Dr. face to face. If that doesn't work, go in right away if you start feeling ill again. (not Dr. recommended BUT-) even if it is the 1st or 2nd day tell them you have been sick for 4 days. That is the point where they decide it is bacterial rather then viral and they will give you antibiotics.

(Sorry if I sound weird, I am lucky enough to have good health insurance but a family member didn't for many years and learned how to make the most of each Dr. visit.)

Speaking of weird vehicle stories, a few years ago, my 19 yr old daughter was out in the driveway with friends at night and then ran in the house and grabbed her bike helmet and yelled "Don't ask any questions!" and left. So I didn't. One hour later, the doorbell rings, I open it, and she is standing there crying with a policeman. It turned out to be hilarious, thank goodness. She and 2 guy friends were so bored they attached an old recliner to a small moving dolly, basically a piece of plywood with 4 casters on it. Then they attached it to the back of friend Matt's station wagon with a rope and were pulling it through our neighborhood at the wild speed of like 6 mph. She was sitting in the recliner (thus the bike helmet.) Someone in our neighborhood thought it looked "extremely dangerous" for the "little girl" and called the police. It was so hard not to bust out laughing in the officer's face with this contraption parked in our driveway. He was really nice but just just wanted to tell me they had to put SUPERCHAIR away for the night. I thanked him and he said, " No problem, this is the first time I've ever been on a call like this where the kids are sober!" Poor daughter got teased the entire summer . . . .

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp338/plantfan40/Unknown-5.jpeg

• Like 2

Oh no, that sounds like the worst! Was your doctor friendly? I know they are careful now with antibiotics but given your history, maybe you could ask them for a course of antibiotics to keep with you in case you have ear symptoms again. Tell them about the hearing trouble, you are trying to get a real life job and you are very worried about the symptoms coming back while you are out of town. Don't just call the health center; go in to see the Dr. face to face. If that doesn't work, go in right away if you start feeling ill again. (not Dr. recommended BUT-) even if it is the 1st or 2nd day tell them you have been sick for 4 days. That is the point where they decide it is bacterial rather then viral and they will give you antibiotics.

(Sorry if I sound weird, I am lucky enough to have good health insurance but a family member didn't for many years and learned how to make the most of each Dr. visit.)

Nah, everything's fine now. I have a pinhole-sized hole in my right eardrum as a scar which the doctor said is actually beneficial in cases of air pressure.

• Like 1

Nah, everything's fine now. I have a pinhole-sized hole in my right eardrum as a scar which the doctor said is actually beneficial in cases of air pressure.

http://www.mikescircularfile.com/pics/Choke.gif

• Like 2

Awesome, love the stories... sorry to those of you going thru the pain with me :)

A non-bike story...

We lived on a wooded lot growing up, spent a lot of time in the woods. There was a great group of neighborhood kids, all about the same age that lived a block or two in either direction from my house. We spent nearly every day and night during the summer doing something, anything. One day we decided to build a tree fort in the woods. Found a nice big willow tree that was slightly open in the middle and enough room for at least 4-5 people. We gathered tools, scrap chunks of 2x4s, nails.... went to work. We built a ladder up the side with nails and 2x4s. One friend brought hedge clippers and was clearing brush and willow branches out of the way. He yells and grabs his face and tears start welling up. We look over and see blood dripping between his fingers. We rush him home, his mom freaks out as she realizes he cut the tip of his nose off with the hedge clippers. She sent up back into the woods to look for the tip of his nose. We could not find it, so they took a piece of skin from his butt and grafted it to his nose....

We still call him ass-face to this day.

• Like 7

Awesome, love the stories... sorry to those of you going thru the pain with me :)

A non-bike story...

We lived on a wooded lot growing up, spent a lot of time in the woods. There was a great group of neighborhood kids, all about the same age that lived a block or two in either direction from my house. We spent nearly every day and night during the summer doing something, anything. One day we decided to build a tree fort in the woods. Found a nice big willow tree that was slightly open in the middle and enough room for at least 4-5 people. We gathered tools, scrap chunks of 2x4s, nails.... went to work. We built a ladder up the side with nails and 2x4s. One friend brought hedge clippers and was clearing brush and willow branches out of the way. He yells and grabs his face and tears start welling up. We look over and see blood dripping between his fingers. We rush him home, his mom freaks out as she realizes he cut the tip of his nose off with the hedge clippers. She sent up back into the woods to look for the tip of his nose. We could not find it, so they took a piece of skin from his butt and grafted it to his nose....

I love it! This reminds me of so many stories from my neighborhood, where we ran around doing weird stuff for hours. The tip of the nose reminds me not of a kid, but of an adult!! Our next door, neighbor, Bill; (Jane's dad) was mowing the lawn, was in the driveway and reached in to clear something with his hand . . . before the days of kill bar on the mower. . . and lost half of his middle finger. Blood was spurting out, so he just wraps it up and quickly drives to the emergency room. His wife arrives home from the grocery store, pulls into the driveway, gets out of the car . . .and sees blood all over the driveway, and half of Bill's middle finger lying there! Right as she is about to start screaming or something, the phone rings and she hears it and goes in- it is Bill, calling from the ER! "Honey, can you look around and see if my finger is at home? They think they can reattach it!" She drove it over but hearing that Bill is OK made her furious over his stupid handling of the mower. She was mad for about a week. (The reattachment was not successful, sadly. It was always eerie to see his hand and remember his wife pulling in the driveway to see half a finger sitting there! :o )

• Like 4

A non painful (but hopefully funny) story that happened many years ago. We're hanging out in our family room and the phone rings. My dad picks it up and asks "who is this?". I'm assuming that the caller answered him because my dad's response was "Dick who, I know a lot of dicks?". We remind my dad of that story every so often to have a good chuckle.
  • Like 2

One time when I was like 8 I had my two golden retrievers, Harold and Zoe, on leashes. I was handling it pretty well until my neighbors let their dogs out. Harold and Zoe saw them and bolted across the street, dragging me with them while the other kids outside screamed. My arms, stomach, and knees were all scraped up. Taking a bath that night hurt like a bitch. :laughing guy:
  • Like 3

A non painful (but hopefully funny) story that happened many years ago. We're hanging out in our family room and the phone rings. My dad picks it up and asks "who is this?". I'm assuming that the caller answered him because my dad's response was "Dick who, I know a lot of dicks?". We remind my dad of that story every so often to have a good chuckle.

this reminds me of another slip of the tongue... from my brother, 5 or 6 years old. We were at a church festival, and a rather large woman spilled her coin purse. My mom tells my brother and I to go help her pick up her change. My brother finishes, looks at my mom and says "who's money is this mom? The fat lady's?" My mom just took the money from him, handed it to her and apologized. The lady said "It's ok, I know I'm fat."

• Like 2

this reminds me of another slip of the tongue... from my brother, 5 or 6 years old. We were at a church festival, and a rather large woman spilled her coin purse. My mom tells my brother and I to go help her pick up her change. My brother finishes, looks at my mom and says "who's money is this mom? The fat lady's?" My mom just took the money from him, handed it to her and apologized. The lady said "It's ok, I know I'm fat."

That's a good one and reminded me of another funny story. My youngest son (he would have been 4 years old at the time) and I were in the restroom at the Liberty Tree Tavern in Disney World. We're just finishing up and waiting to wash our hands when, out of nowhere, my son exclaims to the guy already at the sink "Hey there fat guy !!!". If was mortified.

• Like 2

I was 12 or 13, and my best buddy David and I spent a lot of time up on our roof during the summer, we had a corner lot and you could see people walking around and the cars on the corner and it was someplace we could talk about teenager stuff.

One night close to the 4th of July my Dad crawled up on the roof, he had been up to wyoming and had purchased a brick of bottle rockets--we proceed to light them off and it was his idea to shoot them down the street instead of up in the air. As a car was stopped at the stop sign one of them went right in the open window and driver turned his roof lights on. It was a police officer--we actually knew him, Ken Broadhead.

We snuck off the roof and went in the basement door just as we heard the doorbell ring--We hear Ken's voice saying to my Mom if she had heard or seen any fireworks going off that night. She said no and Officer Broadhead left. She had actually been watching out the front window.

My Mom proceeds down the stairs and when she sees my Dad with a huge smile on his face she exclaimed 'What the Hell did you do!' and then 'What the Hell are you teaching these kids'

• Like 2

I'll add a bike crash story as well.

I was about 7-8. My friend Paul and I were riding our bikes down the street. It was hot in the summer and we only wearing our swimsuits. His mom pulled up next to us and said she was going to the store down the hill. We decided to go along side and see how fast we could go, she was reading out the speedometer to us. We're flying down this hill and my front tire starts to wobble a bit, and then gets worse very quickly. Before I could start to slow down my front tire comes right off the forks and takes off down the hill by itself. The bike went forward jamming the forks into the pavement very effectively stopping the bike and only the bike.

I went over the handlebars, essentially in a superman pose. I hit the ground in about a 6-7 point stance and slid, both hands, both knees, my chest and the tops of my feet; kind of like a Pete Rose headfirst slide. I have no idea how far I slid. I still can't believe I don't have any scars. Both hands, both feet and both knees were shredded and bleeding. The left half of my chest and stomach was raw and bleeding. My friends mom took me into the grocery store bathroom (that was the closest place) to try and get me cleaned up. All I remember after that is lots and lots of very bloody brown paper-towels.

I can relate to your story,

I was about twelve yrs.old. I can't remember where my brother and sisters were at. My mom and dad decide they want to go visit a friend who lived about 30/40 miles out of town. I was told I have to go and that I could play with her son. Who was really fun to hang out with. We get there and he isn't home. Now I am walking around looking for some thing to do. Not knowing any one else in the area. I find his bike and decide to go blazing down the road they lived on. It was torn up with a lot of dirt and gravel. Get about half way down and my foot slips off the pedal and I just ate it big time! I was all messed up. Knees,elbows,hands and who knows what else. Plus it was like 100 degrees outside. I remember feeling like an idiot and wondering if any girls saw me. :P Plus, I had to walk all the way back up the hill with the bike. I was a mess. I cringe when I think about how much pain I was in. But thinking about any girls who might have seen it happen.

• Like 3

I didn't have any good bike crashes but a ball did me in once. I was chasing after one of those red rubber four square balls. I ran after it, got too close, stepped on it, and went down at full speed. Ouch. I'm still wary to this day when I run after a rolling object.
  • Like 1

A non-bike story...

I shouldn't have laughed at this, but I did.

• Like 1

I could spend a whole month in this thread. :codger:

Not in the mood to post about my finger being trapped in a folding lawn chair. Later on though. Still have a nasty scar to this day. That really sucked! :facepalm:

Edited by troutman
  • Like 2

A non-bike story...

So basically he's had his nose up his ass his entire life!

((Edited to add: Why didn't he just lie and tell you guys that the skin was from a boring part of his body like his lower back? Or somewhere cool like it was the skin of a dead man's nose?))

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 3

A non-bike story...

I shouldn't have laughed at this, but I did.

I wouldn't respect anyone that DIDN'T laugh!

• Like 2

It was 1999 and I was wandering around Prague with a couple of friends, a guy and a girl. We kept walking past bars and hearing people inside singing and stuff so we decided to go inside one to see what was going on. It turned out that a Edinburgh vs. Prague football match was going to be happening, so all these Scotsmen were in town. They seemed like a fun bunch and we stayed to party with them. Soon, the police came with their dogs to shut the bar down--I guess the barkeeps weren't used to singing and loud stuff so they called the police (no one was causing trouble, they were just having fun). So the group of 20? 30? of us left and headed to another bar by the river where we continued the party.
  • Like 2

A pictures worth...

Once upon last Halloween at a street party in a land far, far away...

Johnny had some friends...

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c107/andrewq2112/Mobile%20Uploads/image_5.jpg

He met and drank with lovely locals that shared similar thoughts...

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c107/andrewq2112/Mobile%20Uploads/image_6.jpg

Sometimes different yet similar thoughts...

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c107/andrewq2112/Mobile%20Uploads/image_4.jpg

He drank more and met more lovely locals...

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c107/andrewq2112/Mobile%20Uploads/image_3.jpg

:blaze:

• Like 2

A pictures worth...

Looks like you had a bad day. :P

• Like 2

A pictures worth...

Looks like you had a bad day. :P

Yup, total shit evening! I despise beer and cute, friendly girls!

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c107/andrewq2112/Mobile%20Uploads/image_7.jpg

• Like 1