Frank Zappa Thread

Bigbobby10

Hopefully we all know of Frank Zappa, as much as a weird guy he was, and as vulgar as his lyrics were, I think he is a great musician.

I haven't gotten too much into him (well assuming he has over 70 albums).

So if you want to talk about him, here it is

• Like 1

I never got to see FZ live.

I've been to at least 25 Zappa related concerts, though. 17 of them are Zappa Plays Zappa shows. Dweezil Zappa is doing a great job keeping his dads music alive.

On the current tour they will play "One Size Fits All" in it's entirety.

Zappa rules!

• Like 3

Dweezil is a fine player...it has to be genetic...it's unbelievable how gifted he is.

It's all fine and food but Seahag is better. Check out ProjectObject or Banned From Utopia. They do Frank better than Dweezil does and Dweezil is a idiot for not realizing this and trying to suppress them.

Ive got nearly his entire recorded output and thousands of hours of live recordings on various media.

He is a f***ing legend.

Completely underated as a guitarist and band leader as well.

I wonder why they didn't play his music on the radio ;)

I respect Zappa as a musician and innovator. Never really got into him.

Can someone explain the appeal, or what would be his go to records for a beginner??

He's out there man, and normally I like dudes like that

• Like 1

Can someone explain the appeal, or what would be his go to records for a beginner??

My favorites by him are Joes Garage, Hot Rats and Sheik Yerbouti.

My first album i got into was Joes Garage

• Like 2

I dispute the fact that

a) he was weird

b) his lyrics were vulgar Neither of these are true In the slightest. He had a completely normal personality. In as far as he was an extreme workaholic and he took his music very serious no matter if he was doing satirical, classical, scatalogical or just plain musical. He took his bands to their highest levels musically and very few of his musicians did anything as complex as his music after they left him. He sought out the best and did not suffer fools. He kicked drug users and drunks out of his bands because he believed that if you were somehow affected by inoxicants then you would not be able to replace his music to the desired level he expected.

I don't know what's weird or vulgar about any of that.

• Like 2

What kind of music do you like? Rock? Jazz? Classical?

Some of his top drawer releases are. In no particular order

Freak Out

Absolutely Free

We're Only In If For the Money

Uncle Meat

Hot Rats

The Grand Wazoo

Just Another Band From LA

One Size Fits All

Roxy and Elsewhere

Sheik Yerbouti

Joes Garage

Tinseltown Rebellion

Make A Jazz Noise Here

Broadway the Hard Way

A little bit of something for everyone.

Edited by Digital Dad

My favorites by him are Joes Garage, Hot Rats and Sheik Yerbouti.

My first album i got into was Joes Garage

Those match my top 3 as well. Really great stuff

• Like 1

I have a holy trinity of artists. they are......Tom Waits, Frank Zappa and Captain Beefheart.

Love Zappa. He was so Out there and did what he wanted. I didn't like him at first but when he clicked. it was like seeing one of those magic Eye hidden image things. I couldn't imagine not liking him now. never will be another like him.

My uncle whose seen SOOOOO many concerts. Maintains to this day. Zappa was his fav. best night of music of his concert going career..

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

Absolutely Free

Apostrophe

Broadway The Hard Way

Freak Out!

Hot Rats

Joe's Garage

The Man From Utopia

Over-Nite Sensation

Roxy & Elsewhere

Sheik Yerbouti

Ship Arriving Too Late To Save A Drowning Witch

Them Or Us

You Are What You Is

Zoot Allures

Bongo Fury

One Size Fits All

• Like 1

It's all fine and food but Seahag is better. Check out ProjectObject or Banned From Utopia. They do Frank better than Dweezil does and Dweezil is a idiot for not realizing this and trying to suppress them.

It's Gail.

DZ has had FZ alumnus in his band before(Ray White & NMB). They would quit after a year or so because Dweezil will not let them improvise. That is what Zappa singers do! Also-Now there is no percussion or second guitarist. Mariba and other sounds are now triggered by the keyboard players. It's not the same as when he first started. I'll still go a see the band(ZPZ) this December, in LA.

Banned From Utopia and others don't play in the Los Angeles are anymore. They're big in Europe, though.

The FZ live experience was never the same from night to night.

Edited by Self-Indulgence

It's Gail.

DZ has had FZ alumnus in his band before(Ray White & NMB). They would quit after a year or so because Dweezil will not let them improvise. That is what Zappa singers do! Also-Now there is no percussion or second guitarist. Mariba and other sounds are now triggered by the keyboard players. It's not the same as when he first started. I'll still go a see the band(ZPZ) this December, in LA.

Banned From Utopia and others don't play in the Los Angeles are anymore. They're big in Europe, though.

The FZ live experience was never the same from night to night.

Yep even if the setlist stayed the same you would have secret words and hijinks(Stairway to Cornhole, and on guitar...) that varied from night to night. Even Billy the Mountain which deviated from night to night stayed exactly the same when ZPZ did it. Shame. FZ was ever evolving and experimenting.

• Like 1