Optimum CD length

I used to be of the opinion that, once I put out a CD, I wanted to cram as much stuff onto it as I could. The idea being that, assuming I'm convinced it is quality material, I'd want to give folks the biggest bang for their investment.

However, when we split the M.O.T.H. project into two CDs, we had a discussion about the advantages of shorter CDs, and I think these albums work well at their current lengths (maybe 45-50 minutes each)? I don't have the numbers in front of me.

Heck, look at Hemispheres or Permanent Waves. Not exactly long albums, and they might have suffered had much more been piled on.

I realize this subjective, but I'm curious about opinions on this. What is an ideal CD length to you, if such a thing exists?

Do you feel cheated if you only get 40 minutes?

Is 70 minutes just too frikkin' long?

???

• Like 4

45 mins is about right for me.

Part of that is because when I was a kid, I used to get those blank 90 minute cassette tapes, and you could fit an album on each side.

• Like 1

GHOST - Meliora is around 41 minutes. That's long enough. Had RUSH taken that approach they could have had a string of pretty strong late career albums.
  • Like 1

It really depends. I've heard albums that are an hour-plus long and they're great; I listen to them and want more. Conversely, I've heard 40 minute albums that are too long. In general, if the material is strong, I want my albums to be an hour or so long. (And yes, I still listen to full albums.)

I'm so used to CD-length albums now that when I go back and listen to older LP-length albums they feel way too short.

• Like 2

I would say 40 - 50 minutes of good material is ideal. I would rather be left wanting more than skipping through filler.

Also, I don't really like the current trend of re-releasing classic albums with loads of 'bonus material' tacked on the end.

• Like 1

I consider anything greater than 30 minutes to be an "album". Less than that an EP. That is just MY measure.

For ideal listening, as x1yyz says, it really depends on the band and material. MotH was a good fit at 50 minutes. I would struggle in my own project to fill 50 minutes with quality music for the duration (less noodly, concise compositions like Ghosts previously mentioned). I couldn't listen to 50 minutes of instrumental rock, but can listen to Dream Theater for 60-80 minutes since it's a mix.

Edited by stoopid

As a (very, very generalized) general rule, I think 45-50 minutes is a good target for having the highest quality, through and through. There are lots of exceptions (I was going to start listing some of them, but I won't)...but I think from 45 to 55 minutes, at the most, is really ideal.
  • Like 1

I used to be of the opinion that, once I put out a CD, I wanted to cram as much stuff onto it as I could. The idea being that, assuming I'm convinced it is quality material, I'd want to give folks the biggest bang for their investment.

However, when we split the M.O.T.H. project into two CDs, we had a discussion about the advantages of shorter CDs, and I think these albums work well at their current lengths (maybe 45-50 minutes each)? I don't have the numbers in front of me.

Heck, look at Hemispheres or Permanent Waves. Not exactly long albums, and they might have suffered had much more been piled on.

I realize this subjective, but I'm curious about opinions on this. What is an ideal CD length to you, if such a thing exists?

???

I own two MOTH CDs....Considering the price I paid for both albums, I certainly feel cheated that they are only 45-50 mins long :P

Edited by tx_rush
  • Like 3

GHOST - Meliora is around 41 minutes. That's long enough. Had RUSH taken that approach they could have had a string of pretty strong late career albums.

Amen. The "best of" what they have done would have been best. To many turds in the punch bowl... :)

Do folks even listen to CDs anymore? :P

I absolutely do. I download a few albums now and then, but I definitely prefer owning a physical CD. That said, sometimes less is more and 45-55 minutes is a nice range.

I think it depends completely on the album quality.

If it is an hour long or longer, and all killer (think: Springsteen's The Rising), I am happy!

But forty minutes is roughly enough to satisfy.

50 - 55 mins for CD's.

I remember being thrilled when CD's came along with the longer length, but at the same time saw that there were associated filler songs when bands tried to do more for a release.

There are some really good albums that can go to 65-70. But few and far between.

So yeah, 50-55. Longer than LP, but not too long. In my opinion.

Not that I listen to my CD's any more. It's all about rolling playlists these days..... since 02' actually.

Bigger question is how many people listen to ALBUMS anymore. I know most of my non-musician friends have their MP3s on shuffle. :-/

Very true. I'm quite stuck in the album paradigm, though.... it may just be that hard to teach an old dog new tricks!

The music we listen to almost demands being heard as a whole. Unfortunately the most popular music is more like doing drugs - take a hit, get the high, take another hit. The listener keeps coming back to that song to experience the same feeling but never quite gets there again, then at some point they're listening to it and don't even know why. Before you know it they're turning away other music just to listen to music they don't even like/get anything from anymore.

Edited by stoopid
  • Like 1

???

45 minutes is good enough.