New Song - I Don't Want to Me

Hey guys - new song. It's a bit darker than most of my songs, and a bit less definite in theme. Lyrically, it was a bit of a stream-of-consciousness approach.

The vocal melody in the verses is a tip of the hat to some Tool approaches to vocal rhythm. It hoping it will work better with a more talented vocalist.

The energy goes up and down a bit; I was going for a dynamic approach given that there are really only a couple of chords that dominate the whole song.

For those of you unfamiliar with my work, and working style.... I've been posting rough demos for years, gathering folks' feedback in the hopes of better polishing these songs when the time comes to record the real deal. I'll be playing bass and keys on most songs, that's probably it.

I will neither be singing nor playing guitar on the final product; what you hear here is merely an attempt at these trades in order to give someone who knows what they are doing an idea of what I'm thinking.

So, click below for "I Don't Want to Me", and let me know what you think of the composition.

Thanks! http://rushmessageboard.com/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.png

http://jaypsi.com/Featured_Song.html

Feel free to poke around the site & check out the other demos as well.

• Like 1

Really not my thing, but that's no surprise because Tool isn't either...

Since this is my first time listening to anything by you, I decided to switch over and pick another song at random, "Little Less, Little More" -- now this is good.

• Like 1

The build is solid until you pull the rug out from under me and the verse starts. It's a huge energy suck at the point where it feels like something else should happen there. The other real slow stuff doesn't work either, and the repeating "I don't want to" stuff doesn't have much life in this performance (perhaps it would be better executed by other musicians, hard to envision that with this version). The song acts like it wants to build to a climax, then goes limp.

Thanks guys - this is the mirror I can't give to myself... you know what I mean! :P

I usually need 2-200 days away from material to find things to improve/envision. Maybe set this one aside and come back to it later and see if it still works for you.

Think link now points to "The Scut Farkus Affair" (as it became known). That's a fun song, but it doesn't seem to go anywhere. It feels like an overlong intro.