We're Putting It To Bed

Geddy's Soul Patch

Which Decade?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Which decade is Permanent Waves from?

It's time to tuck it in.

Is Permanent Waves a 70s album or an 80s album?

I've made my position clear on this issue multiple times. I believe that it is an indisputable fact that Permanent Waves, because it was entirely written and recorded in the 70s, is a 70s album.

It's time for us to put this puppy to sleep, once and for all.

The results of this poll will be final.

Any member of The Rush Forum who refers to the album as being from the incorrect decade after the closing of the poll will be immediately and permanently expelled from The Rush Forum.

1-0-0-1-0-0-1 has agreed to these terms, and he will act swiftly to bring justice to any offending parties.

Edited by Geddy's Soul Patch
  • Like 2

I'm with you on this one. Rush is pretty amazing, but they were never amazing enough to make an entire album between January 1, 1980 and January 1, 1980.
  • Like 2

80s,

You have to start a decade off with The Spirit of Radio

No,

and yes.

(Although there are lots of other good contenders for songs to start a decade off with.)

Edited by toymaker

JohnRogers, the Permanent Waves Ambassador, in "A Great Truth Must Be Told," put it nicely when he said, " I DECLARE THE TRUTH...Permanent Waves is the last album of the 70's! As the official TRF ambassador of the album Permanent Waves I am the final word of authority on the subject. The debate is over." (21 June 2015 - 03:28 PM) Edited by toymaker
  • Like 1

Do you believe it was a coincidence that it was released Jan 1, 1980? I'm sure it was ready to go the previous week. Released in the 80s on purpose. 80s album.

70s album.

I wonder how many TRF members are going "OH MY GOD NO, NOT AGAIN!!!"

• Like 1

Created in the 70's.

It was recorded in the 70's so I consider it a 70's album.

70's... Nite nite... :zzz:

All very sensible arguments.

• Like 1

Music is officially dated by the day it is released. It matters not one bit what the fans or critics or anyone else thinks. If it was anything else, tell me what is the correct year for Chinese Democracy?

So the music didn't exist prior to 1980?

Do you believe it was a coincidence that it was released Jan 1, 1980? I'm sure it was ready to go the previous week. Released in the 80s on purpose. 80s album.

70s album.

I wonder how many TRF members are going "OH MY GOD NO, NOT AGAIN!!!"

That's the point, after this thread the topic is closed. ONCE AND FOR ALL

• Like 1

Music is officially dated by the day it is released. It matters not one bit what the fans or critics or anyone else thinks. If it was anything else, tell me what is the correct year for Chinese Democracy?

Of course it existed. Don't be a moron. If they recorded all but one song in 1979 but finally finished the last song in May 1980, would there still be people who thought it was a '70's album? Or what if they waited until March 1st of 1980 to release it, would it still be a '70's album? It's only 2 months, right?

Let me re-state it because you seemed to have missed it the first time. For official purposes, the release date is the date. In this case, it was January 1, 1980.

Of course it existed. Don't be a moron. If they recorded all but one song in 1979 but finally finished the last song in May 1980, would there still be people who thought it was a '70's album? Or what if they waited until March 1st of 1980 to release it, would it still be a '70's album? It's only 2 months, right?

Let me re-state it because you seemed to have missed it the first time. For official purposes, the release date is the date. In this case, it was January 1, 1980.

You make a great point about the release date, it's arbitrary, so no matter when it was released, it would still be a 70s album
  • Like 1

Mathematically a zero number is the end of a sequence because the first number counted is 1 so thechnically 1980 is not the beginning of the 80's but rather the end of the 70's. That said 9 is the highest single digit number. Generally speaking though zero years are not technically considered the first year of a decade. The decimals between zero and one are not whole numerals. Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2
  • Like 1

Umm...China hasn't become a democracy.

What does that have to do with anything?

:huh:

Permanent Waves was released in Japan on December 31, 1979. And as of that date, it was still December 30th, in the Western Hemisphere.

Case closed.

• Like 6