We're Putting It To Bed

Geddy's Soul Patch

Which Decade?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Which decade is Permanent Waves from?

Music is officially dated by the day it is released. It matters not one bit what the fans or critics or anyone else thinks. If it was anything else, tell me what is the correct year for Chinese Democracy?

Umm...China hasn't become a democracy.

What does that have to do with anything?

:huh:

GNRchinesedemocracy.jpg

• Like 1

Somehow I think it's more likely that Rush wanted to release a "first album of the 80's" rather than a "last album of the 70's."

Also PW was a new direction from their fantasy epics, so I think they were forging ahead into the future, not clinging to the past.

• Like 2

Somehow I think it's more likely that Rush wanted to release a "first album of the 80's" rather than a "last album of the 70's."

Also PW was a new direction from their fantasy epics, so I think they were forging ahead into the future, not clinging to the past.

I don't like clinging to the past either, but if I wrote a song on Saturday and played it for my wife on Sunday, I still wrote it on Saturday. But Saturday was my "songs about cake" period, and my new song wasn't about cake; it was all about fruit salad, which is a Sunday thing for us.

So she and I are still arguing about whether it's a Saturday cake song or a Sunday fruit salad song. She argues that since I played it for her for the first time on Sunday, and it's clearly pointing in a few, fresh direction, it must be a Sunday song. I argue that I wrote it on Saturday, and you can hear vestiges of the old frosting-heavy sonics.

• Like 1

I got a grant from the federal government to do an in-depth study of this all-important question ( ;)) , and I have concluded that Permanent Waves is a seventies album released on January 1, 1980 due to the connivance mercenary ways wisdom of their manager who did it for strategic reasons.
  • Like 4

I got a grant from the federal government to do an in-depth study of this all-important question ( ;)) , and I have concluded that Permanent Waves is a seventies album released on January 1, 1980 due to the connivance mercenary ways wisdom of their manager who did it for strategic reasons.

Well done you! I just beginning to think that we'd never get to the end of it! When can you release the data? (We'll need the data, because people are not being swayed by reason...)

• Like 2

Well done you! I just beginning to think that we'd never get to the end of it! When can you release the data? (We'll need the data, because people are not being swayed by reason...)

Thank you! :) These things take time you know. :yes: Rome wasn't built in a day! :no: Generations of Rush fans will look to this study to resolve many a future battle. :clap:

The study will be released on January 1, 2016. There will be a Cliff Notes version too for the lazy Rush fan who can't be bothered thumbing through my 2,112 page study complete with charts, graphs, pictures and grocery lists.

• Like 1

Thank you! :) These things take time you know. :yes: Rome wasn't built in a day! :no: Generations of Rush fans will look to this study to resolve many a future battle. :clap:

The study will be released on January 1, 2016. There will be a Cliff Notes version too for the lazy Rush fan who can't be bothered thumbing through my 2,112 page study complete with charts, graphs, pictures and grocery lists.

You're taking a chance releasing the study on January 1, you know. There will be those who will think of it as "last year's research" that you deliberately delayed releasing to make your research seem more current.

• Like 1

You're taking a chance releasing the study on January 1, you know. There will be those who will think of it as "last year's research" that you deliberately delayed releasing to make your research seem more current.

Yes, I know. That has all been taken into consideration. But any TrueRushFan will see that the evidence presented to support my final and irrevocable conclusion is incontrovertible.

• Like 2

Well, it will be "close enough, for government work", as we say here in the States.

• Like 1

So they gave you the grant instead of the folks watching a shrimp run on a treadmill all day or was there enough taxpayer funds lying around to get it all done?.... Edited by Narps
  • Like 1

So they gave you the grant instead of the folks watching a shrimp run on a treadmill all day or was there enough taxpayer funds lying around to get it all done?....

That's right. When I explained to them what I wanted to do a study on, they said the shrimp can wait. Or those who want to do that study could apply to the Clinton Foundation instead.

Narps, don't you think Rush is more important than shrimps on treadmills?

• Like 1

So they gave you the grant instead of the folks watching a shrimp run on a treadmill all day or was there enough taxpayer funds lying around to get it all done?....

That's right. When I explained to them what I wanted to do a study on, they said the shrimp can wait. Or those who want to do that study could apply to the Clinton Foundation instead.

Indeed I do. Figuring out if the common house fly is heterosexual or bisexual is gonna have to remain on our governments back burner as well for now... :)

Indeed I do. Figuring out if the common house fly is heterosexual or bisexual is gonna have to remain on our governments back burner as well for now... :)

:unsure:

...they only have [multifaceted] eyes for you... :musicnote:

Edited by toymaker

I don't trust the government to decide on this matter for a second. I'm sure they'd give the album to the 80s because it's "noble" since the 70s already has SO many great albums, the 80s deserve it or some shit...:smoke:

I don't trust the government to decide on this matter for a second. I'm sure they'd give the album to the 80s because it's "noble" since the 70s already has SO many great albums, the 80s deserve it or some shit... :smoke:

But the government didn't decide. They just funded me to decide. :)

I don't trust the government to decide on this matter for a second. I'm sure they'd give the album to the 80s because it's "noble" since the 70s already has SO many great albums, the 80s deserve it or some shit... :smoke:

But the government didn't decide. They just funded me to decide. :)

Oh, well I suppose I should read more carefully. I certainly trust your opinion on the matter, so I guess that's fine...:D
  • Like 1

I have an idea for a real study. How about each of us asks one other person not on TRF - a spouse, sibling, relative, pal, or complete stranger - whether an album that was written, recorded, mixed, mastered, and packaged in the 1970s, but released on the first day of the 80s, should be considered a 70s or 80s album - and report back. We'll need . . . oh, several hundred responses. And maybe a less leading question.

Who is our resident statistician? Who knows how to do "loglinear analysis"? Who knows how to find "mean, median, and mode"? Think of it: it will be a completely objective study, not based on any of our opinions, however right (mine) or wrong (yours) they might be, and it won't be tainted by any dirty government money (sorry Lorraine).

I'll ask my husband.

He's Norwegian and knows everything. :eh:

Don't forget to ask objectively! You can tell him that I for one will certainly abide by his judgment on the matter.

I'll ask my husband.

He's Norwegian and knows everything. :eh:

Don't forget to ask objectively! You can tell him that I for one will certainly abide by his judgment on the matter.

OK

I have my script all written out. I'll tell him I've been given a homework assignment by TRF and we, the members, need his objective opinion about a certain matter that has been causing many discussions on the forum.

And if he doesn't give the right answer-------------------------------> :smash: :smash: :smash:

• Like 1