Post Unpopular Rush Opinions

Eel Yddeg

No no no no, Neurotica is hands down the worst chorus. Even tossed in some weak "whoahooos..." to try and take up space

I will respectfully and wholeheartedly agree with you... And while Neurotica holds that dubious honor for choruses, the absolute worst line in any of their songs, (IMO), is "Dance around my totem pole.....Totem po~~ole" :blink:

Saviorrrs and Saaatans

T4E is loaded with cringe-worthy lyrics.

Half the World sucks

While Half the World swallows

And the tune is mediocre at best, too.

• Like 1

Signals is only as acclaimed as it is within the fanbase (in a lot of your top 5), because age-wise, many of you became fans after Moving Pictures came out.

Signals isn't that great. If all the same people became fans after Presto you would all be calling Roll The Bones a masterpiece. I'll never understand the Signals love and I enjoy every other 80s album

Signals is great. Imo the perfect balance of enough keys but not too much.

I do think that you are onto something though.

I have long thought that people tend to favor music that was released shortly after they became fans.

I guess in some way we like to think that they were peaking or at least still relevant when we got into them....

I think this is close. I think in some cases it's actually more likely linked to how old you were when the album came out. I love Tattoo You, but I'd bet someone who is 10 years older than me thinks it pales in comparison to Sticky Fingers and can't get over that.

In other cases, I think you actually can point to a time when an artist hit their stride. I'm a fan of Ozzy's, and I can enjoy every album he's ever released. But I don't think too many people trying to be objective would place Down to Earth and Black Rain alongside Blizzard and Diary.

• Like 1

Signals is only as acclaimed as it is within the fanbase (in a lot of your top 5), because age-wise, many of you became fans after Moving Pictures came out.

Signals isn't that great. If all the same people became fans after Presto you would all be calling Roll The Bones a masterpiece. I'll never understand the Signals love and I enjoy every other 80s album

I have long thought that people tend to favor music that was released shortly after they became fans.

I guess in some way we like to think that they were peaking or at least still relevant when we got into them....

I think this is close. I think in some cases it's actually more likely linked to how old you were when the album came out. I love Tattoo You, but I'd bet someone who is 10 years older than me thinks it pales in comparison to Sticky Fingers and can't get over that.

In other cases, I think you actually can point to a time when an artist hit their stride. I'm a fan of Ozzy's, and I can enjoy every album he's ever released. But I don't think too many people trying to be objective would place Down to Earth and Black Rain alongside Blizzard and Diary.

With respect to Ozzy "solo", though, there's something very obvious to point to as to why the first two albums are so much better than anything that followed.

• Like 1

With respect to Ozzy "solo", though, there's something very obvious to point to as to why the first two albums are so much better than anything that followed.

Sure, although my point remains that you CAN point to a peak of Ozzy's solo career, regardless of why that might be.

• Like 1

I remember my HS Spanish teacher was a big Who fan, "...until that Teenage Wasteland album." He thought Who's Next was the beginning of the end for the Who. :LOL:
  • Like 2

I remember my HS Spanish teacher was a big Who fan, "...until that Teenage Wasteland album." He thought Who's Next was the beginning of the end for the Who. :LOL:

I mean they did significantly change their sound with Who's Next.

(to something at least twice as awesome imo)

I mean they did significantly change their sound with Who's Next.

(to something at least twice as awesome imo)

Definitely an improvement, imo.

I like Test For Echo. Its not their highest achievement but it’s better than RtB any day. ;)

NOOOOOOOO

I like Test For Echo. Its not their highest achievement but it’s better than RtB any day. ;)

NOOOOOOOO

It's hard to get excited about which is the best of two mediocrities.

• Like 1

This

Meh you think Hot Space is good lmao

;)

This

Meh you think Hot Space is good lmao

;)

This is funny in that it seems to contain the opposite dynamic as regards what I was saying about Signals before. Whereas I have hardly if at all reassessed that album, back when Hot Space came out I hate-hated it, yet have at some point along the way learned I like it quite a lot. "Calling all girls" indeed.

The debut album is actually a minor classic and Before And After is one of the earliest Rush classics.

More fans should be aware of Before And After! Possibly the best song off the first three albums!

Thank you for writing this. I have always thought that was a great and very underrated song which in retrospect seems to be sort of a harbinger of the awesomeness to come.

The intro is so pretty and then it shifts gear into a great hard rocking tune.

I love it.

I've posted about my affection for the song here before.

Frankly I think the debut album in general is criminally understand.

Especially when you consider how young they were and with no Neil involved.

• Like 3

The debut album is actually a minor classic and Before And After is one of the earliest Rush classics.

More fans should be aware of Before And After! Possibly the best song off the first three albums!

Thank you for writing this. I have always thought that was a great and very underrated song which in retrospect seems to be sort of a harbinger of the awesomeness to come.

I love it.

Something I have learned relistening to Rush closely in chronological order is just how great they were for the first ten albums, with barely a dip. The debut is easy to overlook, but that doesn't mean you should. I now find it to be exceptional, especially the second half. It is hard to understand now why Alex took such a backseat the next decade. I used to really defend the synth era, but Power Windows really left a sour taste in my mouth. Next up is Hold Your Fire, a surprising top five entry for me as well as a former number one favourite.

I do wonder if it still holds up for me. I have been amazed by the recent love I developed for the debut, 2112's second half and Hemispheres. Even Signals seems to be growing on me further (it certainly sounds better to my ears after Power Windows, which I do still like).

• Like 3

I love it.

Something I have learned relistening to Rush closely in chronological order is just how great they were for the first ten albums, with barely a dip. The debut is easy to overlook, but that doesn't mean you should. I now find it to be exceptional, especially the second half. It is hard to understand now why Alex took such a backseat the next decade. I used to really defend the synth era, but Power Windows really left a sour taste in my mouth. Next up is Hold Your Fire, a surprising top five entry for me as well as a former number one favourite.

I do wonder if it still holds up for me. I have been amazed by the recent love I developed for the debut, 2112's second half and Hemispheres. Even Signals seems to be growing on me further (it certainly sounds better to my ears after Power Windows, which I do still like).

"Exceptional" is wholly appropriate when describing their debut. Pure, unadulterated, in-your-face hard rock. I love this album....
  • Like 2

John Rutsey's drumming on "Finding My Way" is both tasteful and powerful, and features a kind of restraint that renders it superior to anything Pratt did with it later.
  • Like 2

I can really appreciate the "first ten albums, with barely a dip" aspect of this comment, even if I haven't decided for sure that I would assess it similarly. It dovetails with an unpopular opinion I have been thinking about posting but keep getting sidetracked reacting to others' opinions.

Edited by Ged Lent's sis

I propose that Ged is why they left Terry Brown. Moreover, that he was the primary writer of "Chemistry" and, given the subject matter of the song, he manipulated the crediting process in the liner notes to include all three of the band as having written the lyrics. That is, he was beginning a process of compromising little things like that in advance as a way to put his vision for the band further to the fore. Think about it: "Sound on sound, Add without subtraction" is a sort of buddy-buddy, feel-good, passive-aggressive way to put his fingers more prominently upon the production of the next era of their output, which I say as one who quite dug every single thing they did in the 80s.

Everything that makes RUSH great has also contributed to some shortcomings. For example, these nice, non-confrontational Canadian boys would've sooner gone along with one member's idea than create the kind of tension that has broken up bands too often to be able to tabulate.

Ged did an interview during the promotion and tour of Power Windows' wherein he said Signals' synth work had buried the guitar, p/g featured it screaming back into the forefront, and Power Windows as being the best synth-guitar mix of the three. We could suppose from statements made so many years later by the band in the Beyond the Lighted Stage documentary that the others — certainly Lerxst, at any rate — did not necessarily think the same way and, as a matter of fact, felt it was going in the wrong direction. It would seem that this grievance had not been aired until at least the production of Hold Your Fire.

Terry Brown felt already during his final true studio production job with the band that Signals had already taken a step in the direction that had Alex feeling marginalised by his childhood buddy. Being British and slightly less prone to avoiding conflict, he made it clear enough that Ged believed he would be a hindrance to big ideas he had that included playing a lot more keys, so he proposed to the other two guys that, in order for the band to really continue to progress, they needed to try a new producer out. Perhaps as a way to make the idea more appealing to Alex —who was likely less amenable to letting go the guy who felt the way he did — Ged suggested to Alex that Brown was not capable of mixing the broadening sound palette in a way that would maintain the strength of the guitar.

Given that it is a trio, the third guy would consistently be able to view it less personally, and find the idea of experimenting with different producers to be a, um, logical one.

I love several post-Terry Brown albums. Still, there is an alternate universe in which something else even more extraordinary came to be, but which might have even shortened the life of the band.

• Like 3

I can really appreciate the "first ten albums, with barely a dip" aspect of this comment, even if I haven't decided for sure that I would assess it similarly. It dovetails with an unpopular opinion I have been thinking about posting but keep getting sidetracked reacting to others' opinions.

Please share!

• Like 1

I love it.

I think you have hit the nail on the proverbial head... The demarcation between p/g and PoW is far more distinct than it is between any of the first ten albums and each's successive release... The only other really dramatic change in sound, imo, was between RTB and CP... Edited by tks95747
  • Like 1

John Rutsey's drumming on "Finding My Way" is both tasteful and powerful, and features a kind of restraint that renders it superior to anything Pratt did with it later.

Totally agree... When you listen to the whole album you hear, at times, Rutsey tossing in some pretty cool fills... It is obvious he could have played much more flashy, but as you pointed out he purposely holds back and just lays down really solid rhythms.
  • Like 1