Post Unpopular Rush Opinions

Eel Yddeg

Neil was mostly a mediocre lyricist after HYF.

Neil's lyrics are usually either incredible or jaw-droppingly terrible. Not much in-between. More of the former than the latter, obviously, but there isn't much middle ground.

Neil's lyrics start being consistently awesome with Power Windows and generally get better throughout their career, culminating on Snakes & Arrows, which is the best collection of Neil Peart lyrics ever assembled. Neil's lyrics prior to Permanent Waves are largely uninspired, boring, and pedantic with few exceptions.

Should not agree, but kind of do.

To wit...

The hypocrites are slandering

The sacred halls of Truth

Ancient nobles showering

Their bitterness on youth

Can't we find

The minds that made us strong

Can't we learn

To feel what's right and wrong

:eyeroll:

What exactly is wrong with those lyrics?

sophomoric

Could you give us an example of lyrics you don't find sophomoric?

Dreams flow across the heartland...

Just one line?

AG hates that line. ;)

Too funny!

Rush lyric sword fight.

A running gag.
  • Like 1

Neil's lyrics are usually either incredible or jaw-droppingly terrible. Not much in-between. More of the former than the latter, obviously, but there isn't much middle ground.

Neil's lyrics start being consistently awesome with Power Windows and generally get better throughout their career, culminating on Snakes & Arrows, which is the best collection of Neil Peart lyrics ever assembled. Neil's lyrics prior to Permanent Waves are largely uninspired, boring, and pedantic with few exceptions.

To wit...

Ancient nobles showering

Can't we find

Can't we learn

sophomoric

*snort* Talk about sophomoric...

But somehow I knew that was coming. :facepalm:

• Like 1

To wit...

Ancient nobles showering

Can't we find

Can't we learn

sophomoric

Just one line?

AG hates that line. ;)

I do. I really do.

So, so much.

• Like 2

To wit...

Ancient nobles showering

Can't we find

Can't we learn

sophomoric

Fantastic line. The whole song is lyrically fantastic!

To wit...

Ancient nobles showering

Can't we find

Can't we learn

sophomoric

Yeah, yeah...

We are conditioned to our responses.

To wit...

Ancient nobles showering

Can't we find

Can't we learn

sophomoric

Yeah, yeah...

We are conditioned to our responses.

cYwtRCH.gif

• Like 1

High Water is one of my favorite songs

Tai Shan is fun to listen to and play

I don't like 2112 album I think the only two good songs are Lessons and Passage to bangkok

I also don't like power windows I think it only has one good song, Territories

Counterparts is okay...

Red Lenses and Time and Motion are both in my top ten Rush songs. Virtuality is awesome, and so is I Think I'm Going Bald. Limbo is their third best instrumental.

Red Lenses and Neil solo in the break were the most moving thing since we learned how to slice stuff.

Red Lenses and Time and Motion are both in my top ten Rush songs. Virtuality is awesome, and so is I Think I'm Going Bald. Limbo is their third best instrumental.

Virtuality rules. It gets a bad rap because the "net boy, net girl" stuff is kind of dated but that's one of Alex's best riffs.

• Like 2

I think "The Camera Eye" is better than nearly every single track on the masterpiece that is Moving Pictures.

"The Enemy Within" is probably my favorite track from GUP. I think it's them peaking as a band that wanted to fuse different styles in their music. I think this song shows that peak ability.

I like "Presto" as an album. Some real heavy hitters on the album.

• Like 5

:ebert:

Also, spot on with the other comments.

• Like 1

I think "The Camera Eye" is better than nearly every single track on the masterpiece that is Moving Pictures.

"The Enemy Within" is probably my favorite track from GUP. I think it's them peaking as a band that wanted to fuse different styles in their music. I think this song shows that peak ability.

Alongside Red Barchetta, Witch Hunt and Limelight, the only 10/10 songs on what many regard as a perfect album

The lyrics to Snakes and Arrows were written by an angry, bitter, self-important old man.

I couldn't agree more. Lerxt, Dirk and Pratt... "One of these is not like the others"...

• Like 1

I know music is subjective, but I find it hard to believe there can be any defense of Vapor Trails' loud mix. I mean, it's flat out damaged- full of clipping and lost sounds. If you like loud, that's fine: turn the volume up. The loudness war was just lazy production from an era that was mixing music for staticky FM radio and car CD players that had to compete with highway noise. Edited by KenJennings
  • Like 5

RTB would've been a much better album if Alex didn't use such a weak-ass guitar tone. YBYL is the worst offender. Just listen to it...thin, tinny, no grit or balls whatsoever and mixed way in the background. I swear parts of it sound like he didn't even turn his amp on before Rupert hit the 'Record' button