Marshall DSL40C

Finding IT

Just picked up a Marshall DSL40C with a Cream speaker. Anyone have any experience with the DSL40Cs? Looking for interesting settings. It has almost all of the same features as the DSL100H.

I see DSL and it makes me think internet connection. :)

I used to have a JCM800 2205 (50W 2-channel) head and its combo equivalent the 4212. I've sold both of these years ago, a move I sorely regretted ever since, especially when I see the prices these things go for today. I got a DSL50 head since and quite frankly, it made me feel better about getting rid of the old stuff. It is pretty much as good as you can get from Marshall these days. The settings I prefer are:

Presence 8

Bass 10

Mid 4

Treble 7

Reverb 1 (both 1 and 2)

Ultra Gain 10

Ultra Volume 3 (as much as my ears can stand)

Ultra Switch Lead 2

Classic Gain 1

Classic Volume 6 (or whatever needed to match volume of Ultra channel)

Classic Switch Clean

I used to have a JCM800 2205 (50W 2-channel) head and its combo equivalent the 4212. I've sold both of these years ago, a move I sorely regretted ever since, especially when I see the prices these things go for today. I got a DSL50 head since and quite frankly, it made me feel better about getting rid of the old stuff. It is pretty much as good as you can get from Marshall these days. The settings I prefer are:

Presence 8

Bass 10

Mid 4

Treble 7

Reverb 1 (both 1 and 2)

Ultra Gain 10

Ultra Switch Lead 2

Classic Gain 1

Classic Switch Clean

Bass at 10? You must not play with a band. :)

• Like 1

Smaller Marshalls don't have the same low end output as 4x4 cabs so boosting the bass level is a must. I have to push it hard on my Class 5. My settings are not that different. I use the mid for shaping the overall tone more so than bass or treble. Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2
  • Like 1

Presence 8

Bass 10

Mid 4

Treble 7

Reverb 1 (both 1 and 2)

Ultra Gain 10

Ultra Switch Lead 2

Classic Gain 1

Classic Switch Clean

Will check it out. Thanks.

Presence 8

Bass 10

Mid 4

Treble 7

Reverb 1 (both 1 and 2)

Ultra Gain 10

Ultra Switch Lead 2

Classic Gain 1

Classic Switch Clean

I still have a 4212. I don't use it much these days but it's a nice amp. It really nails that Angus Young "Back In Black" tone, if you like that sort of thing.

Presence 8

Bass 10

Mid 4

Treble 7

Reverb 1 (both 1 and 2)

Ultra Gain 10

Ultra Switch Lead 2

Classic Gain 1

Classic Switch Clean

I still have a 4212. I don't use it much these days but it's a nice amp. It really nails that Angus Young "Back In Black" tone, if you like that sort of thing.

Not a huge 80s Metal fan but both of my kids are. Go figure. Anyway, my daughter is taking drum lessons so I wanted to pick up a new amp. I mostly play through my an 11 Rack and headphones (or a small set of near field speakers). Be nice to push an amp again.

Smaller Marshalls don't have the same low end output as 4x4 cabs so boosting the bass level is a must. I have to push it hard on my Class 5. My settings are not that different. I use the mid for shaping the overall tone more so than bass or treble.

I am much the same way with my MG30FX. Tone just isn't quite right coming out of that without more bass. On my full stack version through the cabs it sounds much better. I also use a lot of mid for shaping my tone, but with lots of treble as well.

Presence 8

Bass 10

Mid 4

Treble 7

Reverb 1 (both 1 and 2)

Ultra Gain 10

Ultra Switch Lead 2

Classic Gain 1

Classic Switch Clean

Bass at 10? You must not play with a band. :)

Not with that amp I don`t (anymore), but I`m pretty sure I had the bass at 10 or close to it when I did, especially on the open-backed 4212. I played mostly Les Pauls with it and I like the kick of a V-shape EQ, and most of my drummers were heavy hitters :). Nowadays the DSL is connected to a full Marshall stack, so I don`t even use it when there is someone else in the house. Heck, sometimes I need to get out of the house myself when it`s cranked up :). It also sounds very different as you move around. 1001001 is right - if I get the house to myself for a few hours, I just put on "Back In Black" and play rhythm all the way through. :)