Neil Peart - Most Overrated Drummer Ever

LedRush

LMAO! Yet he remains probably the most influential rock drummer of all time. This is a troll post if I ever saw one...

I also find it funny that threads like these are almost always started by non-drummers.

They're just bored in SOCN.

http://i.imgur.com/lhpYvp1.gif

:LOL:

This is what the board has evolved into

In all seriousness, among jazz drummers, Neil isn't looked very highly upon.

And you would know this how? It's sad what the board has evolved into. Give me one quote where a jazz drummer is putting Neil down.....and even if there is one last time I checked Neil is not first and foremost a jazz drummer... Neil would kill them in the prog rock venue.

Edited by presto123

And you would know this how? It's sad what the board has evolved into. Give me one quote where a jazz drummer is putting Neil down.....and even if there is one last time I checked Neil is not first and foremost a jazz drummer... Neil would kill them in the prog rock venue.

:confused:

Interestingly Neil Peart has received the following awards in the Modern Drummer magazine reader's poll:

Hall of Fame: 1983.

Best Rock Drummer: 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 2006, 2008.

Best Multi-Percussionist: 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986.

Best Percussion Instrumentalist: 1982.

Most Promising New Drummer: 1980.

Best All Around: 1986.

Was also interesting to see so many top drummers (Jethro Tull's Doane Perry, Red Hot Chili Peppers' Chad Smith, Foo Fighters' Taylor Hawkins, The Police's Stewart Copeland, and Tool's Danny Carey) at Rush's final show of their R40 tour back at the beginning of August.

Edited by Duke1
  • Like 1

From the site Drummerworld.. Neil is respected as a rock drummer, but a LOT of drummers don't like his stiff style of playing.. And I'm sorry, but guys like Vinnie Couilata and Steve smith , both well versed, accomplished jazz drummers, could easily handle any Prog rock type stuff.. Playing and writing the parts. Neil is one of the great rock drummers, and I love his playing with Rush.

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90649

When I saw the thread title I knew it was about lack of groove.. maybe true in the past but last 15 years or so he's addressed this issue.

This lack-of-groove "problem" he's had is related to his personality I think.. and I mean that in the nicest possible way! Lol

From the site Drummerworld.. Neil is respected as a rock drummer, but a LOT of drummers don't like his stiff style of playing.. And I'm sorry, but guys like Vinnie Couilata and Steve smith , both well versed, accomplished jazz drummers, could easily handle any Prog rock type stuff.. Playing and writing the parts. Neil is one of the great rock drummers, and I love his playing with Rush.

In all seriousness, why is being able to play a certain style or not so important? Why is the division of musical genres so important?

Neil Peart must be the most overrated drummer ever. He doesn't have any groove, he can't hit all the little fills he pretends are so important, and his overly busy style detracts from the great songs that Rush writes. I love his writings, recommendations, and nuanced political views, but his drumming is just atrocious.

Wait so you love his writing but hate his drumming?? Unprecedented, that is!

Edited by MMCXII

LMAO! Yet he remains probably the most influential rock drummer of all time. This is a troll post if I ever saw one...

I also find it funny that threads like these are almost always started by non-drummers.

They're just bored in SOCN.

Which is strange considering Trump is running for POTUS and the Russians are killing poor brown people in Syria.

Let's get back to the topic at hand, JR, and not get distracted with any of that fluff.

Leave John alone. He's going through a difficult time at the moment. :dweez:

• Like 1

In all seriousness, why is being able to play a certain style or not so important? Why is the division of musical genres so important?

Personally, I don't think it is. But in any craft, there are elitists . And jazz guys do tend to be that way, not all obviously, but yeah, they do consider themselves above Rock drummers in every way. It's just the culture.

• Like 1

I know this thread was made as a joke, but I do want to add... From my experience, talking to drummers , and on drumming forums, Neil was a huge influence to a whole generation of guys. Those guys , a lot of the time, ended up moving on to other styles, mostly jazz, and then were influenced by guys like Couilata, Gadd, Weckl, etc.. So they then look at Neil as more of a " beginner" type influence. They still respect and enjoy parts of his style, but also are quite critical because they moved on to more accomplished type players. That's my take on it.

a one, two, three, FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLyY_n3ezDI

Awesome. I have never heard this before. The one,two,three,fooooooooooooooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrr is incredible. Gave me chills to be honest... :codger:
  • Like 2

a one, two, three, FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Awesome. I have never heard this before. The one,two,three,fooooooooooooooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrr is incredible. Gave me chills to be honest... :codger:

If I remember correctly :unsure: , I think EagleMoon mentioned this one once.

• Like 2

She probably did. She is pretty well on top of things I just know I have never heard it. I will never be able to shake the ATWAS version enough from my head to really appreciate any other one but I still like to hear them. Actually this one,two,three and four even beats out one,two buckle my shoe. It would be cool if it could be mixed in the ATWAS version somehow. I would love to hear it anyway... :madra:
  • Like 2

She probably did. She is pretty well on top of things I just know I have never heard it. I will never be able to shake the ATWAS version enough from my head to really appreciate any other one but I still like to hear them. Actually this one,two,three and four even beats out one,two buckle my shoe. It would be cool if it could be mixed in the ATWAS version somehow. I would love to hear it anyway... :madra:

i don't think I have this bootleg but I'm going to check. Edit: I checked and I don't have this bootleg but found another one that has In The End on it that I am going to go listen to right now. :)

By the way, I see you have a new avatar too. I like it!

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

i don't think I have this bootleg but I'm going to check.

By the way, I see you have a new avatar too. I like it!

Twas Goose's idea. I guess I use the phrase or at least something close way to much apparently. I like it too to be honest. My handsome mug and bulging biceps have be on display for way to long... :LOL:
  • Like 3