Building a better baked potato

Tom Sawyer

poke it, oil rubbed, wrapped in foil,

350 for 74-84 minutes. ...

Split open, add fresh ground pepper, butter,sour cream, chives, little shredded cheddar maybe... what else?

What's better, different?

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4129/5079155730_5bb83bd506_z.jpg

Rub in olive oil, roll in rock salt and garlic, and slice it like this before grilling on the bbq. Cooks faster and more evenly.

Edited by goose
  • Like 6

I scrub wash thoroughly stab all round with a knife and cook whole in the Microwave. Once done I let cool down and coat evenly with light olive oil. Season with Adobo ( a spanish salt & Pepper mixed seasoning) but plain salt (or sea salt) and pepper will do just fine. Place on hot grill (steak cooking temp) turning frequently as to not burn. when nice and crispy looking remove from grill split and top with your favorite topping. If not grilling you can finish in the oven as well. I like this method because it requires no foil & the skin adds a nice flavor and texture to the potato. The skin and the millimeter just under the skin is where 90% of the nutrients of the potato are and this way makes it delicious. Any potato variety will work also. Edited by Crimsonmistymemory
  • Like 1

I scrub wash thoroughly stab all round with a knife and cook whole in the Microwave. Once done I let cool down and coat evenly with light olive oil. Season with Adobo ( a spanish salt & Pepper mixed seasoning) but plain salt (or sea salt) and pepper will do just fine. Place on hot grill (steak cooking temp) turning frequently as to not burn. when nice and crispy looking remove from grill split and top with your favorite topping. If not grilling you can finish in the oven as well. I like this method because it requires no foil & the skin adds a nice flavor and texture to the potato. The skin and the millimeter just under the skin is where 90% of the nutrients of the potato are and this way makes it delicious. Any potato variety will work also.

I love the skin nice and crispy!

• Like 2

Rub in olive oil, roll in rock salt and garlic, and slice it like this before grilling on the bbq. Cooks faster and more evenly.

This style of potato has a name and it escapes me at the moment.

We don't grill ours. We bake it so its crispy.

Then we pull off sections and dip in cucumber sauce.

1/2 cup Greek yogurt.

1 big garlic clove minced.

1 Tsp dill.

1/2 cucumber shredded fine and drained and squeezed of all moisture.

Mix well and add salt and pepper to taste.

This is also a dressing for falafel and other dishes. Tzatziki sauce if you will.

Use in place of sour cream and add anything else you like on your baked potato

• Like 2

1/2 cup Greek yogurt.

1 Tsp dill.

This is also a dressing for falafel and other dishes. Tzatziki sauce if you will.

Sounds good. Not a big fan of sour cream.

1/2 cup Greek yogurt.

1 Tsp dill.

I love that Canada features a lot of Greek food. I'll give this a try when days are cooler!
  • Like 1

These look great. I dislike a baked potato smothered with gobs of sour cream.

Same here,

Put it on the side for an option. Some real butter and salt/pepper. I am happy. :D

Throw the sour cream out the window as my option. But yeah, real butter and salt/pepper is all I truly need. No way in hell I'd refuse the potatoes in these pics though.

• Like 1

Wendy's - I would chop up my baked potato in with my salad and chicken, etc and add italian dressing on top.

and a few people asked me if I was expecting.

How rude!!! :o :LOL:

• Like 1

1/2 cup Greek yogurt.

1 Tsp dill.

Yogurt and sour cream are basically the same thing. At least they taste the same to me. Same texture and same taste.

Now, yogurt lasts longer in the fridge and thats one reason we substitute yogurt for sour cream. Its always available.

I love either on my bake potato and would send it back if it came to the table without it on the top.

So many dishes would be Blah Blah Blah without the addition of sour cream.

Same here,

Put it on the side for an option. Some real butter and salt/pepper. I am happy. :D

I like bacon and some shredded sharp cheddar cheese too, But then again I would add bacon to just about anything :LOL:

• Like 1

Same here,

I like bacon and some shredded sharp cheddar cheese too, But then again I would add bacon to just about anything :LOL:

I love your version as an appetizer,

But when I have a nice steak and salad. I love the basic butter salt/pepper. :D

Split open, add fresh ground pepper, butter,sour cream, chives, little shredded cheddar maybe... what else?

Poke it..? ( :P )

http://www.rachaelrayshow.com/recipe/19558_potato_to_poke_or_not_to_poke_the_dilemma_continues/

Potato: To Poke or Not to Poke? The Dilemma Continues

10906194_10152947447862324_1426276869746214625_n.jpg?oh=ac3162372316fa9b6ffbe733ef3fd3e1&oe=56C23287

http://www.rachaelrayshow.com/recipe/19558_potato_to_poke_or_not_to_poke_the_dilemma_continues/

Potato: To Poke or Not to Poke? The Dilemma Continues

10906194_10152947447862324_1426276869746214625_n.jpg?oh=ac3162372316fa9b6ffbe733ef3fd3e1&oe=56C23287

Judging by that, it looks like there's no difference whether you :poke: them or not.

:D

Just baked two sweet potatoes. Once baked, I sliced open, spread butter, grilled it. Added grated cheddar and two rashes of crispy bacon.

Amazing!

• Like 1

I eat a baked potato quite often. It's very simple to make obviously and it fills me up completely and I don't need anything else. Very common man as always here. A little butter and black pepper only and I always eat ALL of it... :codger:
  • Like 2

What's better, different, missing?

SALT!

What's better, different, missing?

SALT!

Grated cheese!