Haruki Murakami Appreciation Thread

Blue J

I wanted to start a thread for this man, as I've never seen anybody here talk about him.

I've only read a handful of his novels, but every one of them that I have is fantastic. I've read Dance Dance Dance, The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, Hard-Boiled Wonderland at the End of the World, and 1Q84. 1Q84 is actually the most recent thing of his that I've read, and it was so much to get through, but it was worth it. I have a couple more on my shelf that I've never read, so I'm about to get started on one of them- either Sputnik Sweetheart or South of the Border, West of the Sun.

He is one of only two Japanese writers of whom I've read a significant amount. The other is Yukio Mishima, who is also fantastic. But they're very different from one another. Murakami reminds me a lot of Saul Bellow (if he were Japanese, rather than Jewish), and Martin Amis as well.

Accolades, anyone else?

^ Norwegian Wood is one of his best-known novels, I think (wasn't there a film made from it a couple of years ago?)...it's another one that I haven't read yet.

I'd say definitely work your way up to 1Q84...I loved The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, so I'd recommend that one next, between the two of them- it's less than a thousand pages, for one thing ( :LOL: ), and the prose isn't as dense.

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 1

I started on Sputnik Sweetheart this morning- in about 35 minutes, the first 55 pages just blew by. I love that about his books- the prose just carries me and carries me.

Just because it goes by quickly, I don't mean that it's just fluff. I think he's a great writer. But everything just seems to move along very quickly.

• Like 1

Sputnik Sweetheart was very good, I enjoyed it- though the very end was a bit ambiguous (but that was, I'm sure, intentional).

Since I'm on this kick and don't really feel like reading anybody else right now, I figure with the number of things I haven't read of his, and with the available free time I have (or don't have, really), I could be set on reading material for months.

That being said, though, I picked up Dance Dance Dance off of my shelf yesterday and started it, instead of anything else new to me. Just felt like reading something more familiar instead of anything new. And it's a great story, I love it.

I'm just getting started with him! 40 pages into Norwegian Wood and I'm enjoying it so far.

Have you finished this yet?

Nope, not yet. I've been so caught up with school lately that I haven't had time to read :(

I'm just getting started with him! 40 pages into Norwegian Wood and I'm enjoying it so far.

Have you finished this yet?

Nope, not yet. I've been so caught up with school lately that I haven't had time to read :(

Your studies are more important right now anyway. The books will always be there.

If not for you, I'm just kind of talking to myself in this thread so far :P, so I thought I'd ask.

I wanted to start a thread for this man, as I've never seen anybody here talk about him.

I've only read a handful of his novels, but every one of them that I have is fantastic. I've read Dance Dance Dance, The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, Hard-Boiled Wonderland at the End of the World, and 1Q84. 1Q84 is actually the most recent thing of his that I've read, and it was so much to get through, but it was worth it. I have a couple more on my shelf that I've never read, so I'm about to get started on one of them- either Sputnik Sweetheart or South of the Border, West of the Sun.

He is one of only two Japanese writers of whom I've read a significant amount. The other is Yukio Mishima, who is also fantastic. But they're very different from one another. Murakami reminds me a lot of Saul Bellow (if he were Japanese, rather than Jewish), and Martin Amis as well.

Accolades, anyone else?

You're read plenty of Murakami's good books and yet there remains no mention of Kafka on the Shore! I realize I'm bumping an old thread, but if you haven't read it by the time you read this, you need to.

• Like 1

You're read plenty of Murakami's good books and yet there remains no mention of Kafka on the Shore! I realize I'm bumping an old thread, but if you haven't read it by the time you read this, you need to.

Thank you! :) I will do that.

Yeah, I can't really explain how it is that I've let a couple of them slip by me.

I'll post back when I've started it, at least, but it may be a week or two. (I just started a different book this morning).

Brilliant writer. Old thread, but I was delighted to see this. Easily one of my all time favorites.

(And I guess I'm in this section of the forum seldom enough that I just now saw your post). :blush:

:cheers:

Accolades, anyone else?

I still haven't gotten to this yet!

Mea culpa. :|

I read his autobiography, "What I Talk About When I Talk About Running", and thought it was amazing. Aside from an accomplished writer, he´s a marathon runner as well. Or at least he used to be,m since he´s almost 70 years old now.
  • Like 1

Accolades, anyone else?

Okay, and now I finally have...I just started on it yesterday.

Accolades, anyone else?

Okay, and now I finally have...I just started on it yesterday.

Very nice. :)

I have TOG midway through Norwegian Wood. He says it's hard to put down. If he likes it, Kafka is next!

• Like 1