Natural Science vs Xanadu

AnEggplant

Natural Science vs Xanadu  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• Natural Science
    • Xanadu

Natural Science is my 2nd favorite song. Xanadu would be in my top 20-25...so NS for the win.

And yes, I love Earthshine more than Xanadu. Life would be quite boring with all in lockstep... :moon:

• Like 2

By the way, no song edges out Xanadu. Ever.

May I suggest listening to the final song on that same album

May I suggest we all have different music taste?

Also, I don't care what you or anyone else here might think about Xanadu or what might be better than Xanadu. In my opinion, it's the best song Rush ever did, and I would go so far as to include it in the ten best list of songs that came out in the seventies, up there with Close To The Edge.

• Like 2

Natural Science is my 2nd favorite song. Xanadu would be in my top 20-25...so NS for the win.

And yes, I love Earthshine more than Xanadu. Life would be quite boring with all in lockstep... :moon:

But you like a song that can't came out after '84 more than one that came out before '84. That's not possible according to some on this board :cool:

Xanadu is my pick as usual here. Natural Science is a great tune too. It's one of handful of Rush tunes that I wouldn't have an issue with beating Xanadu in a poll.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

Also, I don't care what you or anyone else here might think about Xanadu or what might be better than Xanadu. In my opinion, it's the best song Rush ever did, and I would go so far as to include it in the ten best list of songs that came out in the seventies, up there with Close To The Edge.

You're allowed to like Xanadu as much as you do. Nobody here is attacking you for that. No need to get upset.

Edited by AnEggplant
  • Like 1

You're allowed to like Xanadu as much as you do. Nobody here is attacking you for that. No need to get upset.

What makes you think I'm upset? Because I didn't use twenty-five emoticons?

• Like 2

24 emoticons would do the trick!

• Like 2

I gotta go with Xanadu! It was the main highlight of the R40 Periscope concerts this summer for me and has been a favorite for ever. (unfortunately it's placement in the concert was also the time that some Periscopers' batteries ran out- was always dicey every show whether we would get to see it! :D)
  • Like 2

IMO, which is all we can ever really express... :LOL: Xanadu is the best Rush song ever. Followed closely by Cygnus X-1, Hemispheres, Natural Science and La Villa.
  • Like 2

"May I suggest that we have different music taste?"

That just sounded kind of hostile to me. I'm sorry for misjudging though.

• Like 1

I did a similar post a while back about Natural Science vs The Camera Eye, and Natural Science pretty much obliterated The Camera Eye. Librarian suggested Natural Science vs Xanadu, which I feel is definitely much closer of a match. So, which is your favorite out of these two mini-epic titans? For me, it's extremely close, but I feel like Natural Science just edges out Xanadu.

I don't and if history is any indication the majority here won't either... :)

What this guy said

"May I suggest that we have different music taste?"

That just sounded kind of hostile to me. I'm sorry for misjudging though.

Is there a reason why you might be trying to instigate?

I understand what you meant and I can see either one being one's favorite to be honest. They are both tremendous obviously. It just drives me nuts when I see polls like Xanadu vs Earthshine and folks actually think the latter is better... :smash:

I've stayed out of the poll threads lately because many of them seem to be dominated by one particular attitude or point of view, and then it gets down to bickering when someone or something stands in contrast to "conventional wisdom".

Now, to use the hypothetical example given, I think Earthshine is a pretty great song. Do I think it's better than Xanadu? No...but I have to allow for another person's tastes. There isn't anything about this stuff that drives me nuts. But it does boggle my mind how little acceptance there is of an opposing point of view, no matter what form it may take.

The only person who needs to approve of what I like is...me.

Now pardon me, while I go listen to Presto.

• Like 2

Is there a reason why you might be trying to instigate?

I'm not investigating, you just seemed upset. It was dumb of me to say what I did, and I'm sorry.

It wasn't dumb Eggy, no worries

I think we're good here

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Edited by Lucas

I understand what you meant and I can see either one being one's favorite to be honest. They are both tremendous obviously. It just drives me nuts when I see polls like Xanadu vs Earthshine and folks actually think the latter is better... :smash:

I've stayed out of the poll threads lately because many of them seem to be dominated by one particular attitude or point of view, and then it gets down to bickering when someone or something stands in contrast to "conventional wisdom".

Now, to use the hypothetical example given, I think Earthshine is a pretty great song. Do I think it's better than Xanadu? No...but I have to allow for another person's tastes. There isn't anything about this stuff that drives me nuts. But it does boggle my mind how little acceptance there is of an opposing point of view, no matter what form it may take.

Well said. Sometimes it feels like being a so called "RINO" (Republican in name only) because you aren't conservative enough and can't have some against the grain views.

Only in this case you'd be a "Rush (fan) in Name Only" because you happen to not favor the gospel that older always = better without any ifs, ands, or buts.

I think I'll listen to Presto now also... :cheers:

• Like 3

Well said. Sometimes it feels like being a so called "RINO" (Republican in name only) because you aren't conservative enough and can't have some against the grain views.

Only in this case you'd be a "Rush (fan) in Name Only" because you happen to not favor the gospel that older always = better without any ifs, ands, or buts.

I think I'll listen to Presto now also... :cheers:

I think I get it now guys. Geez...

There are things about Earthshine that I like better than those same aspects of Xanadu (theme and lyrics, for example...and probably vocal phrasing). Xanadu's incredible musically, though.
  • Like 1

There are things about Earthshine that I like better than those same aspects of Xanadu (theme and lyrics, for example...and probably vocal phrasing). Xanadu's incredible musically, though.

That's an interesting take on it, I think- because I've never thought about the phrasing as much as just the overall sound.

Interesting.

• Like 2

That's an interesting take on it, I think- because I've never thought about the phrasing as much as just the overall sound.

Interesting.

I agree, that is a thought provoking take goose has there. I'm right there feeling the same about those aspects of both songs.

• Like 1