What's Next Bean Thieving Aliens?

Crimsonmistymemory

So,

I was in the grocery store today shopping for an affordable weeks menu, and for some reason beans still the have not really gone through the roof price wise, well at least not pinto beans. Anyhoo I was thinking of all the recent (within the past few years) reasons for major jumps in pricing of food stuffs. The latest item eggs almost $4 bucks a dozen (for decent ones) due to the recent bird flu. before that it was peanut butter due to the worst peanut harvest ever peanut butter now $5-6 bucks a jar. Also everything attached to peanuts went up. Before that it was corn that used the doube whammy approach. Severe drought and the renewed american flirtation with adding ethonol to gasoline. Corn is used in so many food products it basically drove the price of everything food wise up. Corn's inspiraion came from beef producers with the drought angle 1st to start lowering numbers of cattle then turned around and blamed corn shortages for eliminating more head of cattle. The end result is that one is hard pressed to find even the cheapest cuts of beef for less than $6 bucks a pound today. Turkey producers tried their own myserious shortage angle last Thanksgiving to drive the price of the star/centerpiece of the american Thanksgiving meal up and anything else turkey related went up as well. Before the Turkey crisis there was one for Chicken which will be rvisited with the latest bird flu thing. Pumpkin producers used the shortage angle to drive th price of Halloween pumpkins up and everthing attaced to pumpkins went up as well. Fuel prices drove everything up before that. Madcow did Milk in, Citrus canker did Florida citrus in, Coffee had it's reason too. Oh now lets not forget the California situation with the drought and fires, California Produce, Citrus and Almonds prices will be going through the roof along with everything related. None of the prices seem to ever go down after the reason for the shortage, except for gasoline but who knows how long that will last. So my question is, while beans may still be affordable today when will something disasterous hit the bean industry? Every excuse has been used up by the other industries, except Aliens. Will aliens be coming to abduct our beans? :AlienSmiley:

And have you noticed that once the "crisis" that caused the price to skyrocket is resolved, the price never comes back down?

You forgot to mention the coffee bean drama years ago that caused the price of coffee to quadruple in price.

Yes I briefly mentioned the coffee thing and the prices never readjust except gasoline for now anyway. The one thing I have noticed if prices do adjust down it is only temporary and when it goes back up it will be more than before.

Edited by Crimsonmistymemory
  • Like 1

Less beans could help with climate change I suppose. On a serious note, they should be careful which games they choose to play. Since the meat and eggs issues began I have eaten maybe half a dozen eggs and a burger. I've been eating fish and chicken and I feel better thN ever. I'm basically done with red meat at this point with the occasional rare exception. So they lost a customer for the most part.
  • Like 1