Unpopular opinion - The original VT is better than the remix

DadRockGirl

Just for the record (no pun intended) the vinyl is only thing I have heard that I can actually make it through the whole thing. I still would never go out of my way to listen to this record anyway. I have to much Rush music and other bands music that is miles better...

So you have the original or remix LP? I have the remix and it sounds pretty good. To me, it sounds better than the CA LP.

I have the remix LP and as I said it can be listened too if one chose to do so... :)
  • Like 1

From a Popdose interview with Botrill in 2013:

There has been talk among fans that the original recordings were distorted and new material was recorded for the remix, but nothing like that was done, he says. “The source recordings are top quality and we didn’t add anything new from those early recordings.”

As for the distortion, “at the time this project was done, there were well known ‘volume wars’ going on and this project suffered from that recording and mixing philosophy,” he says. “Mercifully, I think we are beyond that now.”

The Remix version is at least listenable.

Exactly. I'm just glad there are two versions to compare now.

I will always be glad there are two versions. More people came to appreciate VT because of it. And based on its reputation, I did not feel inclined to listen to VT until the remix (which I bought as part of the Atlantic album box set). But I really, really didn't like the remix. I thought it was an emotionless, noisy borefest.

Then I tried the original. Noisy? Yes but it made sense, the noise I enjoyed was the music itself (the remix has it too, obviously), but it had the emotion, the flame, the passion that didn't just feel exciting, it felt like my soul- burned away of all the hurt- and refreshed, somehow, by one bands seeking to make sense of everything. I didn't, and still don't, understand the albums lyrics on a high level. I knew a splodge of Pearts history and I felt I was shown, rather than told, his pain and recovery process just through one sit through. The music doesn't need explanation, it explains itself as it goes along.

I find Vapor Trails devastating, and cathartic, and emotionally replenishing. It lacks a lot of the artistry of the bands most famous works, and replaces it instead with the straightforward, venomous rock n roll passion that often erupts and consumes listeners with an exciting debut. That is how Vapor Trails feels, like a debut by a band thirty years into the game, with nothing to prove but plenty to show.

Vapor Trails is an easy record to hate, and unlike the ridiculous CA crowd, I appreciate and understand why it is so hated by many. But the reasons so many hate the album, especially in its original form, are exactly why I love it so very much.

There are album I enjoy artistically more than VT: A Farewell To Kings and Moving Pictures. Otherwise, as a purely emotional experience, it's only rivals are Hold Your Fire and Grace Under Pressure. These two albums are also unfairly maligned.

Or are they simply misunderstood?

This is why no one should ever seek to delete any music from a bands catalogue, or dismiss others admiration for an album or band.

I bet you anything that my deep rooted love for Vapor Trails is stronger than most of this forums members love for Hemispheres. It means that much to me, it drives me insane trying to put my thoughts and feelings into words.

• Like 8

I bet you anything that my deep rooted love for Vapor Trails is stronger than most of this forums members love for Hemispheres. ..

Segue, you're too smart to have written something so stupid. :(

You don't know how much I love VT.

• Like 1

I bet you anything that my deep rooted love for Vapor Trails is stronger than most of this forums members love for Hemispheres. ..

And you have no way of ever knowing how much anyone else here loves another album.

My problem with what you wrote isn't that you love VT so much, but that you wrote "I bet you anything that" your love for VT is stronger than what another person might feel for another Rush album.

Vapor Trails/Vapor Trails Remixed is my favorite Rush album.

I like the arrangements better on the Remixed version. And the parts are much clearer to hear. I can hear nuance. If you want the "soul" back, just listen to it on some crappy speakers or something.

Edited by New World Kid
  • Like 1

I agree. I'm so used to listening to the original that the remixed one sounds weird.

That's how I feel about it as well. Someone posted here awhile a back a "fixed" version of the original that they had personally done. As I recall, it sounded the best of the three.

And you have no way of ever knowing how much anyone else here loves another album.

My problem with what you wrote isn't that you love VT so much, but that you wrote "I bet you anything that" your love for VT is stronger than what another person might feel for another Rush album.

I said I'd bet, I didn't say I'd win! Lol

Segue, I liked your post, even though I am a proud part of that 'ridiculous' Clockwork Angels crowd you mentioned. (Pish posh, I say to you- pish posh!).

I am one of those who appreciates Vapor Trails more now, because of the remix. What I remember of the original was that it just sounded kind of muddy, to me. The remix is good, to my ears. I should maybe give the album another listen or two, to be fair to it.

At any rate- your impassioned support of VT is totally respected, on my end. (Most people can't hear what it is that I love so much about Hold Your Fire, either!). There are still so many other Rush albums I'd reach for before it...but even so, it has improved substantially from what I thought of it six months ago.

• Like 2

Segue, I liked your post, even though I am a proud part of that 'ridiculous' Clockwork Angels crowd you mentioned. (Pish posh, I say to you- pish posh!).

I am one of those who appreciates Vapor Trails more now, because of the remix. What I remember of the original was that it just sounded kind of muddy, to me. The remix is good, to my ears. I should maybe give the album another listen or two, to be fair to it.

At any rate- your impassioned support of VT is totally respected, on my end. (Most people can't hear what it is that I love so much about Hold Your Fire, either!). There are still so many other Rush albums I'd reach for before it...but even so, it has improved substantially from what I thought of it six months ago.

HYF is still a notch above VT. I won't get started on that one haha!

For me the original VT sounds like Rush at 2002 - just recovered from the tragedy, still chaotic, full of emotions. The remix version is Rush at the eleven years after- having gotten over it, just a reflection. When I first heard the remix version, I thought I liked it. But after several listens, I can say I prefer the original with its raw, emotional chaotic which the remix version is missing.

And I love VT. It's a great and powerful return from the desparaion

• Like 3

From a Popdose interview with Botrill in 2013:

There has been talk among fans that the original recordings were distorted and new material was recorded for the remix, but nothing like that was done, he says. “The source recordings are top quality and we didn’t add anything new from those early recordings.”

As for the distortion, “at the time this project was done, there were well known ‘volume wars’ going on and this project suffered from that recording and mixing philosophy,” he says. “Mercifully, I think we are beyond that now.”

Nothing new was recorded, but new things that were recorded at that time were added to the remix. I still say this is more Botrill's vision than Rush's but they signed off on it because they liked it.

Doesn't mean I have to like it more, however.

Edited by ytserush

The original is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better. The remix stinks. Sounds like drum machine. Terrible.

The remix of Peaceable Kingdom is maybe the worst of it all. Freeze suffered pretty bad. Ceiling Unlimited as well.

PIECEOFSHITABLE KINGDOM

FREEZE?

I would rather freeze to death on the top of Mount Everest than listen to that tripe.

"Vapor Trails" is the "St. Anger" of Rush albums. it's absolutely one of the worst albums on the planet. Every great band writes a stinker. "The way out is the way in?" Vapor Trails should be the soundtrack to "The Human Centipede."

The original is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better. The remix stinks. Sounds like drum machine. Terrible.

The remix of Peaceable Kingdom is maybe the worst of it all. Freeze suffered pretty bad. Ceiling Unlimited as well.

PIECEOFSHITABLE KINGDOM

FREEZE?

I would rather freeze to death on the top of Mount Everest than listen to that tripe.

"Vapor Trails" is the "St. Anger" of Rush albums. it's absolutely one of the worst albums on the planet. Every great band writes a stinker. "The way out is the way in?" Vapor Trails should be the soundtrack to "The Human Centipede."

Somewhere in Heaven, angels weep.