Unpopular opinion - The original VT is better than the remix

DadRockGirl

Vapor Trails is an easy record to hate, and unlike the ridiculous CA crowd, I appreciate and understand why it is so hated by many. But the reasons so many hate the album, especially in its original form, are exactly why I love it so very much.

You've come a long way from your earlier opinions that you "absolutely adore CA" and that Vapor Trails "sucks big time" and "sucks bumholes," which are statements you made in the Clockwork Angels Revisited thread.

:LOL:

I went there. I can't listen to the remixed version.

It isn't engrossing, is it? They improved the sound but lost the caustic anger in the process. Something went wrong with VT to make it sound so...right!

To me, the remix is emotionless and without the raw intensity of the original, the songs maintain their strength but not the soul.

Anger, hurt and pain sets the original on fire, and those who dislike it quite honestly have reason to feel that way. But it is the most ballsy, dangerous and vicious sounding Rush album and the remix creates an Illusion of fire, but merely singes the edges of the listeners emotions.

This

• Like 2

One thing I wanted to comment on- and this doesn't have anything to do with the remix versus the original...but I just listened to VT all the way through yesterday, for the first time in awhile, and I noted it's almost completely devoid of guitar solos. I think I remember reading an interview with Alex shortly after the album came out, and he said that was pretty much intentional.

That is and always has been my biggest beef with VT. One of the most essential ingredients of Rush is missing for me. I seem to recall Alex saying at the time that he decided not to do solos because he was still kinda getting his chops back. I was really hoping that with the reissue, he might go in and add some lead playing to the songs, but he didn't. If you listen to what he added to Earthshine on the R30 dvd, it makes it a way better song than what's on the album.

As I recall, they had this idea to flip roles, with Geddy's bass taking on the role of lead guitar and Alex's guitar parts phrased as bass lines. The result is often needless overplaying by Geddy, and a feeling of emptiness where a strong guitar phrase or solo might fit. I still love the songs, though.

Needless overplaying by Geddy? I know it's most unusual to come before you so, but I can't believe you're saying.. this thing just can't be true!

Way too many uber-percussive 16th notes piled in there for my taste. It distracts from the melodies, which are quite strong.
  • Like 1

Vapor Trails is an easy record to hate, and unlike the ridiculous CA crowd, I appreciate and understand why it is so hated by many. But the reasons so many hate the album, especially in its original form, are exactly why I love it so very much.

You've come a long way from your earlier opinions that you "absolutely adore CA" and that Vapor Trails "sucks big time" and "sucks bumholes," which are statements you made in the Clockwork Angels Revisited thread.

My issue is not with CA it is with the fact that there exists a large bunch of people who do not react kindly to negative views on their favourite album, whereas I completely understand and can even pinpoint why my beloved VT could be hated by another fan.

When I joined this forum, I had not finished listening to all the Rush albums, I had not connected with the eighties albums, and had not heard HYF through to VT. Once I had immersed myself in the bands entire catalogue, CA joined the likes of T4E and RTB as albums that initially thrilled me, but got old fast.

• Like 2

CA joined the likes of T4E and RTB as albums that initially thrilled me, but got old fast.

That's a pretty common thing, and if a guy wanted to go back and mine posts from RUSH fansites you'd find that pattern is somewhat universal. New material from RUSH is always an exciting thing, and is usually well-received. Over time, though, that zealousness is lots and the songs alone become the focus. What is initially interesting can lose its appeal over time, and the short-comings can start to take over.

I was lucky enough to get the official remaster by Andy VanDette of the original mix. It is by far the best of all versions. The remix has some positives but overall it feels neutered.

Upon hearing of the new digital release of Vapor Trails, and reading some of the reviews, I contacted Andy VanDette to ask the big question: is this the long awaited Vapor Trails remaster of the original master tapes, or just a remix?:

These are the original mixes, but with a much different treatment. For what it is worth........A typical album takes me about 8 hours to master. I spent 4 days on VT, trying to find a way to emphasize the positive, and downplay the negative, with a "car test" every morning on my way in to the studio. I knew this album in particular would receive tremendous scrutiny. Being a musician, growing up on the other side of Niagara Falls from the band, Rush had a huge influence on me. I hope I have done their catalog justice.

Check it out. I hope you will agree that VT sounds much less 'overblown'. I tried to design it to be more open and dynamic.

I hope you enjoy it.

Cheers,

Andy VanDette

Chief Mastering Engineer

Masterdisk NYC

I think of the 3 versions, Original, Remix and the Remaster mentioned above I like this Remastered version the most as well. I think Andy Van Dette did a fantastic job. After a month of listening to all the albums again, Trails is still a top 6 album for me. Hemispheres, Pictures, Waves, Windows, Angels, Trails.

Edited by Duke1
  • Like 1

While I have everyone's attention, I just want to share my awesome Rush jacket and t-shirt with you all :haz: :rush: 11990671_1176257835723468_6454620248851817799_n.jpg?oh=ba81a8045f45f6582b3b9cfd9192f284&oe=56659B4A

I've got the same patches

They're like the only patches in existence :(

• Like 1

clockwork angels and the vt remix are my favorite Rush albums

This is true?... :)

yes completely

Cool! VT Remix and CA are probably in my top 6 or so. Good stuff.

Guess so. Enjoy... :cheers:
  • Like 1

CA joined the likes of T4E and RTB as albums that initially thrilled me, but got old fast.

That's a pretty common thing, and if a guy wanted to go back and mine posts from RUSH fansites you'd find that pattern is somewhat universal. New material from RUSH is always an exciting thing, and is usually well-received. Over time, though, that zealousness is lots and the songs alone become the focus. What is initially interesting can lose its appeal over time, and the short-comings can start to take over.

Speaking only for myself, it isn't short-comings. I don't know what I would even call it, and the only way I can think to put it is that if it doesn't endure with me, it has no depth for me.

I do think that CA is the best Rush has done in a long time though. IF they do another album, I hope they follow along and pursue that sound. Not with the same record producer though. ;)

• Like 1

While I have everyone's attention, I just want to share my awesome Rush jacket and t-shirt with you all :haz: :rush: 11990671_1176257835723468_6454620248851817799_n.jpg?oh=ba81a8045f45f6582b3b9cfd9192f284&oe=56659B4A

I've got the same patches

They're like the only patches in existence :(

I've got patches on the patches of my old blue jeans. :yes:

Well...they used to be blue...when they used to be new...when they used to be clean.

Edited by goose

Recently started listening to Rush properly after having bought some albums (LPs) in Charity shops, and CDs cheap on Amazon marketplace. Never been a 'fan' as such of the band. But I found Moving Pictures growing on me over a period of months. Which led me to watching stuff on Youtube. I saw the Hobbies on the Road clip, and instantly fell in love with 'Secret Touch' and discovered the musical masterpiece that is Vapor Trails (Brickwall mastering notwithstanding). Sometimes songwriting connects with a person, and VT has done that in a similar fashion to Moving Pictures. I've just ordered the Remix album to compare to the Original, but having read a bit on here, I'm wondering if I should have bought the Andy VanDette Studio Album remasters box.
  • Like 1

I went there. I can't listen to the remixed version.

It isn't engrossing, is it? They improved the sound but lost the caustic anger in the process. Something went wrong with VT to make it sound so...right!

To me, the remix is emotionless and without the raw intensity of the original, the songs maintain their strength but not the soul.

Anger, hurt and pain sets the original on fire, and those who dislike it quite honestly have reason to feel that way. But it is the most ballsy, dangerous and vicious sounding Rush album and the remix creates an Illusion of fire, but merely singes the edges of the listeners emotions.

This

this too

Recently started listening to Rush properly after having bought some albums (LPs) in Charity shops, and CDs cheap on Amazon marketplace. Never been a 'fan' as such of the band. But I found Moving Pictures growing on me over a period of months. Which led me to watching stuff on Youtube. I saw the Hobbies on the Road clip, and instantly fell in love with 'Secret Touch' and discovered the musical masterpiece that is Vapor Trails (Brickwall mastering notwithstanding). Sometimes songwriting connects with a person, and VT has done that in a similar fashion to Moving Pictures. I've just ordered the Remix album to compare to the Original, but having read a bit on here, I'm wondering if I should have bought the Andy VanDette Studio Album remasters box.

The remix is garbage, but it's still RUSH!

You should buy Counterparts if you're a fan of Vapor Trails, but want better sonic quality. Also, Test For Echo...

Edited by DistantEarlySignals

The original is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better. The remix stinks. Sounds like drum machine. Terrible.

The remix of Peaceable Kingdom is maybe the worst of it all. Freeze suffered pretty bad. Ceiling Unlimited as well.

Freeze and Out Of The Cradle were dreadful on the remix. I thought they were bad songs until I heard the original!

I was the same with these two!

• Like 1

The box is a better value if you can find an inexpensive one. I prefer the original myself, but I like having the other one for comparison. Vapor Trails is the only album with this advantage. Secret Touch is even better live (as all Rush songs are.)

I'll end up getting them all. :D I like the melodic accessibility of MP, but at the same time, the sheer musical angst of VT really grabbed me in a way that Ive not been grabbed for many an album by any band - for quite some time.

I was lucky enough to get the official remaster by Andy VanDette of the original mix. It is by far the best of all versions. The remix has some positives but overall it feels neutered.

Upon hearing of the new digital release of Vapor Trails, and reading some of the reviews, I contacted Andy VanDette to ask the big question: is this the long awaited Vapor Trails remaster of the original master tapes, or just a remix?:

These are the original mixes, but with a much different treatment. For what it is worth........A typical album takes me about 8 hours to master. I spent 4 days on VT, trying to find a way to emphasize the positive, and downplay the negative, with a "car test" every morning on my way in to the studio. I knew this album in particular would receive tremendous scrutiny. Being a musician, growing up on the other side of Niagara Falls from the band, Rush had a huge influence on me. I hope I have done their catalog justice.

Check it out. I hope you will agree that VT sounds much less 'overblown'. I tried to design it to be more open and dynamic.

I hope you enjoy it.

Cheers,

Andy VanDette

Chief Mastering Engineer

Masterdisk NYC

Agreed on VanDette's remaster as far as the official versions go. I'm surprised that there hasn't been any discussion of the various fan-made remasters that are floating around out there. I have a couple of those, and they sound great. The basic steps to make your own can be found out there on the interwebs. Here's a couple of simple fixes pulled from the Audacity forum:

Using Audacity:

1) Convert to 32-bit

2) Amplify by a negative amount (probably around -10dB)

3) Split the album into tracks and export as 32-bit WAV files

4) Import one track and run ClipFix (available in Audacity 1.3.6) - do not try and run it on the entire album in one go because it will take forever, and probably crash.

5) Repeat step 4 for each track (restart Audacity between processing each track)

6) Restart Audacity, import all the tracks.

7) Apply "Amplify" to all tracks at the same time.

8) Use "fast lookahead limiter" (available as a free plug-in for Audacity).

Using Cool Edit Pro:

1)Convert to 32-bit

2)Run Cool Edit Pro 'Clip Restoration ' ('Restore Normal' preset) except with a -2.6dB setting.

3)Run WavesMasters 'L2 Ultramaximizer' ( http://www.waves.com ) with the following settings: -1.3 dB Threshold, 0 dB Out Ceiling, ARC Enabled, Quantize = 16-bit, Dither = Type1, Shaping = Ultra)

4)Repeat steps 2 and 3

5)Convert to 16-bit and Save

It's amazing how much of an improvement can be made on the original master. The resulting audio is what I imagine the original intent of the mix was. The power is preserved without the clipping and ear fatigue.

Edited by malnar

I'll end up getting them all. :D I like the melodic accessibility of MP, but at the same time, the sheer musical angst of VT really grabbed me in a way that Ive not been grabbed for many an album by any band - for quite some time.

:goodone: Edited by goose