The Larger Bowl is my favorite Rush song because...

worst

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#61 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 69052 posts
  • Interests:marxism

Posted 17 September 2015 - 09:23 AM

View PostMMCXII, on 17 September 2015 - 08:45 AM, said:

It's named after a part of a toilet and the flow of the song reminds one of something slowly spiraling down the drain

Just watched a live S&A version.  Dreadful, other than Alex's solo.

ETA:  The studio track is more enjoyable, IMO.

Edited by goose, 17 September 2015 - 09:27 AM.

Sponsored Post

#62 jnoble

jnoble

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1388 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 03:05 PM

just my 2 cents, but this is one of Neil's worst lyrics. I relistened today on the way to work to get reaquainted and God does this song suck!  Preachy whiney "whoa is us" crap that sounds like it was written by a 14 year old getting into politics. I can't believe the same guy who penned such classic albums like Hemispheres, Kings, Perm Waves, Moving Pictures, etc etc penned THAT drivel. And Geddy and Alex being OK with putting music to them which ironically turned out just as uninspired and downbeat as the words.

This is why I wouldnt have been a good choice for the band to produce that album:
Me (sarcastically): "Mr Peart, we still have 4 minutes of time left on this project...do you have any more lyrics about how much the world sucks and religion is scary to add to the pile of dull boredom youve already recorded?  No?  That's OK, don't get up, I'll show myself out...." :D

#63 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 69052 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 08:58 PM

View Postjnoble, on 17 September 2015 - 03:05 PM, said:

just my 2 cents, but this is one of Neil's worst lyrics. I relistened today on the way to work to get reaquainted and God does this song suck!  Preachy whiney "whoa is us" crap that sounds like it was written by a 14 year old getting into politics. I can't believe the same guy who penned such classic albums like Hemispheres, Kings, Perm Waves, Moving Pictures, etc etc penned THAT drivel. And Geddy and Alex being OK with putting music to them which ironically turned out just as uninspired and downbeat as the words.

This is why I wouldnt have been a good choice for the band to produce that album:
Me (sarcastically): "Mr Peart, we still have 4 minutes of time left on this project...do you have any more lyrics about how much the world sucks and religion is scary to add to the pile of dull boredom youve already recorded?  No?  That's OK, don't get up, I'll show myself out...." :D
:lol:

#64 Super25Smasher

Super25Smasher

The Oracle

• Members *
  • 10516 posts
  • Interests:Classic Rock, Punk Rock, Alternative Rock/Grunge, Metal, Classic Video Games, Playing Bass Guitar

Posted 17 September 2015 - 09:12 PM

In all honesty, it's such a pleasant song. I love it!

#65 Digital Dad

Digital Dad

The Dad Abides

• Members
  • 10648 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 11:04 PM

Now that is funny right there.

Not one of my favorites actually but enjoyable but it goes by and ends and Im not like. oh frick yeah wot a jam!!  Kinda like Heresy or War Paint. It just breezes by and you think, "Well that's pleasant" and then you go on to better tracks.

#66 laughedatbytime

laughedatbytime

Twin City Cub Fan

• Members *
  • 80220 posts
  • Interests:marxism, hate, subjugating the individual to the state, the Great Purges, the Holodomor, the Cultural Revolution, the Great Leap Forward, the New York Times

Posted 17 September 2015 - 11:13 PM

Like times a googol.

#67 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 32918 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 11:53 PM

Because nobody is ever wrong when telling their favorite whatever.

P.S. I don't like the song. And I can't decide which is my least favorite Rush album but Snakes might be it.

#68 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 32918 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 11:55 PM

View PostAnEggplant, on 14 September 2015 - 11:27 PM, said:

I know the cool thing to do is to hate on it, but I really like Snakes And Arrows. The Larger Bowl is not my favorite Rush song, but I do really like it.
Is it the cool thing? Then I'm incidentally doing the cool thing.

#69 thirteen

thirteen

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 975 posts
  • Interests:Guitar.
    AC/DC, Rush, Seasick Steve, SRV, Rainbow/Deep Purple.

Posted 18 September 2015 - 06:36 AM

Woohoohohoooohoowwwooo (neighbourhood cats start going crazy)

This song is a perfect example of the times when a producer should have said "Geddy....sometimes with singing 'less is more".
"I know you want to sing right now...but for the benefit of the song please don't".

IMO the only listenable part of the song is Alex's solo.

#70 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 69052 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 03:28 PM

View Postthirteen, on 18 September 2015 - 06:36 AM, said:

This song is a perfect example of the times when a producer should have said "Geddy....sometimes with singing 'less is more".
"I know you want to sing right now...but for the benefit of the song please don't".

:goodone:

The live version I posted made that clear to me.

#71 WorkingAllTheTime

WorkingAllTheTime

Rushaholic

• Members *
  • 2018 posts
  • Interests:Writing code for the priests of Syrinx.

Posted 18 September 2015 - 03:50 PM

Sometimes I hear this song and think that maybe the guys were trying too hard to tap into their 60s rock fan roots.  Sometimes I hear this song and think maybe it's the jingle to a feel good Coca Cola commercial that has gone terribly wrong.  Sometimes I hear this song and think sometimes Neil just tries to be too obvious with his message.

But then I remember them playing this during the tour and, specifically at the Dallas show, hearing an audible gasp from many in the crowd at the backdrop imagery (specifically, the photo of the two children in green hoods holding hand guns) and think, you know what, it may be corny and over-the-top, but I contend, even with that reality, it still has more intellectual and emotional depth than pretty much most of what has been produced in the rock genre in the last 50 years.

If this is the worst this band has to offer, then I am good with that.

PS  There are actually some Rush songs that are much worse, and even more corny and over-the-top.  It's Rush.... they define corny and over-the-top.   That's their thing.

Edited by WorkingAllTheTime, 18 September 2015 - 03:51 PM.

#72 DadRockGirl

DadRockGirl

The Seeker

• Members
  • 106 posts
  • Interests:Rush, bass, singing, alcohol, Arrow (TV series), Parks & Recreation, The Flash, Steve Lukather's face

Posted 19 September 2015 - 03:16 AM

I actually love his woahs :(

#73 Rushman2112

Rushman2112

The Seeker

• Members *
  • 108 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 07:12 AM

View PostDadRockGirl, on 19 September 2015 - 03:16 AM, said:

I actually love his woahs :(
I wish you were just trolling.  :blink:

#74 Rushman2112

Rushman2112

The Seeker

• Members *
  • 108 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 07:15 AM

View Postgoose, on 17 September 2015 - 09:23 AM, said:

View PostMMCXII, on 17 September 2015 - 08:45 AM, said:

It's named after a part of a toilet and the flow of the song reminds one of something slowly spiraling down the drain

Just watched a live S&A version.  Dreadful, other than Alex's solo.

ETA:  The studio track is more enjoyable, IMO.
I can't believe that some of the comments underneath this video on YouTube literally say that it is the best Rush song.  :banghead:

#75 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

Cupcake Warrior

• Members
  • 37600 posts
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Paradise Lost
    Nightwish
    HIM
    The Gathering
    Within Temptation
    After Forever
    The Juliana Theory
    Iron Maiden
    Judas Priest
    Trivium
    Sonata Arctica
    Jimmy Eat World
    Alter Bridge

Posted 19 September 2015 - 07:38 AM

The Larger Bowl is actually the one and only song I always enjoy on SA.

#76 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 69052 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 10:41 AM

View PostSegue Myles, on 19 September 2015 - 07:38 AM, said:

The Larger Bowl is actually the one and only song I always enjoy on SA.
Whoah.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: worst

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users