Classical music?

Chronos

I don't know that I've ever seen a classical music discussion here before. Surely I can't be the only one who's into it...

I go in long "phases" occasionally where I listen to it to the near exclusion of anything else. For example, January through May of this year.

Faves are Chopin, Debussy, and Beethoven (especially string quartets).

Anyone else? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

My first introduction to classical music was at the age of six in 1960. My sister became fascinated with Ravel and played an album of his music over and over. What I remember the most is her telling me that he wrote one of the compositions when he was in a mental institution as a practice song.

So, yes. I do like it. It's a lot more soothing to listen to than rock.

• Like 2

I do like classical music, but not opera. I am a fan of Mozart and other big, powerful composers, and I especially like pieces that feature cellos.

I've seen the SF Symphony perform Carmina Burana with a chorus of 50 men, 50 women, and 50 children and it brought me to tears.

• Like 3

I have had very long phases (years) when I have listened almost exclusively to classical music. I'm particularly fond of baroque music, especially Handel, JS Bach and Purcell. Additionally I listen to a lot of choral music from all eras but on the whole I don't like opera much. I have sung with choirs that perform mostly classical and/or church music since I was a small child.
  • Like 1

I have had very long phases (years) when I have listened almost exclusively to classical music. I'm particularly fond of baroque music, especially Handel, JS Bach and Purcell. Additionally I listen to a lot of choral music from all eras but on the whole I don't like opera much. I have sung with choirs that perform mostly classical and/or church music since I was a small child.

Henry Purcell was a brilliant composer. His Funeral Music for Queen Mary is exceptional.

• Like 1

Yes, definitely love classical music. It is why symphonic metal is such a beautiful genre to me!
  • Like 2

I do like classical music, but not opera.

I listen to classical music every week night before bed, on the local PBS station. I love classical - always have - and I look forward to it every night. Saturdays is jazz, which I also love. But Sundays....Sunday is opera night. I listen every Sunday, out of duty. With the odd exception, I detest opera. I keep wondering if this Sunday is the one when opera will click, but that Sunday never comes.
  • Like 2

I love Bach, Rachmaninov, and Vivaldi.

I listen to a lot of classical guitar music, too. I'd love to be able to play it. Baby steps, though. I just dabble in it.

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 3

OK, classical music fans...

...what song does Wonka play on the tiny piano?

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/ksZ-fk2LX7E/hqdefault.jpg

Born To Run

• Like 1

I grrew up in a household with classical playing quite alot because that is my father's favorite music. I am partial to baroque, so I like Bach, Vivaldi, Handel, and also Mozart and Beethoven.
  • Like 3

I grrew up in a household with classical playing quite alot because that is my father's favorite music. I am partial to baroque, so I like Bach, Vivaldi, Handel, and also Mozart and Beethoven.

Hey catherine. Long time... :hi:

Hey Narps! I know. I am a totally recluse, but I do check in once a day and skim even when I don't post. :-)

• Like 1

Hey Narps! I know. I am a totally recluse, but I do check in once a day and skim even when I don't post. :-)

:cheers: Good to see you anyway. Everyone does it different... :)
  • Like 1