6 Films that Upset, Inspire, and Rile you up

JohnnyBlaze

I read an article in a film magazine today with this very topic [except that it focused on Jason Flemyng's answers]. I think this could get pretty interesting given the variety of films that we TRFers are into and disagree about. So, here's what you do: List the movie according to the topic and (hopefully) write a few comments on it. Here are the 6 topics:

1) The first movie I ever saw

2) The movie that always makes me cry

3) The film everyone loves that I hate

4) My desert island movie

5) The remake I'd like to see

6) The last film I watched on a plane

Example:

:blaze: 's 6 Films..

1) The first movie I ever saw:

Star Wars A New Hope. I was 4 going on 5 at the time. It truly was the best cinematic experience for a child: heroes, villains, rogues, monsters, spaceships, laser guns, swordfighting, magic. That movie still holds up I think.

2) The movie that always makes me cry:

Not trying to sound macho but I've never cried while watching a movie. The closest I've come is watching the Japanese animated war film Hotaru No Haka. Such a powerful film, tears or no tears.

3) The film everyone loves that I hate:

The Matrix. Keanu is rubbish, that's true BUT he has entertained me in a couple of other flicks. But not here. I've tried 3 times to watch this and have fallen asleep all 3 times. I should like it because I like sci-fi and Fishburne but nope. And oh, the philosophy behind The Matrix isn't something interesting or too over my head. It's just flat out boring to me.

4) My desert island movie:

Shawshank Redemption. It's what I think has the perfect script with a great cast to match. I've already seen it a few dozen times and I likely will never stop.

5) The remake I'd like to see:

I Am Legend. I'm not a Will Smith fan (far from it) but he did ok...just a miscasting I think: Smith is no geneticist. And the film plummeted big time midway through. Tweak that second half, make the infected humans much less powerful, and put in a different leading man and it might be worth something.

6) The last film I watched on a plane:

Big Hero 6. What a delight. Funny, touching, and well-paced with entertaining characters.

Well, those are my 6. Have at it. :blaze:

• Like 1

1) can't actually remember! Got childhood memories of watching 'The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance' and I still love it (I got the DVD)

2) The Party - with laughter!

3) Harry Potter saga -I believed nothing could top Titanic in this ranking

4) Apocalypse Now

5) Outland - I love the original, but I'd like to see a proper remake with modern technology

6) The Avengers - Age Of Ultron - on the way back to Italy from NYC and Rush at MSG. I still prefer the Superheroes I saw at the Garden....

• Like 1

1) can't actually remember! Got childhood memories of watching 'The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance' and I still love it (I got the DVD)

2) The Party - with laughter!

3) Harry Potter saga -I believed nothing could top Titanic in this ranking

4) Apocalypse Now

5) Outland - I love the original, but I'd like to see a proper remake with modern technology

6) The Avengers - Age Of Ultron - on the way back to Italy from NYC and Rush at MSG. I still prefer the Superheroes I saw at the Garden....

The Party! What a hilarious film!

I loathe Titanic too (fell asleep in the cinema during it). I don't despise the Potter flicks but they don't do anything for me.

No idea. I have vague memories of seeing The Sound of Music at the theater when I was young but that's it.

I don't cry often at movies but one that always gets me is the old Lana Turner/Sandra Dee one called Imitation of Life. I just sob at the ending.

ET. It's annoying.

Wow. Tough. Only one? Maybe The Quiet Man. I've seen it a multitude of times and it never gets old.

I'm not a fan of remakes in general. If it's a classic don't mess with it. But it might be fun to see Forbidden Planet redone.

Haven't been on a plane for about a decade, so I don't remember.

Edited by EagleMoon
  • Like 2

I'm not a fan of remakes in general. If it's a classic don't mess with it. But it might be fun to see Forbidden Planet redone.

Yeah I'm not a fan of remakes either. I wouldn't remake a movie that I actually liked. That wouldn't make too much sense to me. But taking a film that HAD promise but failed here and there is (possibly) another thang. And I'd never remake something like Transformers because I don't see anything redeeming about it.

Yeah I'm not a fan of remakes either. I wouldn't remake a movie that I actually liked. That wouldn't make too much sense to me. But taking a film that HAD promise but failed here and there is (possibly) another thang. And I'd never remake something like Transformers because I don't see anything redeeming about it.

Well right. There are a lot of books that I would like made into movies much more than I would like things remade. There's too much of that going on today as it is.

• Like 1

Well right. There are a lot of books that I would like made into movies much more than I would like things remade. There's too much of that going on today as it is.

Yup, I hear you.

• Like 1

First movie I saw: Dirty Dancing. Not my choice though...

Movie that makes me cry: Depends - live action or animated.

Movie everyone loves that I hate: ET.

Desert Island Movie: Westworld.

Movie remake : Westworld - I'd like to see how different it would look.

• Like 1

Westworld is actually my second choice for a remake

First Movie: At the cinema? Spiderman 2

Movie that makes me cry: Schindler's List

Movie That I Hate That Everyone Loves: toss up between any Star Wars film or Avatar

Desert Island Movie: Gone With The Wind

Movie Remake: Harry Potter, hand drawn animation.

- Not ever, but the first one I saw in a theater was Empire Strikes Back.

- Ferris Bueller - when the car dies

- Easily Avatar

- Have to say Shawshank. I stop on it every time I see it on

- Back to the Future II. The original is classic, but the second one could use new effects and fix some of the ridiculous predictions, like the double barrel tie.

- Last I can remember was Ronin

• Like 1

- Back to the Future II. The original is classic, but the second one could use new effects and fix some of the ridiculous predictions, like the double barrel tie.

It's set just over a month away...those ties may still happen yet ;) Edited by Your_Lion
  • Like 1

That would be fascinating, though there's meant to be a trailer for it, but it's billed as a fake trailer. I quite like that.

First movie:

At home the first movie I remember watching was The Goonies. My mom rented it right when it came out. In the theater it was Who Framed Roger Rabbit. I remember taking a three minute piss afterwards because I held it not wanting to miss anything. I still love both.

Mad tears, bro:

Not really, but the one movie I did tear up during was...Grave of the Fireflies. Yep, same somewhat obscure pick as JB!

Hated:

Get out of my head, JB! Matrix is the first thing that popped into my head. Hated the first one, saw the second one in the theater because my boss kept raving about it...hated it too. My mom had the third one on DVD, so I said what the hell and borrowed it...turned it off 30 minutes in, and that was the end of me ever trying to watch the Matrix again.

Another recent one is Upstream Color. It has an 84% on RT and an 81% on Metacritic, but it's complete garbage to me. Just total pretentious bullshit...and that's coming from someone who likes The Tree of Life.

Desert island movie:

Tough one. My initial thought would be Brazil or Blade Runner, my two favorite movies. But then I think I'd want something I could watch repeatedly so I'll go with Aliens.

Remake:

I really love the X-Men and hate the X-Men movies. It's time to reboot this shit with a fresh start.

Plane:

Never watched a movie on a plane. I did see What About Bob on a long bus ride once, and Wreck-It Ralph in a minivan if that counts. :LOL:

• Like 2

That would be fascinating, though there's meant to be a trailer for it, but it's billed as a fake trailer. I quite like that.

There's a Series listed on IMDB for next year:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0475784/

There's a Series listed on IMDB for next year:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0475784/

Two actors caught my attention : Ed Harris and Anthony Hopkins.

Mad tears, bro:

Not really, but the one movie I did tear up during was...Grave of the Fireflies. Yep, same somewhat obscure pick as JB!

I thoroughly recommend the anime's Barefoot Gen 1 and 2. They affected me even more deeply, but sadly they aren't very well known.

• Like 1

Hated:

Get out of my head, JB! Matrix is the first thing that popped into my head. Hated the first one, saw the second one in the theater because my boss kept raving about it...hated it too. My mom had the third one on DVD, so I said what the hell and borrowed it...turned it off 30 minutes in, and that was the end of me ever trying to watch the Matrix again.

I actually liked the first Matrix when I saw it in the theater. I hated both sequels and the more I watch the original, the less I like it. It still has amazing surround sound - especially the gun scene in the lobby near the end.
  • Like 2

Hated:

I actually liked the first Matrix when I saw it in the theater. I hated both sequels and the more I watch the original, the less I like it. It still has amazing surround sound - especially the gun scene in the lobby near the end.

I never got the Fuss for it, aside from the breathtaking action sequences. Otherwise, I found it to be one of those nineties action films that had a lot of good ideas, but not enough character.

I liked the Wachowski's V For Vendetta though. They film is like a trippy, beautiful nightmare.

• Like 1

Adding a #7...

7) Movie that always makes you happy when you're down

Around Christmas, I would say It's a Wonderful Life. Otherwise, I will likely say Apollo 13. Although I KNEW the outcome, I was swept up in the story, and felt the drama and excitement.

Mad tears, bro:

I thoroughly recommend the anime's Barefoot Gen 1 and 2. They affected me even more deeply, but sadly they aren't very well known.

I've seen the first one, but not the second. It didn't leave me feeling as deflated as Grave, but it's a great film.

• Like 1

I liked the Wachowski's V For Vendetta though. They film is like a trippy, beautiful nightmare.

I really like a few of their other films. Bound is good, V for Vendetta is awesome, I absolutely loved Cloud Atlas, and despite everyone else hating it, I really liked Speed Racer. I don't know what people expected from a live action Speed Racer, but I feel like they nailed it. Jupiter Ascending is another story though.

Movie That I Hate That Everyone Loves: toss up between any Star Wars film or Avatar

Yeah, Avatar was well over-appreciated. It just seemed like a cliche with great special effects.

And I can easily imagine Harry P as hand-drawn animation.

• Like 2

Yeah, Avatar was well over-appreciated. It just seemed like a cliche with great special effects.

And I can easily imagine Harry P as hand-drawn animation.

If "movie series" could be selected for a desert island, I would have a hard time choosing between James Bond, Star Wars and Harry Potter