6 Films that Upset, Inspire, and Rile you up

JohnnyBlaze

I actually like the "Upset, Inspire and Rile" question better !!!

But I'll stick to the topic:

1) The first movie I ever saw - Impossible to recall - but the first one that comes to mind is the original Night Of The Living Dead

I remember Night Of The Living Dead because my Dad agreed to stay up late on a weekend to watch it ( this is before VCRs, mind you ) .. I wanted to watch this crazy movie I had read about in the horror mags .. My Dad ultimately fell asleep before it came on, so I watched it alone - and LOVED it ( I was 7 or 8 )

2) The movie that always makes me cry - I'll go with Big Fish

3) The film everyone loves that I hate - Star Wars - I've never even made it thru the whole thing ..... and I love just about anything 1970s ... Dreadfully annoying

4) My desert island movie - gotta go with my first reaction - Suicide Club - I love that movie for so many reasons, and it says something a little different each time I watch it ...

5) The remake I'd like to see - modern American movies are garbage - any remake would have to be made somewhere else, by a crew with sincerity ... That said, I'd like to see a Japanese remake of Picnic At Hanging Rock

6) The last film I watched on a plane - Last time I was on a plane, I looked out the window

Edited by Lucas

First Movie: Sound Of Music

Crying: Mr. Hollands Opus. I have seen it so many times and I cry every time still

Hated: ET sounds reasonable although I loved it when it came out and actually went and saw it 3 times at the theater :wacko:

Desert Island: Shawshank I suppose. Can't get much better than that one and as LIX said when you see it on you can't help but stop flipping channels and watch it

Remake: Not a fan. Don't know

Airplane: Never seen a movie on a plane

To add one category if I may... Scared sh*tless: Halloween, Aliens

:)

I like the "Scared Sh!tless" addition !!

I LIKE being scared, but it's been awhile .... I'll tell ya what though - when I saw the original Friday The 13th in the theater in 1980 ( big year for me btw lol ), I was frozen with fear when the real killer was revealed . .

Years and years later, I met the actress ( Betsy Palmer ) at a horror film convention and told her how much of an impact her portrayal had on me - and how much sleep I had lost !!!

She was the kindest, most sincere celebrity I had ever met - which helped things, but I still get a little freaked out watching it ....

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 1

Crying: Mr. Hollands Opus. I have seen it so many times and I cry every time still

Hated: ET sounds reasonable although I loved it when it came out and actually went and saw it 3 times at the theater :wacko:

Desert Island: Shawshank I suppose. Can't get much better than that one and as LIX said when you see it on you can't help but stop flipping channels and watch it

I LIKE being scared, but it's been awhile .... I'll tell ya what though - when I saw the original Friday The 13th in the theater in 1980 ( big year for me btw lol ), I was frozen with fear when the real killer was revealed . .

Years and years later, I met the actress ( Betsy Palmer ) at a horror film convention and told her how much of an impact her portrayal had on me - and how much sleep I had lost !!!

She was the kindest, most sincere celebrity I had ever met - which helped things, but I still get a little freaked out watching it ....

What other celebrities have you met? Who was the biggest scumbag? ;)

• Like 1

My "big year" was 79' :LOL: . Very late bloomer. Agreed on everything you said about Friday The 13th. As I said I saw all the classics when I was younger...
  • Like 1

1) The first movie I ever saw: I'll say the original Love Bug at the drive in

2) The movie that always makes me cry: Brian's Song.

3) The film everyone loves that I hate: Frozen. Insidious exercise in social engineering and child brainwashing.

4) My desert island movie: Shawshank, Godfather(s), Apocalypse have been mentioned. How about one of the Cohen Bros. classics? Oh, Brother..., No Country..., or Lebowski. I'll g with Lebowski, for some desert island nudity. (Along the desert island theme http://www.therushfo...ce/page__st__40 )

5) The remake I'd like to see: Put me on Team Babycat with Westworld. Series scheduled for 2016? https://en.wikipedia...orld_(TV_series)

6) The last film I watched on a plane: Frozen. :facepalm:

Edited by goose

1) The first movie I ever saw:

Who can remember that? My dad worked for Volkswagen so it might be the love bug.

2) The movie that always makes me cry:

Always? None. I've gotten teared up here and there though.

3) The film everyone loves that I hate:

Inception comes to mind. I found it to be a bore.

4) My desert island movie:

Tough question. Maybe Lawrence of Arabia.

5) The remake I'd like to see:

Paths of Glory

6) The last film I watched on a plane:

I don't fly much and don't watch movies when I do. Music.

3) The film everyone loves that I hate: Frozen. Insidious exercise in social engineering and child brainwashing.

4) My desert island movie: Shawshank, Godfather(s), Apocalypse have been mentioned. How about one of the Cohen Bros. classics? Oh, Brother..., No Country..., or Lebowski. I'll g with Lebowski, for some desert island nudity. (Along the desert island theme http://www.therushfo...ce/page__st__40 )

5) The remake I'd like to see: Put me on Team Babycat with Westworld. Series scheduled for 2016? https://en.wikipedia...orld_(TV_series)

Curious about your comments on frozen. I felt that it flipped the usual Disney template and actually was anti-brainwashing and social engineering.

1) The first movie I ever saw:

Who can remember that? My dad worked for Volkswagen so it might be the love bug.

3) The film everyone loves that I hate:

Inception comes to mind. I found it to be a bore.

6) The last film I watched on a plane:

I don't fly much and don't watch movies when I do. Music.

(1) Who can remember their first movie? I do! I said that already. :)

(3) Dear god I nearly fell asleep in the cinema watching Inception. Boring as all hell to me too.

(6) Flying from Japan to my hometown in north Florida...actual AIR time is 16-17 hours. Japan to Europe...air time, 12-14 hours. Japan to Southeast Asia...air time, 6-7 hours. Yeah, you can say I've seen tons of movies on flights.

How can it be when the studio predicted it would be only a moderate success? They didn't even produce enough merchandise as they didn't expect much in the way of demand, until a few months later.

The story of the film itself took a lot of changes before the end result, it definitely wasn't an easy film to make and was cancelled more than once.

What other celebrities have you met? Who was the biggest scumbag? ;)

I have met a lot of celebrities at the conventions, but they are usually on their best behavior - but it is quite easy to tell the ones who are sincere from the ones there to make a quick buck ..

I've also met some famous people simply on the street . .

The first that comes to mind was, again, around 1980 - My Dad had ordered a beautiful Guild 12 string acoustic guitar for me ( Dad really encouraged me with the acoustic at that age, if ya know what I mean ) .... He and the owner of the store were friends, and because the store was all the way down in Red Bank, NJ ( 2 hours away ), we'd always go down on the weekdend ..

But the store owner called on a weekday and told us the guitar was there - and being the impatient kid I was, and being the great Dad I had, we drove down on a weekday night after the store had closed to pick up the guitar ... The owner said he would wait, and he had some repairs to do on other things anyway ..

So we get there, and the owner lets us in and leads us into the back where my new Guild was ... and on our way into the back, I see a skinny guy with long hair working on a guitar in the repair area ... And I kinda recognized him, but wasn't sure ... So we ask the owner, and he said "Oh yeah, that's Jimmy - he's got a gig a Nassau Coliseum this week and is getting his guitars ready"

It turns out that it was Jimmy Crespo, who had just taken over for Joe Perry in Aerosmith .... The owner leads us back there and introduces us - I was a big Aerosmith fan, so I was pretty star-struck ... Jimmy Crespo could not have been kinder or more receptive - when he found out why we were there, he wanted to see my new Guild - the guy stopped everything he was doing and spoke with us for a while ... He was so nice, and even my Dad ( who was a guitar player too, but Aerosmith or KISS was not quite his cup of tea ) loved Jimmy Crespo ..

He was so respectful and took the time to show me his guitars and told me about how it was pretty overwhelming coming in for Joe Perry ..... He left a huge, lasting impression on me ....

On the other hand:

I think everyone here knows by now that I am a huge KISS fan ... so a few years back when Paul Stanley was hawking his paintings at a local art gallery, I decided that I'd go see ...

The art gallery was in The Short Hills Mall - and if you are familar w/ NJ, it is a very nice mall - Neiman Marcus, Gucci, etc etc ... Real expensive and exclusive ..... Anyways, in order to get into the art gallery, you were required to purchase one of Paul's dreadful paintings - and then you could meet him ...

So me, my girlfriend, and about 20 other people stood outside the art gallery where we could see Paul, and everything that was going on ... There was only one way in and out, so we figured that when the gallery closed, we'd have a chance to to say HEY PAUL, and maybe - MAYBE - get him to stop and chat ...

After waiting a few hours, Paul finally came out ... by that time, there were about 12 or 15 of us waiting ( this is a mall, so we were just kind of standing near the railing and hovering around )

There was no big commotion - no hysteria - but as Paul walked by us, there were the usual HEY PAUL , and WE LOVE YA directed at him ..... Now, I wasn't really expecting him to stop are belt out a song, but the mother****** turned his head and didn;t even acknowledge any of the HELLO PAULs

As it became apparent that he was intent on just beating it outta there, I remember saying - loud enough to be heard by everyone - "THAT'S OK, HE'S PROBABLY JUST ASHAMED OF HIS LOUSY PAINTINGS"

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 1

Curious about your comments on frozen. I felt that it flipped the usual Disney template and actually was anti-brainwashing and social engineering.

The flip was so intentional, so heavy-handed, so PC... :eyeroll:

A helicopter parent's wet dream. No thanks.

The flip was so intentional, so heavy-handed, so PC... :eyeroll:

A helicopter parent's wet dream. No thanks.

Hopefully I'm not a helicopter parent.....having daughters I appreciated a story that didn't require marriage for her to be successful. Too many of those already out there. There is also the Elsa part of story that is about accepting who you are and not worrying about what others think. I enjoyed it but I also saw it opening weekend before it became so huge and over exposed.

• Like 1

Herbie Rides Again/The Apple Dumpling Gang at a drive-in.

Man, does that bring back memories. Piling in the 1970 Volvo station wagon, 25-cent chili dogs at A&W, then off to the drive-in.

Standout drive-in movies from my childhood...

Now You See Him, Now You Don't

The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes

The Absent-Minded Professor

The Shaggy Dog

Cat from Outer Space

Apple Dumpling Gang

Freaky Friday