has fender issued a limited geddy lee usa fender jazz ?

maxbeckmann

Fender came out with a Fender USA Geddy Lee Jazz Bass this Spring, (2015) but it was modeled after his signature black one so it's black with white pearlized pick guard. It's not a limited edition and not red. I would just think that this one is just something new and maybe it is, but the thing that makes me wonder is that the red Ebay one has the black block inlays on the neck. If you watch the video (below) with Geddy talking about how he worked with Fender to make the bass, he talks about how he didn't want that for the bass that came out this spring; it does have more neutral position inlays, so that makes me wonder. I dunno though, EagleMoon knows more about basses and that type of thing. :)

http://www.fender.co...be-Descriptions

The ad on eBay shows the back of the neck and Geddy's signature is clearly visible. Furthermore the seller has sold nearly 75,000 items on eBay with 99.7% positive. Plus Geddy does play a crimson red version tuned down a whole step for 2112 since they resumed touring. Though that bass has no pick guard (easily removed) but the wood grain on the bass in the ad resembles the one Geddy does play. Looks legitimate. Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2

Well, there goes another bass I can't afford at the moment. Fender should've done a limited Seafoam Green Ged bass tbh.

Well, with him playing so many vintage J's on tour his signature model is kind of a moot point. The differences of one to another are pretty slim. Fender cycles colors all the time. If there isn't a seasfoam green one available now there will be sometime. You can find so many 72 style necks on new models too.

If you have a jazz bass already it's easy enough to get a seafoam green body from someone like Warmoth or USACG's and switch It out. The wood on their bodies is better quality than the majority of Fender bodies as well.
  • Like 1

If you have a jazz bass already it's easy enough to get a seafoam green body from someone like Warmoth or USACG's and switch It out. The wood on their bodies is better quality than the majority of Fender bodies as well.

That's a lot of work though. Transferring electronics and hardware, setting the neck straight and height align with the bridge. So many potential gotchas. The guy I played with in Trilogy built a lot of guitars from Warmoth. For the experienced tinkerer.

• Like 1

That's a lot of work though. Transferring electronics and hardware, setting the neck straight and height align with the bridge. So many potential gotchas. The guy I played with in Trilogy built a lot of guitars from Warmoth. For the experienced tinkerer.

Yeah but it's so much fun. :)

here is the official reply i just got from fender.

(i just bought one !!)

Sep 14, 11:50

Hello,

This was a Factory Special Run we recently did! They are certainly legit, and extremely limited - a total of 100 pieces globally.

It will feature the same specifications (listed below) as the US Geddy Lee, but with a different finish color and Block Inlays/Binding instead of Pearloid.

Model Name: US Geddy Lee Jazz Bass®

Model Number: 019-7702-(806)

Series: Artist Series

Colors: (806) Black,

(Gloss Polyurethane Finish)

Body: Alder

Neck: 1-Piece Maple, Thick “C” Shape,

(Hand Rubbed Oil on Back, Gloss Urethane on Front)

Fingerboard: Maple, 9.5” Radius (241 mm)

FRETS: 20 Medium Jumbo Frets

Scale Length: 34” (863.6 mm)

Nut: Bone, 1.50” (38 mm)

Hardware: Chrome/Nickel

Machine Heads: Vintage ‘70s "Fender" Stamped Open Gear Tuning Machines

Bridge: Geddy Lee High Mass Bridge with Chrome Plated Zinc Saddles

Pickguard: 3-Ply White Pearloid

Pickups: 2 Custom Voiced American Vintage '70s Geddy Lee Single-Coil Pickups (Bridge and Middle)

Pickup Switching: None

Controls: Volume 1. (Neck Pickup),

Volume 2. (Bridge Pickup),

Master Tone

Strings: Fender® USA 7250M, NPS, (Gauges .045, .065, .085, .105)

Case: ABS Molded Case, P/N 0095697001

Unique Features: White Fingerboard Binding with White Pearloid Rectangular Shaped Position Inlays,

Vintage-Style Black Plastic Jazz Bass Control Knobs,

Single Disk String Tree,

‘70s Headstock Logo,

Source: U.S.

Accessories: Case, Cable, Strap, Polishing Cloth

U.S. MSRP: $1,599.99

INTRODUCED: 1/2015

DISCONTINUED:

DISCONTINUED COLORS:

COMMENTS:

WRENCH SIZES: Saddle Height Adjustment Wrench, (.050” Hex), P/N 0018531000

MARKETING COPY: Bassists have loved the signature Geddy Lee Jazz Bass for years. The new U.S.A. Geddy Lee Jazz Bass is a new version that combines the specs and features of Lee’s three favorite basses—two Fender Custom Shop versions of his signature model and the original sleek black ’72 Jazz Bass that Rush’s revered bassist/

vocalist has riffed away on in front of millions of devoted fans worldwide and on many a mega-selling album. The neck has a thicker custom profile, topped by a maple fingerboard with elegant white binding and white pearloid block inlays. For enormous tone that crackles with life and bristles with the energy, its two vintage-style single-coil Jazz Bass pickups are specially wound and voiced to sound like those on Lee’s prized 1972 original, and a Geddy Lee signature High-Mass bridge provides rock-solid intonation.

NOTICE: Product Prices, Features, Specifications and Availability Are Subject To Change Without Notice

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Bryce Wells

Consumer Relations Representative

Fender Musical

Instruments Corp.

17600 N. Perimeter Dr., Suite 100

Scottsdale, AZ

(480) 845-5137

So basically it's the same as the original Geddy bass but with a red body. Big thrill.

from my understanding, same from the usa 2015 model.

Right.

The neck seems to be more like original Gedd than 2015 USA model....besides the fret markers...

Thinner you mean? That might not be a good thing. A lot of those older Geddy basses had really unstable necks.

The neck seems to be more like original Gedd than 2015 USA model....besides the fret markers...

Thinner you mean? That might not be a good thing. A lot of those older Geddy basses had really unstable necks.

i'll be able to tell you real soon. i should receive my bass tomorrow according to ups.

I wish I had your budget. Must be nice. Of course I'd buy completely other stuff...
  • Like 1

I wish I had your budget. Must be nice. Of course I'd buy completely other stuff...

haha.

i am not surprised.

well, do we ever know if we make a "good deal" ?

i am sure a fanboi. otherwise i wouldn't have bought a signature bass.

i bought it through reverb.com. didn't know the website before.

first time i buy without seeing and touching the actual bass.

i rolled the dice.

i must say the guys from huber breeze music (michigan) from whom i bought the bass were pretty cool.

they even agreed my "offer" at 1499.99. (mrsp was 1599.99)

i guess for a u.s. made fender jazz, it's not a bad price. plus it's limited...(who knows the real value in 20 years)

now, if the ups guy could arrive....

Edited by maxbeckmann

Yes. We know a good deal when we feel we got more out of the deal than the other party. I haven't paid full price for any product in 2 decades. One of my best friends is the top drum guy for Guitar Center so I buy most things for a hair over GC cost which means they do not profit from my purchases. I only buy software when it's reduced in price. Buy smart. Things like strings and accessories can be purchased on Amazon if Guitar Center doesn't have them and it's sometimes cheaper if they want to get rid of something. Just about everything is negotiable. Even my Xbox Live account is less than full price because I look for deals on everything.

One of the best deals I ever got was a Washburn 12 string I didn't want. It wasn't the 12 string I was looking for that had been advertised and was strung incorrectly by the store. It was marked $250 (late 80's $250) but they wanted to move it so I offered $100 and the guy said Ok. Back in those days the way GC worked was you made on offer and then a manager had to approve or counter. They countered with $120 so I had them throw in strings and a case. I took it home, restrung it properly and now it's in my living room ready to go. Sometime later I was in another GC and saw an Ovation acoustic marked $500. I got them down to $350 when I added my favorite J bass to the deal which was marked @ $250 but I got the whole deal for $550, $350 for the acoustic and $200 for the bass. I later sold the Ovation for $500.

BTW MSRP is usually double the manufacturing cost. They made $700 off your sale instead of $800. In 20 years that bass will probably be worth about $1500. Fenders from the 50s an 60s are desirable on the vintage market. At guitar shows that cater to that type of clientele only the 50s and 60s have collector prices. Nothing from the 70s or 80s even comes close and those are 40-30 years old now.

Buy gear because you want to play it not because it may go up in value. By and large current instruments will not be valued the same way as golden era instruments.