Article where Neil talks about his R40 drum solo

43 replies to this topic

#21 Khan

Khan

In a GIFfy

• Members *
  • 15447 posts
  • Location:Actual location changes many times per hour normally.
  • Interests:Milsurp rifles

Posted 18 September 2015 - 08:19 AM

View PostClassicB, on 10 September 2015 - 02:40 PM, said:

What makes this drum solo so great is that he is playing it on a real rock drum configuration, not his "JAZZ" drum set configuration. It's too bad Neil forgot where he came from.
OMG, here we go...

Sponsored Post

#22 condemned2bfree

condemned2bfree

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1772 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 04:36 PM

This Was great.

There are many things, that can be gathered from this response.

Its satisfying to read, Mr Peart takes great care over his Art, I cant
imagine many other, more important reasons, for that spark - catalyst. That his work matters to him, still at this stage.Evident by his taking the time to respond, to those who responded!
What was amazing was the fact no one within his sphere,noticed, acknowledged or responded to his effort.
Artists like the effort of creation acknowledged at least, especially in a new direction,
even if the result is not liked.

I have to laugh that many people knock mr peart; seemingly having some insight to who he is??, for the imagined trite
approach to touring he has - fans etc. In reality M r Peart is maybe, one of the more consciencous and caring to what he does, if that can be quantified?..

What is suggested here, is others- the crew etc, possibly see touring as a formality now,
even with the consideration this may be the last, in this form. Maybe the crew couldnt get
enthusiastic about the possible end - their work could still be celebrated.
Complacent and possibly blinded by the generic routine of business, juxtaposed to Mr pearts
effort on the solo, is quite startling.

#23 TFEman

TFEman

The Seeker

• Members
  • 346 posts
  • Interests:Rush, guitar, drums, tv, food

Posted 19 September 2015 - 08:19 PM

View Postcygnify, on 11 September 2015 - 09:20 AM, said:

It would have been cool if he played the classic cowbell pattern from ESL and ATWAS - that was sort of a trademark of his solo for the first 10 years (the golden years?)  Seeing as the "El Darko" kit moved the cowbells over where they resided in that era, it would have been cool to hear that.  Also missing (again from that era) was the great timbale to concert tom riffing - on R40 he did a bit of timbale work, but nowhere near the cross over stuff he once did.  I know Neil is all about progress and moving on - but with the retro theme and the classic kit, it would have been cool to pay homage to some of those details (maybe details only drummers would notice?)
He was using that all the way up until 96. Wish he used it again.

#24 cygnify

cygnify

Superconductor

• Members *
  • 1412 posts
  • Interests:Drums, Astronomy, Family (not necessarily in that order)

Posted 19 September 2015 - 09:01 PM

View PostTFEman, on 19 September 2015 - 08:19 PM, said:

It would have been cool if he played the classic cowbell pattern from ESL and ATWAS - that was sort of a trademark of his solo for the first 10 years (the golden years?)  Seeing as the "El Darko" kit moved the cowbells over where they resided in that era, it would have been cool to hear that.  Also missing (again from that era) was the great timbale to concert tom riffing - on R40 he did a bit of timbale work, but nowhere near the cross over stuff he once did.  I know Neil is all about progress and moving on - but with the retro theme and the classic kit, it would have been cool to pay homage to some of those details (maybe details only drummers would notice?)

He was playing his cowbells in the solo in 94 & 96 - but not the same rhythm I was talking about.  I had to go back to refresh my memory - there's a great bootleg collection called "The Digital Man" which chronicles his solos for every tour.  Of course, there are minor differences in a solo over the course of a tour - but the basic sections were pretty much set.  The cowbell part I was referring to is the classic one on ATWAS and ESL, where he's riffing on the floor toms and starts with 2 higher pitched bells (dotted 8th note, 16th note), followed by two lower pitched bells (2 8ths).  It's a little melody that he created - going back through the years, this was used up to the Counterparts tour.  On Cp tour, he played a variation of the melody (2 consecutive 16ths on the high bell, 2 consecutive on the lower bell).  On the TFE tour (1996) he played a whole different creation - an ascending riff on the bells (with two upbeat accents at the end of the phase).  Anyway, didn't mean to get all technical and picky - but I agree, I wish he used it again (and he could have since the bells on "El Darko" were back on his right, just over the floor toms.)  :)

#25 TFEman

TFEman

The Seeker

• Members
  • 346 posts
  • Interests:Rush, guitar, drums, tv, food

Posted 19 September 2015 - 11:07 PM

View Postcygnify, on 19 September 2015 - 09:01 PM, said:

View PostTFEman, on 19 September 2015 - 08:19 PM, said:

He was playing his cowbells in the solo in 94 & 96 - but not the same rhythm I was talking about.  I had to go back to refresh my memory - there's a great bootleg collection called "The Digital Man" which chronicles his solos for every tour.  Of course, there are minor differences in a solo over the course of a tour - but the basic sections were pretty much set.  The cowbell part I was referring to is the classic one on ATWAS and ESL, where he's riffing on the floor toms and starts with 2 higher pitched bells (dotted 8th note, 16th note), followed by two lower pitched bells (2 8ths).  It's a little melody that he created - going back through the years, this was used up to the Counterparts tour.  On Cp tour, he played a variation of the melody (2 consecutive 16ths on the high bell, 2 consecutive on the lower bell).  On the TFE tour (1996) he played a whole different creation - an ascending riff on the bells (with two upbeat accents at the end of the phase).  Anyway, didn't mean to get all technical and picky - but I agree, I wish he used it again (and he could have since the bells on "El Darko" were back on his right, just over the floor toms.)  :)
I was wrong about 94. My bad. I should know this, given the fact that I drum in my free time and have an extenive collection of bootlegs. Also oh well, maybe if there is a next tour, he'll do it. One can only hope.

#26 MMCXII

MMCXII

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 6199 posts
  • Interests:Playing drums, creating art, building hot rods, sacred geometry and spirituality, Metal detecting, mountain biking, camping/canoeing, off roading, motorcycles.

Posted 23 September 2015 - 10:29 AM

#27 upstateNYfan

upstateNYfan

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 616 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 12:30 PM

One question: his drum tech's comment on his Twitter page in response to the article. Very curious indeed.

Edited by upstateNYfan, 23 September 2015 - 01:20 PM.

#28 ytserush

ytserush

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3902 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 07:08 PM

View PostupstateNYfan, on 23 September 2015 - 12:30 PM, said:

One question: his drum tech's comment on his Twitter page in response to the article. Very curious indeed.

Not on Twitter. What did he say?

#29 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21779 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 01 October 2015 - 07:32 PM

View Postytserush, on 01 October 2015 - 07:08 PM, said:

Yeah odd to comment on something and not say what it was.

#30 ctbadger

ctbadger

The Seeker

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 08:46 PM

His tweet: "Neil Peart breaks down his R40 Live drum solo for Classic Rock http://www.rushisaba...-Classic-Rock …... I was a little disappointed to be thrown under bus."

Ouch.

Edited by ctbadger, 01 October 2015 - 08:47 PM.

#31 Todem

Todem

Brosaucerous

• Members
  • 2223 posts
  • Interests:Playing guitar, writing,recording and performing music, coaching and playing baseball, golf, tennis, stocks, playing video games, spending as much time as I can with my wife and son.

Posted 02 October 2015 - 12:04 PM

ESL and R30 are my all time favorite solos.

ESL is just perfect, energetic and pure analog brilliance. R30 was a culmination of all the rolls, patterns, sounds etc he had incorporated since 1981. I heard a piece of everything in that solo but it was fluid, well thought out and flowed beautifully.

Edited by Todem, 02 October 2015 - 12:04 PM.

#32 ytserush

ytserush

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3902 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 01:03 PM

View Postctbadger, on 01 October 2015 - 08:46 PM, said:

His tweet: "Neil Peart breaks down his R40 Live drum solo for Classic Rock http://www.rushisaba...-Classic-Rock …... I was a little disappointed to be thrown under bus."

Ouch.

No idea what this means without a little context.

#33 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21779 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 04 October 2015 - 06:07 PM

View Postytserush, on 04 October 2015 - 01:03 PM, said:

View Postctbadger, on 01 October 2015 - 08:46 PM, said:

Ouch.

No idea what this means without a little context.

Read the Neil interview at the link on that page.  I agree though that it would have easier to understand if it had been explained a bit better.

#34 HemiBeers

HemiBeers

The Professor

• Members
  • 3784 posts
  • Interests:playfully annoying on the verge of inappropriate.

Posted 05 October 2015 - 06:57 AM

I'm sure all this drama, real and imagined, over the drum solo will really motivate him to continue touring.

#35 shail

shail

The Seeker

• Members
  • 475 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 11:19 PM

His solos and drumming in general have been in constant decline since 1991. Same solos. Great time to get a drink and pee. Boring. He's still great tho

#36 SignatureAurora

SignatureAurora

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 08:47 PM

Just thought i'd through this in here...

Alex has stated, and it has been reported, that Alex is suffering from arthritis, very painful at times, throughout his whole body. After saying that, he went on to say how sad it is that Neil has been playing for many years with tendonitis...perhaps THAT is a somewhat "hidden secret' that's contributing to their potential decision to cut back touring..

http://ultimateclass...eson-arthritis/

#37 theredtamasrule

theredtamasrule

The Elitist Booby Type

• Members
  • 8915 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 09:27 PM

Seems ol' Gump was a bit over sensitive there....Peart mentions several folks that didn't comment on his solo, not just Gump. These artist types are always the tender sort.

#38 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21779 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 01:18 PM

View Posttheredtamasrule, on 25 October 2015 - 09:27 PM, said:

Seems ol' Gump was a bit over sensitive there....Peart mentions several folks that didn't comment on his solo, not just Gump. These artist types are always the tender sort.

I understand why Neil would be upset about it. If he'd spent a lot of time on it and no one noticed? That would really suck.

#39 himey

himey

The Seeker

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 04:22 PM

the only positive from the drum solo is that it gives geds voice a rest and us time for a beer. otherwise pretty lame. I would rather have another song in its place or at least an instrumental. now the 70's and 80's yes it was good and worked well but after that not that great.

#40 TexMike

TexMike

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1292 posts
  • Interests:Music, photography, travel

Posted 26 October 2015 - 09:25 PM

If Neil's tendonitis causes him pain when he plays, I'm still surprised they didn't just ditch the drum solo.  Most fans wouldn't have minded another short song in its place and seems like would've been less stress on his arms.  Do Geddy and Alex insist on having that little break?  Did Neil feel obligated to still do one?  Or does he actually enjoy that feeling of being a rock star despite his best efforts to convince us otherwise?  ;)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users