Exit Stage Left? Inside Rush's 'Farewell' Show

sun dog

I don't know if this is true or not, but I read that Neil was talking to Jack Black after the LA show and Neil let him know that he was " done " . I interpret that as a comment about touring. Given that it was right after the show, there's 2 ways to look at it. 1.) He's at the end of his rope when it comes to touring. He's made it clear that he hates the rigors of it, and there's no turning back for him. 2.) He spoke out from the heart about how he really felt at the moment, and he meant what he said....but with the passage of time, he changes his mind. It wouldn't surprise me. I just think that at the moment, he simply doesn't want this anymore.

I don't know if this is true or not, but I read that Neil was talking to Jack Black after the LA show and Neil let him know that he was " done " . I interpret that as a comment about touring. Given that it was right after the show, there's 2 ways to look at it. 1.) He's at the end of his rope when it comes to touring. He's made it clear that he hates the rigors of it, and there's no turning back for him. 2.) He spoke out from the heart about how he really felt at the moment, and he meant what he said....but with the passage of time, he changes his mind. It wouldn't surprise me. I just think that at the moment, he simply doesn't want this anymore.

Heheheh, denial is more than just a river in Egypt. The sooner that people accept that it's option 1, and the first sentence of option 2, the sooner the healing can begin.

Edited by FOH Lights
  • Like 1

Rush as a world touring band are done. It's over at that magnitude like they had said when they announced the tour dates for R40.

I am at peace with that. The show was glorious and the greatest two Rush shows I have ever seen in going to see them live over the past 32 years of my life. They have given me everything I could ever want live.

If they ever play again it will be a week at Radio City Music Hall or something of the like. Touring over multiple cities and months is over. Neil is done with it.

Will they ever make another record? Absolutely. I think they will create another record and Neil still loves the writing and recording aspect. But touring the world is done.

Edited by Todem

Heheheh, denial is more than just a river in Egypt. The sooner that people accept that it's option 1, and the first sentence of option 2, the sooner the healing can begin.

I agree with this. I only hope for new music.

Hey FOH, did you get one of the watches the guys gave out at the end of the tour?

Edited by Mr. JD

Hey FOH, did you get one of the watches the guys gave out at the end of the tour?

HAH, no! I'm not in the organization.

HAH, no! I'm not in the organization.

To bad. They sounded pretty nice.

Ok, I think I've figured it out! The most likely place for this to possibly happen is the Hollywood Bowl! It is a big enough venue for good ticket sales. It's a low key, kind of built in stage. Not much fluff required to make for a good rock show. I can picture a sort of R40 second set vibe. It can easily be booked for multiple nights. And, it's local for Neil! They could do everything right there in LA, he would never have to leave home!!!

Ok, I think I've figured it out! The most likely place for this to possibly happen is the Hollywood Bowl! It is a big enough venue for good ticket sales. It's a low key, kind of built in stage. Not much fluff required to make for a good rock show. I can picture a sort of R40 second set vibe. It can easily be booked for multiple nights. And, it's local for Neil! They could do everything right there in LA, he would never have to leave home!!!

A one off show would happen in a Football Stadium. I remember Geddy saying "that's the way I like it to end!" When the Who did their show in the 80's. Off course we all know that didn't happen. The Who's last tour was great though! Anyway, I'm happy for sharing 30 years of my life with them. I got to see them many times beginning with the Signals Tour and I can say they were the Soundtrack to my life along with every song written by John Williams. I guess what I'm saying is they've more then earned their retirement and I wish them and their families well. They will always be the best band in the world to me and I will always support them in what they decided to do. Its been a great ride! I still have hope for an R50 Show!

Edited by losingit2k

FWIW, while touring is expensive. No one is suggesting that they'll tour again. A few shows can be done cheaply, and ticket prices can be set to cover the cost of any given show. The only real barriers are their physical health and time. It would take time to prepare them for a performance. That's a given. As far as albums losing money--you seem to forget that Rush fans are MOSTLY diehards that will buy just about any album the band puts out, even if they'll then trash it once they hear the whole thing. If Rush wants to invest the time and money to put another album out, they'll have no problem doing it, especially if their label is backing them. Did CA lose a ton of money for the label? I haven't looked at the stats, but I wouldn't be surprised if it made some money, even if only a little.

IT'S NOT ABOUT THE EXPENSE OF TOURING!!! This band is NOT some cruddy band that can go out and do 5-10 shows here and there and call it quits! Their music is HARD TO PLAY for guys that are in their 60's! They need to warm up, rehearse, etc.

Not sure why a lot of you think it's an expense thing.

Edited by Jaminbenb
  • Like 1

Hey Thunder Bay - I think I was having a senior moment! Of course Gary McCracken. My mistake. I attended many of those Max Webster shows back in the day, so that shows my age. Awesome drummer regardless - one of my favorites from one of my favorite bands. And yes the way I read it he had the job, then decided no. That was the first I had ever heard that story, even after countless accounts of how Neil joined the band.

I could be wrong about this, but I think it was Paul Kersey, Max Webster's first drummer, who was asked. McCracken joined Max after the first album.

I don't think you're wrong, this was talked about in the Martin Popoff book Live Magnetic Air: The Unlikely Saga of the Spuperlative Max Webster, Alex and Ged tried to poach Kersey from MW before NP auditioned.

FWIW, while touring is expensive. No one is suggesting that they'll tour again. A few shows can be done cheaply, and ticket prices can be set to cover the cost of any given show. The only real barriers are their physical health and time. It would take time to prepare them for a performance. That's a given. As far as albums losing money--you seem to forget that Rush fans are MOSTLY diehards that will buy just about any album the band puts out, even if they'll then trash it once they hear the whole thing. If Rush wants to invest the time and money to put another album out, they'll have no problem doing it, especially if their label is backing them. Did CA lose a ton of money for the label? I haven't looked at the stats, but I wouldn't be surprised if it made some money, even if only a little.

IT'S NOT ABOUT THE EXPENSE OF TOURING!!! This band is NOT some cruddy band that can go out and do 5-10 shows here and there and call it quits! Their music is HARD TO PLAY for guys that are in their 60's! They need to warm up, rehearse, etc.

Because the money always matters. No one's working for peanuts. It's a business.

• Like 1

Because the money always matters. No one's working for peanuts. It's a business.

Granted...but that's not the problem in this case! The comments made by the band were "we won't be touring on this level anymore"

As I said in another post, these guys just can't pick up and go play two shows here, two shows there...take a few months off...then go play an "awards" or a talk show or some sports halftime at the drop of a hat! This music is tough to play, it's grueling to play it, and the next day they're sore! (hence the every other day schedule when they are touring)

It's not a concert, its an event...it's choreographed, it takes time and effort to rehearse everyone prior to the tour. Zappa's bands were the same way back when he was touring! On the 1988 tour when they had the conflict with the bass player vs. the rest of the band, he couldn't just go get someone and say "I need you to fill in for the next 30 shows" there was too much tough material to learn!

Rush takes every other day off, and they take week breaks during the tour. It's grueling to play this stuff at their age, and they don't want to stick a back up band out there and go through the motions! They have an extensive catalog, and they try to put out a different show every tour...sure they can pick 10-15 of the same songs and play them over and over like most of the older bands do these days...hell I got tired of going to stuff like Jimmy Buffett because he plays the same 15-20 songs, and mixes up one or two every tour! It's cheaper to stay home , get drunk and listen to one of his live albums if I want to get into that kind of mood!

If Rush does another tour, it won't be on the level they have been putting out, (their words) they won't be two and a half three hour shows, you MIGHT even see them with an opening act. (my opinion)

I'd actually be VERY surprised if they ever did do another tour (other than a second leg to this one..which I'm still holding out for..only because of the reason that everyone IS rehearsed, the set list IS set, so why waste the "production" on one 30 date tour if it was a money issue!? The money has been spent, time for profit!)

Edited by Jaminbenb
  • Like 1

Granted...but that's not the problem in this case! The comments made by the band were "we won't be touring on this level anymore"

As I said in another post, these guys just can't pick up and go play two shows here, two shows there...take a few months off...then go play an "awards" or a talk show or some sports halftime at the drop of a hat! This music is tough to play, it's grueling to play it, and the next day they're sore! (hence the every other day schedule when they are touring)

It's not a concert, its an event...it's choreographed, it takes time and effort to rehearse everyone prior to the tour. Zappa's bands were the same way back when he was touring! On the 1988 tour when they had the conflict with the bass player vs. the rest of the band, he couldn't just go get someone and say "I need you to fill in for the next 30 shows" there was too much tough material to learn!

Rush takes every other day off, and they take week breaks during the tour. It's grueling to play this stuff at their age, and they don't want to stick a back up band out there and go through the motions! They have an extensive catalog, and they try to put out a different show every tour...sure they can pick 10-15 of the same songs and play them over and over like most of the older bands do these days...hell I got tired of going to stuff like Jimmy Buffett because he plays the same 15-20 songs, and mixes up one or two every tour! It's cheaper to stay home , get drunk and listen to one of his live albums if I want to get into that kind of mood!

If Rush does another tour, it won't be on the level they have been putting out, (their words) they won't be two and a half three hour shows, you MIGHT even see them with an opening act. (my opinion)

I'd actually be VERY surprised if they ever did do another tour (other than a second leg to this one..which I'm still holding out for..only because of the reason that everyone IS rehearsed, the set list IS set, so why waste the "production" on one 30 date tour if it was a money issue!? The money has been spent, time for profit!)

I think your pretty spot on in your thoughts on this. I truly hope they trot out a second leg of this set-list. That is my last hope to catch them at this magnitude one last time. But like I had said in my previous post on the subject, I think it's over for the most part.

Hope I am wrong of course. But I am at peace with all of it. What an amazing tour. Truly incredible and the best set-list/show/production I have ever seen from them personally. In fact the last two tours (CA both legs) were such an amazing experience. I got everything I could have wanted live from them over the course of seeing them over the last 30 plus years.

I think your pretty spot on in your thoughts on this. I truly hope they trot out a second leg of this set-list. That is my last hope to catch them at this magnitude one last time. But like I had said in my previous post on the subject, I think it's over for the most part.

Hope I am wrong of course. But I am at peace with all of it. What an amazing tour. Truly incredible and the best set-list/show/production I have ever seen from them personally. In fact the last two tours (CA both legs) were such an amazing experience. I got everything I could have wanted live from them over the course of seeing them over the last 30 plus years.

Well reading between the lines of all of these interviews shows me that these guys aren't getting younger, and the fact that this isn't easy music HAS to be taking a toll on their ability to pound out a three hour show with the force and energy that they've been accustomed to bringing....the "this costs money" argument would make sense if they were coming out with another set of dates. Because the "expense of putting on a tour" was already laid out, and all they need to do now is keep going, hell, they were warmed up so.... But I think this is a toll on their abilities, and they're at peace with it so....be glad they are stopping when they are on top, and not out putting something pathetic on just to keep going. The band's name escapes me, but a friend of mine recently saw someone's show, and said that it was bad, and that they should give it up...well jeez...I just saw Yes and I think they should give it up...it's pretty bad if you ask me!

I think a second leg would be wonderful. I just wish most (all?) signs didn't point to the opposite. In fact, I don't think I have seen or can think of one sign that suggests we'll get more.

Nope...as little as it was, I think Neil's little foray to the front of the stage at the last show was an indication..... he doesn't usually DO that....

FUKK that! Massey Hall!!! ..if Neil still remembers how to get there lol. Rush shows are always special in T.O.!!

It was a hell of a run. If that was the last I'm glad I got to witness it one last time! Nothing but mad respect for this band! They were truly the soundtrack of my life! Hey, someone hit the "repeat" button because that was a lot of f#cking fun!!!!!
  • Like 2

It was a hell of a run. If that was the last I'm glad I got to witness it one last time! Nothing but mad respect for this band! They were truly the soundtrack of my life! Hey, someone hit the "repeat" button because that was a lot of f#cking fun!!!!!

Actually, your life`s soundtrack is being digitized and re-mastered to Blu-Ray/DVD/8Track in 5.7 google-surround-mega-sound.

It`ll be $49.99 for the re-issue.

Brick free will $129.00

:P

• Like 1

Actually, your life`s soundtrack is being digitized and re-mastered to Blu-Ray/DVD/8Track in 5.7 google-surround-mega-sound.

It`ll be $49.99 for the re-issue.

Brick free will $129.00

:P

I'll take Brick free for $129 Alex!!!

I think it's probably over. I've been dealing with that reality as a reality, even though it's not official. No, it certainly isn't easy, especially now that my oldest son (age 6) has decided that Rush is his favorite band now and wants to listen to it in the car every day coming home from school.

But I also thought way back in the summer of 1992, after I saw them for the first time at age 15, that "well, I got to see them once. These guys have 15 albums out now.... I hope that wasn't the last one!". And then there was the long hiatus period, after which I moved overseas and kind of gave up on the idea of seeing them again.

So yeah, I feel like I've been playing with house money for 20 years.

• Like 2

I think it's probably over. I've been dealing with that reality as a reality, even though it's not official. No, it certainly isn't easy, especially now that my oldest son (age 6) has decided that Rush is his favorite band now and wants to listen to it in the car every day coming home from school.

But I also thought way back in the summer of 1992, after I saw them for the first time at age 15, that "well, I got to see them once. These guys have 15 albums out now.... I hope that wasn't the last one!". And then there was the long hiatus period, after which I moved overseas and kind of gave up on the idea of seeing them again.

So yeah, I feel like I've been playing with house money for 20 years.

How cool that you can share that with your son! My daughter likes to listen to Rush in the car with me also, but she is 23! :D