Good article explaining why women should be allowed to play five sets in the majors.

Aikenrooster

I think they should just shorten the mens to 3 instead of increasing the ladies

The matches seem so very long as it is

No that would devalue every tennis player from that moment onwards and you'd end up with a substandard product which would be tennis-lite.

• Like 1

Quite frankly, there are few WTA players that I enjoy watching 2 out of 3 sets let alone 3 out of 5. If by some miracle the final this year ends up being Pennetta vs Vinci instead of the predicted Serena Williams vs Halep, you'll see an all-time low for number of viewers. Then imagine if it were 3 out of 5.

Look at the ATP Masters series, i.e. the next big events following the slams, which are 2 out of 3. Who were the winners there? Essentially the same guys who win the slams. Djoker won every Masters tourney this year except for 3. Those were won by Murray & Federer. And who were the finalists? Djokovic, Murray, Federer, Nadal, and Berdych. My point is is that the best will still be the best. They always elevate. 2 out of 3 instead of 3 out of 5 is just a shorter win for Serena.

They can analyze the hell out of 3 out of 5 matches for Serena but the thing is, who knows what would've happened to her career if so. Maybe the longer 3 out of 5 matches would've ground her body into mush. Maybe years of longer 3 out of 5 matches would've made her retire.

• Like 1

Quite frankly, there are few WTA players that I enjoy watching 2 out of 3 sets let alone 3 out of 5. If by some miracle the final this year ends up being Pennetta vs Vinci instead of the predicted Serena Williams vs Halep, you'll see an all-time low for number of viewers. Then imagine if it were 3 out of 5.

Holy crap, the miracle happened. An all Italian final. The casual tennis fan will not know these two veteran players so even with playing just 2 out of 3 sets viewer numbers will be drastically lower than the typical final between two top 10ers.

• Like 1

Holy crap, the miracle happened. An all Italian final. The casual tennis fan will not know these two veteran players so even with playing just 2 out of 3 sets viewer numbers will be drastically lower than the typical final between two top 10ers.

Good Serena didn't need to Calendar slam.

Good Serena didn't need to Calendar slam.

I'm fine with it too. I sometimes comment on the ESPN tennis website and I have to say that half of her fans are some of the most obnoxious, tennis ignorant people I've heard from. It's too bad too because she produces some of the most exciting tennis around, in the ATP or WTA.

Vini, vidi...Vinci!

http://cdn1.img.rsport.ru/images/69856/21/698562103.jpg

Amazing win...but a bit of a shame.

Edited by goose

No one would watch 5 set matches between unknown eastern European women, which makes up at least 60% of the top 100 of the WTA...

I find the women's game far more entertaining than the men's.

No one would watch 5 set matches between unknown eastern European women, which makes up at least 60% of the top 100 of the WTA...

You probably just like looking at the chicks, but there's hotter women out there than WTA tennis players.

That's just Sharapova bending over and prepping for returning serves and grunting with shots.

Vini, vidi...Vinci!

http://cdn1.img.rsport.ru/images/69856/21/698562103.jpg

Amazing win...but a bit of a shame.

No shame in my mind. It's a great story. And the biggest upset in Serena's career (and WTA tennis for that matter) at that stage of a slam.

Is the US the only country that televises tennis?

Here in Japan, the ATP Masters tournaments are almost never nationally televised. The only way they're televised is if it's a semi or final OR if it's Nishikori in the semi or final...but even then it's less than a 10% chance. There wasn't a single Masters tourney that I saw televised last year. The only matches that I KNOW will be televised are the slam finals. The women's slam finals PROBABLY will be televised. But only "probably". However, if some 100-something ranked Japanese player makes it to the 3rd or 4th round of Wimbledon there's a 25% chance of showing that; it increases to 75% if it was pre-recorded and the J-player won the match. See what I'm hinting? They'll stick with their typical, boring programming of cooking shows or variety shows before showing a slam final live...[they'll show it past midnight].

The percentages are just my guesses BUT they're accurate. (You'll just have to believe me or not).

Here in Japan, the ATP Masters tournaments are almost never nationally televised. The only way they're televised is if it's a semi or final OR if it's Nishikori in the semi or final...but even then it's less than a 10% chance. There wasn't a single Masters tourney that I saw televised last year. The only matches that I KNOW will be televised are the slam finals. The women's slam finals PROBABLY will be televised. But only "probably". However, if some 100-something ranked Japanese player makes it to the 3rd or 4th round of Wimbledon there's a 25% chance of showing that; it increases to 75% if it was pre-recorded and the J-player won the match. See what I'm hinting? They'll stick with their typical, boring programming of cooking shows or variety shows before showing a slam final live...[they'll show it past midnight].

The percentages are just my guesses BUT they're accurate. (You'll just have to believe me or not).

So the Europeans won't watch unless an American is in the finals?