Fear the Walking Dead

JohnRogers

Yeah what is up with the hiatus already?

I'm guessing because it's Labor Day weekend.

If the show is good enough YOU air it anyways....ie- New Ray Donovan tomorrow

• Like 1

At least one of them should make it to Atlanta.

I don't know, LA to Atlanta is a long haul under regular circumstances. Forget about doing it in a post apocalyptic world.

Your guess is they never make it to the dessert and get stuck in LA zombie traffic?

At least one of them should make it to Atlanta.

I don't know, LA to Atlanta is a long haul under regular circumstances. Forget about doing it in a post apocalyptic world.

Your guess is they never make it to the dessert and get stuck in LA zombie traffic?

That's more than likely what will happen.

I don't understand zombie metabolism.

Neither do I. They're dead so the digestive system isn't working. So, if they're eating all the time, eventually they would just explode you would think. We need to see more fat zombies whose stomachs are about to blow walking around on this show.

Neither do I. They're dead so the digestive system isn't working. So, if they're eating all the time, eventually they would just explode you would think. We need to see more fat zombies whose stomachs are about to blow walking around on this show.

In the books I mentioned in my last post, exploded stomach zombies abound BECAUSE there's no working digestive system.

• Like 1

In the books I mentioned in my last post, exploded stomach zombies abound BECAUSE there's no working digestive system.

I'm glad that this has been brought up somewhere. It's really is an issue that should be addressed in TV shows/movies but doesn't seem to ever happen. Maybe that's why we see zombies with only half a body crawling around?

I'm glad that this has been brought up somewhere. It's really is an issue that should be addressed in TV shows/movies but doesn't seem to ever happen. Maybe that's why we see zombies with only half a body crawling around?

The World War Z movie wasn't very good and veered away from the book big time. I dislike Brad Pitt but it wasn't his fault. If you're into zombies, you should read those books: 1st, that zombie survival book THEN World War Z. Any question you may have about zombies is almost definitely covered in those books, sometimes seriously sometimes humorously.

Eh...the characters have been incredibly annoying (Jesus, can we kill these f***ing teenagers already???), doing stupid things and not communicating with each other just for the sake of dramatic tension. Dumb.

The real problem this show has is that we all know what's about to happen and no matter how much I know that the they don't know still doesn't help with the insipid characters and bland acting.

Plus, how many people die in LA each day? A hundred?? Have no clue but in a city like that large numbers of folks are dying every day. Wouldn't take long for a helluva lot of zombies to start tearing shit up. Kirkman should stick to comics.

Where do they get their energy from?

I guess if they were supernatural any answer would do (. . . Satan . . . ?). Since they're "disease monsters" it's harder to answer. I guess vampires and werewolves can be explained as disease monsters, too, though. Vampires I guess get their energy from blood and their body gets rid of the waste (at least according to a Stephen King story I read).

Sigh. I just love killing time in this way.

• Like 1

Zombies don't really have energy though.

One theory about how zombies come to be is that after death something activates the part of the brain that is responsible for basic survival. If this is the case, all a zombie would know how to do is walk around and look for food. That's why they're so aggressive when they encounter living flesh. All their brain knows is that they have to eat to stay alive. Even though that's not exactly true. They can live as long as the brain isn't destroyed but the zombie itself doesn't realize that. They don't have energy, their brain just doesn't function enough to know that they need to rest once in a while. So, they just keep walking around looking for food until the brain is destroyed.

Edited by J2112YYZ

One theory about how zombies come to be is that after death something activates the part of the brain that is responsible for basic survival. If this is the case, all a zombie would know how to do is walk around and look for food. That's why they're so aggressive when they encounter living flesh. All their brain knows is that they have to eat to stay alive. Even though that's not exactly true. They can live as long as the brain isn't destroyed but the zombie itself doesn't realize that. They don't have energy, their brain just doesn't function enough to know that they need to rest once in a while. So, they just keep walking around looking for food until the brain is destroyed.

They have to get their energy from somewhere or they can't move.

If I lived in the Walking Dead world, I'd trap a bunch of zombies in a big hole, remove their bottom jaw and arms, take them to Coronado Island and hook them up to a giant treadmill where I would have them generate unlimited electricity. Walkers can't swim so I would destroy the bridge and then I wouldn't have to worry about any attacking. I could defend my island from unwanted humans with all of the weapons from the naval base there.

They can still move because the part of the brain responsible for simple muscle movement is still active. Zombies have the very basics of brain function. So, the brain is still able to send enough signals to the muscles to tell them to move and look for food and that's pretty much it. Unless we're talking about zombies in Voodoo, in which case there is some kind of paranormal energy that causes them to rise. But in the walking dead, the zombies brain functions on the very basics of survival and that's what drives them.

Of course, this is just one of many theories of what creates a zombie and how it functions. No one is really right or wrong since there aren't many real facts to go on. We can discuss for days all the zombie theories out there. Which would probably end up being more interesting than the show.

They can still move because the part of the brain responsible for simple muscle movement is still active. Zombies have the very basics of brain function. So, the brain is still able to send enough signals to the muscles to tell them to move and look for food and that's pretty much it. Unless we're talking about zombies in Voodoo, in which case there is some kind of paranormal energy that causes them to rise. But in the walking dead, the zombies brain functions on the very basics of survival and that's what drives them.

Of course, this is just one of many theories of what creates a zombie and how it functions. No one is really right or wrong since there aren't many real facts to go on. We can discuss for days all the zombie theories out there. Which would probably end up being more interesting than the show.

Everything that moves requires energy to move it. Muscles work by metabolizing carbohydrates into energy. If there's no metabolism then there's no energy to make the muscles move. It doesn't matter what the brain's doing if there's no metabolism taking place in the muscles. It would be impossible for muscles to make the body move if there's no metabolism taking place in them and no energy consumption. The zombie would just lay there motionless with the brain sending signals to the body, but the body would not be able to move.

So I guess what I'm saying is that the walkers portrayed in the Walking Dead are not physically possible. If they explained this problem somehow as the body still functioning with the digestive system providing nutrients from eating people to a circulatory system that could deliver that energy source to the muscles, etc. but then they wouldn't be the walking "dead" would they.

I guess zombies are just make-believe. :)

Perhaps they could have nuclear zombies that run on ionizing radiation from an exposure to something radioactive.

I was hoping that this spin-off was going to show the POV of the government and how the plague started. It would be nice to know why everyone on earth is carrying the walking dead "virus" (or whatever it is) which turns them into a zombie after they die. Was it some kind of a weaponized pathogen created by the military or perhaps a cure for something else created by the CDC? I think it would have been more interesting to show this from the perspective of those in the know rather than another show about clueless innocent people surviving a zombie apocalypse that they had nothing to do with. It's just more of the same IMO.

I'm still enjoying it. Really sick of the "...if something doesn't happen soon" complaints from the ADHD crowd. No offense, I just disagree. Like this quite well.

I agree!

It is set in a realistic world where any concept of zombies is alien, even in comics. And the initial confusion, slow build up, and angst ridden family drama smacks of realism. The very reasons I cannot stand certain characters are the very same reasons why I find them believable.

I don't really like the parent show all that much, I find it very repetitive and far too slow, but watching the gradual decline of humanity is interesting (but not at all comfortable viewing).

We know what is around the corner, we all know the characters hopes are in vain, and we know how unlikely any will survive. But it is the fascinating, slow burning down turn that intrigues me.

I give the show an 8/10. I found the fourth episode quite boring, but at the same time I did like the way it paused from the action and gave us time to take in the small town horror and real man anguish that such a nightmare scenario would throw up.

• Like 1

I loved the first 3 episodes--last nights episode was boring but I can see that it is leading, so I am hanging in and hoping the last two episodes of the season will be killer.

Why must the military always be portrayed as sneeky at best, and evil at worst.

This I agree with. Biggest flaw so far, feels more like a snide political bent than a realistic portrayal of mankind's only hope. Watching the soldiers was like watching a bunch of faceless nobodies, when in reality they would have to be brave, loyal, committed and dedicated to save the lives of not only strangers, but their loved ones: wives, husbands, children, parents, grandparents, friends. Instead, they were shown to be pirates and bandits in the making.

After all the horror they have witnessed, you would think they would have a lot more fear and terror going on within their hearts.

Major flaw, for me. It seems like they portrayed the military like this in order to make the fall of mankind that much easier to resolve in a short space of time.

And also, another thing: the entire city has been decimated in nine days? Like...not a single walker in the streets, not a single geek at the fences? It was that easy to kill of not only every man, woman and child AND zombie within the boundary line, and yet still we are meant to believe not enough was done to save human civilisation?

It might pick up, but the empty streets were pretty dumb if you ask me. Maybe this will be better explained next time, maybe we only saw an area of the city barricaded from the outside world, protecting the human refugees in yet another safe hold, but all the same it was really, really unbelievable just how "dead" the streets were.

Edited by Segue Myles