Rush Women

hcm

What is it about Rush that draws you to them?

If you are a long time fan what keeps you interested?

How do they compare to other bands/acts that you are a fan of?

Just curious, I know why I love them and wondering if other women feel the same way or if I'm more different than I know.

and you men, why are you still surprised to see women as Rush fans...well the ones I saw at concert seemed surprised a women enjoys Rush.

Being a guy and an old one at that it still surprises me that ladies like Rush. I guess it's just stuck in my head somehow from the 70's and knowing very few if anyone who liked them at all even males and most certainly females. It has been refreshing to see so many ladies that like them in my older years to be honest. On Facebook there are lots of them too. Very cool to witness no doubt... :codger: :heart:
  • Like 1

I'm never surprised to see women at RUSH shows....in fact I love to see them there. Most though are with their SO, I HARDLY ever see women going to RUSH shows as a group of women only like men sometimes do.

I had one of my most memorable RUSH experiences at a show with a woman I didn't know. It was Capital Centre MD....Hold Your Fire Tour..... They played Red Sector A, I yelled out that's my favorite RUSH song the girl above, behind and between me and my friend yelled the same. She gave me a look like she didn't believe me so we started to sing the lyrics almost face to face. Like as if we were battling in a rap song to the very end. We gave each other high fives and a hug.....we eyed each other the rest of the show. One of the BEST times I've had of the 50 RUSH shows I've seen.

Peace

Edited by g under p
  • Like 1

Narps why do think women wouldn't like them?

Just the style of music and Ged's voice mostly I suppose. She is not into complex music i.e Rush, Yes. For example my wife (of 34 years) never really "liked" them but has put up with them over the years because she knows how much I do. Same with golf. When we were first married in 81' we saw Journey 3 times together during those early years. That radio friendly style and Steve Perry's voice is more her speed. Of all "my bands" from back in the day the only ones she seemed to enjoy really were Journey and Pat Travers Band of all bands. Today she listens to the popular music of today which is about as silly, stupid and simplistic as it gets. I can't stand it...
  • Like 1

Ha Ged's voice is one of the first things that attracted me to their sound, he sings with such emotion, the pitch is countered nicely by the music, and the unusual time signatures love them, I'm not really a musician I just know what I like, and there was something about Rush that really grabbed me. I've liked them through all their phases too. There is something from every decade that I get excited about, I'm just sad I didn't get a chance to see them live sooner than I did.
  • Like 3

Ha Ged's voice is one of the first things that attracted me to their sound, he sings with such emotion, the pitch is countered nicely by the music, and the unusual time signatures love them, I'm not really a musician I just know what I like, and there was something about Rush that really grabbed me. I've liked them through all their phases too. There is something from every decade that I get excited about, I'm just sad I didn't get a chance to see them live sooner than I did.

I went from 86' - 02' without seeing them and didn't really care at the time. I had seen them 7 times before and up to 86' and now 3 times since. I am very much at peace with that... :)

The very same here.....it was Geddys voice that attracted me to the band. The first time I heard RUSH in the mid 70's I had to ask, "what was that, who was that, that guy's voice is funky?" I also wished I was able to see them at least from the Permanent Waves album. They were ALWAYS touring in our area of Maryland and Vaginia. I only FINALLY stepped up to see them in 1984 for the GUP Tour of which I made up for by seeing them multiple times on each tour since.

The very same here.....it was Geddys voice that attracted me to the band. The first time I heard RUSH in the mid 70's I had to ask, "what was that, who was that, that guy's voice is funky?" I also wished I was able to see them at least from the Permanent Waves album. They were ALWAYS touring in our area of Maryland and Vaginia. I only FINALLY stepped up to see them in 1984 for the GUP Tour of which I made up for by seeing them multiple times on each tour since.

Excuse me, but where were they always touring? :LOL:
  • Like 3

HUH, what you talking about?

That place you listed, right after Maryland.
  • Like 2

I just noticed it myself... :rfl:

I became a fan in 1975 but didn't get out to see them live until 2004, for various reasons, I also did multiple shows and glad I have.

Wow. That is a long time to wait. Glad you got to see them though at long last... :cheers:

I just noticed it myself... :rfl:

I noticed it right away, but I thought he had typed it that way intentionally. Not terribly funny to me either way; sorry.

Oh shit, I'm well I don't know what to say I screwed up. It must be the new BRADY decision that he gets Zero Games suspension.

Narps I was 10 when I first heard them, my family weren't into concerts, no money..etc....I think I got to see some good stuff when I finally did get to see them, just man the cost about kills me. I sometimes wonder if I would have been the only women there if I had managed to go to a live show back in the day?

Hand pats g under p, that Brady...man,it will be ok. I thought seriously he misspells Virginia on a thread about Women...but it still made me chuckle.

I've come to this point in my life where I'm seeing a problem I've had for some time. My brain is moving faster than I can type. I think I told Narps some time ago I make those kind of simple mistakes ALL THE TIME. I usually will re read them but my brain STILL will think what it's supposed to say Virginia but it's saying something else. In another thread I gave the date 1894 when I meant to say 1984 re read it thinking all was good but you very bright folks pointed out my futility.There's a name for this problem just don't know what it's called as yet.

Peace

Just curious, I know why I love them and wondering if other women feel the same way or if I'm more different than I know.

and you men, why are you still surprised to see women as Rush fans...well the ones I saw at concert seemed surprised a women enjoys Rush.

I'm not sure if I can pinpoint what exactly keeps me interested in the band. I love the music, obviously, but I'm not sure what about the music does it for me--the complexity, rhythms, melodies, vocals I guess. I don't like all of their stuff and I can more easily tell you what I DON'T like about the band :D One thing that keeps me as such a loyal fan is the band as people. They seem like great, intelligent, down-to-earth guys, and I love that they are dedicated to their spouses and families. And it really means a lot that they didn't get caught up in all sorts of "rock star drama" like changing band members, arguments, drug issues, trashing hotel rooms, etc. But I also like that they are regular people and do sometimes drink or whatever, and are not straight-laced, holier than thou people either.

How do they compare to other bands I like? Well, I do like many other bands who are at least as good as Rush, musician-wise, but they still can't compare. I suppose Rush has that certain undefinable something that simply works for them.

• Like 2

I'm not sure if I can pinpoint what exactly keeps me interested in the band. I love the music, obviously, but I'm not sure what about the music does it for me--the complexity, rhythms, melodies, vocals I guess. I don't like all of their stuff and I can more easily tell you what I DON'T like about the band :D One thing that keeps me as such a loyal fan is the band as people. They seem like great, intelligent, down-to-earth guys, and I love that they are dedicated to their spouses and families. And it really means a lot that they didn't get caught up in all sorts of "rock star drama" like changing band members, arguments, drug issues, trashing hotel rooms, etc. But I also like that they are regular people and do sometimes drink or whatever, and are not straight-laced, holier than thou people either.

How do they compare to other bands I like? Well, I do like many other bands who are at least as good as Rush, musician-wise, but they still can't compare. I suppose Rush has that certain undefinable something that simply works for them.

I agree with everything you said there....they are so different from other major rock bands for 40+ years now. No major controversies....just when they may ACTUALLY retire and start paint or take up photography. I think it can be summed up in that photo in that RUSH Photos Through The Camera Eye thread where the guys in the early days sitting with the Runaways... Jett, Ford, and Currie And a fan here says something like....when are these guys going to start hitting on us. No one would say that about a band such as KISS, they didn't need any prompting in those days.

Little Things like that set them far apart from other bands for me.

Edited by g under p
  • Like 2

"Vaginia" Freudian slip too funny.

lol

I was just about to quote that one

classic

Actually, I believe that the "Tour Of The Vaginas" occurred somewhere between the Tour Of The Hemispheres and Permanent Waves

• Like 1