Was R40 their best their best tour?

DirkPrattLerxst

Was R40 Their Best Tour?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Was R40 their best tour?

• Yes
    • No

For me, definitely. They literally did a tour solely for the fans. Xanadu. Hemispheres Prelude. Jacob's Ladder. Cygnus X-1. The encore. Who would've though they could top the CA Tour? And who would've thought Geddy could sing those songs at the age of 62?
  • Like 5

For me, definitely. They literally did a tour solely for the fans...

Not trying to pick a fight but who were the other tours for? One could argue this tour certainly left Snyth Era fans wanting and the Synth Era was not some brief period.

• Like 3

Not trying to pick a fight but who were the other tours for? One could argue this tour certainly left Snyth Era fans wanting and the Synth Era was not some brief period.

I think Losing It more than made up for that.

I'm saying they played songs that a lot of fans wanted such as Jacob's Ladder and Losing It.

I'm saying they played songs that a lot of fans wanted such as Jacob's Ladder and Losing It.

They sure did and that second set was pretty damn special.

I haven't seen boots of every tour and I didn't actually see the band live before 1986.

But of the tours I'm familiar with......

Abso-freaking-lutely! That second half was probably the best set of music I've seen by ANY band ever.

• Like 2

I would've liked some more synth stuff, but the CA tour was the treat for the synth crowd.

Started seeing them in 1991, got up to 25 shows in that short time, and this was my favorite. I thought Time Machine couldn't be topped, but they did it with R40.

Them pulling out Tom Sawyer really made it special!
  • Like 6

... and the Synth Era was not some brief period.

UNFORTUNATELY!!

Sorry JR ;)

R40 Best tour since MP.

Part of what makes the synth era far worse than it actually was is that Rush quickly started trying to hide from their 70s hard rock n prog days. MP had a great setlist, at that point it was difficult for them to hide from the 70s

...but by the time Signals tour hit, their set changed drastically and no longer fairly represented the prog n hard rock 70s. Not until 2015 did Rush pay fair respect to their seminal era.

The other thing that made the synth era worse than it actually was (there were many strong synth songs and Lifesons solos then were incredible)....

...is that it took so long for Rush to recover from the synthie era. They developed swimmies...they wanted to rock out on CP and Presto, yet were stuck in the "this is where we think the future of rock sound is headed" mentality. Out there is a clever TRFer who needs to take a bow for the post synthie swimmie metaphor!

Edited by Gabrielgil513

Of the 50 that I've seen that second half of R40 was surely the most power packed set I've heard. I would've loved to have seen the Hemispheres, PoW, MP, and Signals tours which to the tour I actually saw for the first time....Grace Under Pressure. Before Hemi I was too young to appreciate and into so many other music back the.

For R40 playing Animate, Natural Science, Jacobs Ladder, Xanadu, Lakeside Park, Anthem, What You're Doing....it doesn't get ANY better than hearing those songs again. The very first RUSH show I got overwhelmed with emotion I couldn't drive the 5 hours back home. R40 topped them all except the first GUP......Hmmmmmm from first to last.....

Peace

• Like 2

I voted "yes", but I only enjoyed the first half of the show. The second half was pretty stupid. Who wants to hear a bunch of old crap that's been around for 35 years???? sheesh!

o.k. o.k. I'm obviously kidding. I just wanted to tick off some of the obdurate members of this forum who don't like anything post 1978.

Seriously, I still vote "yes", because this tour showed me that Rush really do listen to their fans. I'm not really a huge fan of "Losing It", but obviously many people are. Had people not voiced their opinion on the different online communities, I'm not sure they would have ever included this song in some of the shows.

Now, if only they would have played "Bastille Day" instead of "Lakeside Park"......

Clem

• Like 2

I agree. When they did Xanadu all the way through with Geddy on the double-neck, it was literally the fulfillment of a childhood dream. If I could replay that eight minutes again, I would.

• Like 1

I agree. When they did Xanadu all the way through with Geddy on the double-neck, it was literally the fulfillment of a childhood dream. If I could replay that eight minutes again, I would.

I wish that I could live it all again!

• Like 1

I would say it was the best show in the last 30 years or so as far as the light show, animations and the set list. But the original Hemispheres - MP's tours still win because of the energy and Geddy's voice.
  • Like 2