I'm I the only one who likes Countdown AND Dog Years?

Rushman2112

Countdown and/or Dog Years  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Make your choice

• I like both Countdown and Dog Years
    • I like Countdown, but not Dog Years
    • I don't like Countdown, but I do like Dog Years
    • I don't like either Countdown or Dog Years

It seems like I'm the only one. :(

I've always thought that Countdown was best live with the big screen shot of the space shuttle. How cool is it that my favorite band celebrated a scientific and technological achievement by writing a song about it? How many bands would write a song dedicated to the space program? Every time I hear that song, I can feel my pulse quickening and imagine what it must have been like to see a space shuttle launch. I think that the song captures the emotion of the experience, and succeeds in what it sets out to do. People sometimes complain that the lyrics are too cliche, but I think they're fine. I always loved it back in the day when the video was on MTV. Signals was also my first Rush concert so that is a special memory for me.

Dog Years is such a fun and yet at the same time Sirius (see what I did there) song. Very few artists can combine fun and seriousness into music at the same time with such a high level of musicianship (with the exception of Frank Zappa). The music is very solid. Geddy is hitting those high notes like he was 15 years younger. The only drawback is the lyrics in the chorus. I can't say that I fully understand what Neil was trying to go for there. The rest of the lyrics are brilliant though. I don't personally believe that the lyrics in the chorus are enough to ruin such an otherwise great song.

I would like to know why there is so much hate for two songs that at the very least are both better than the average Rush song in my opinion.

Edited by Rushman2112

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/5d/Sts1-liftoff-columbia.triddle.jpg/477px-Sts1-liftoff-columbia.triddle.jpg

STS-1

Any questions?

I LOVE COUNTDOWN!!!!!!!!! Dog Years - I like the music, but the lyrics are terrible. Still like the song.

The lyrics are funny in my opinion. Definitely not literary genius but I can enjoy them. :)