Time Stand Still.. studios the best... hands down

nicky6

its what got me heavy in rush,, seeing it on mtv. but no live version could ever compare to the magical studio version. Its just one of those songs you can repeat live. The close I ever heard it live to where it was a decent effort was the show of hands cd version. Other than that. no other version can compare. The next good one was the bootleg from roll the bones called run faster the 10 song radio broadcast.. from 1992. but such a great song studio wise. geddy sounds perfect. Worst live version was time machine dvd.. ouch. dudes..
  • Like 3

'Children growing up,Old friends getting older'.My late friend John just loved those lyrics.Yes the HYF original is best.And yes it would have been great to get Aimee onstage even to help out on bass duties and let Geddy at the keys instead of Alex.I always have a little look at her in that slinky black outfit in the clip. Edited by grasbo
  • Like 2

I love the song dearly but after hearing live versions. anyone notice how much Slower the studio version is. happens a lot with songs. but it's a BIG difference here.

Love the studio version though.

Mick

Was waiting for you to show up for this one... :D

I love the song dearly but after hearing live versions. anyone notice how much Slower the studio version is. happens a lot with songs. but it's a BIG difference here.

Love the studio version though.

Mick

Was waiting for you to show up for this one... :D

FREE DIS MOMAH!!!!!!!

Never get bored with that.

lol

Mick

• Like 2

I couldn't agree with this topic more! Great song on my favorite album of theirs. It's so well recorded too. Very clean in my opinion. This album holds a special place for me since it was at such an important time and place in my life.

I was a freshman at The University of Michigan that fall. This album got me through some tough adjustment periods. It also came out within a week or two of some other important albums in my musical landscape. These include Big Generator by Yes and A Momentary Lapse of Reason by Pink Floyd. All three albums still have significant meaning to me.

Can't believe its been 28 years already! I wish I could make time stand still!

• Like 4

I don't know why Big Generator and Momentary Lapse of Reason and for that matter HYF get rubbished so much.Yes they were all shiny synthersized albums but there were great songs.Shoot High,Aim Low with Jon Andersons soaring voice and Trevor Rabins magic guitar solos is one of my faves.Similar to Open Secrets on HYF.Perhaps all this was too light and polite for 2112 anarchists.When TSS was released as a single i honestly thought Rush had a chance of breaking into the charts over here in Oz land
  • Like 3

I don't know why Big Generator and Momentary Lapse of Reason and for that matter HYF get rubbished so much.Yes they were all shiny synthersized albums but there were great songs.Shoot High,Aim Low with Jon Andersons soaring voice and Trevor Rabins magic guitar solos is one of my faves.Similar to Open Secrets on HYF.Perhaps all this was too light and polite for 2112 anarchists.When TSS was released as a single i honestly thought Rush had a chance of breaking into the charts over here in Oz land

All fine albums, but if the seminal albums released prior to these decent albums were never recorded, most of us would never ever have heard of Big Generator, Momentary Lapse, or for that mattter, Hold Your Fire.

• Like 2

Time Stand Still was the first ever Rush song I heard, so it's quite special to me. Aside from that, the song itself is brilliant, I listen to it a lot when I'm out and about. I agree the studio version is perfect, although I am a big fan of the Show of Hands version. I always wondered why Geddy sang the lyric 'I'm not looking back but I want to look around me now' so high when performing it live, when in the studio, it's sung much lower. It would have saved his voice a lot, especially on the Time Machine Tour. He really struggled a bit there, with respect to Ged.

As for Big Generator, being a huge Yes fan, I love this album too. Shoot High, Aim Low is one of my all-time favorite songs by that band. Rabin's guitar solo is majestic.

• Like 2

This song was love at first listen for me. One of my favourites for sure and the lyrics really resonate with me. The hilariously cheesy video is a bonus--it's my go to whenever I need a laugh :LOL:
  • Like 1