You would think Neil would have updated his site by now?

neilpeart.net

149 replies to this topic

#41 Tombstone Mountain

Tombstone Mountain

The Grinder of all Yukonian Blades

• Members *
  • 14365 posts
  • Interests:Picking it up. Laying it down.
    Staying on the inside track.
    Sniffin' out the truth!

Posted 03 September 2015 - 07:54 PM

View PostFOH Lights, on 03 September 2015 - 05:49 PM, said:

View PostEagleMoon, on 03 September 2015 - 03:43 PM, said:

View PostFOH Lights, on 03 September 2015 - 11:38 AM, said:

OK, I'll just say it: despite his amazing percussion prowess, his blogs, and his books... Neil is still a DICK. :D

Nobody paying any attention to you over on the Van Halen forum?
I'm not on any other music/band forums. No need to get upset, though. It's just my opinion. And trust me, right now, that opinion is shared by many.
I imagine this to be true. But what can we do? Let it ride and say "thank you" for all those years of joy sounds good to me.

After this tour I can't complain one iota.

Just waiting for the new drummer to show up.

Sponsored Post

#42 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21764 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 03 September 2015 - 08:25 PM

View PostTombstone Mountain, on 03 September 2015 - 07:54 PM, said:

OK, I'll just say it: despite his amazing percussion prowess, his blogs, and his books... Neil is still a DICK. :D

I'm not on any other music/band forums. No need to get upset, though. It's just my opinion. And trust me, right now, that opinion is shared by many.
I imagine this to be true. But what can we do? Let it ride and say "thank you" for all those years of joy sounds good to me.

If you remember, this guy was pretending to be someone who actually had something to do with the band. Would someone who did actually call Neil a dick? I don't think so. Also he was going to leave and not come back. I see that lasted a short time. Too bad.

#43 x1yyz

x1yyz

The Shark Whisperer

• Members
  • 8821 posts
  • Interests:Stuff. And things.

Posted 03 September 2015 - 08:43 PM

View PostEagleMoon, on 03 September 2015 - 08:25 PM, said:

If you remember, this guy was pretending to be someone who actually had something to do with the band. Would someone who did actually call Neil a dick? I don't think so. Also he was going to leave and not come back. I see that lasted a short time. Too bad.

Who pissed in your corn flakes?

#44 toadbrother

toadbrother

Restless Young Rushmantic

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 08:44 PM

We all know it's going to be a two or three thousand word essay about riding his bike on some god-forsaken logging road overlooking the Pacific Coast highway, and talking about how summer always reminds him of Upton Sinclair's novel about a guy who go lives in a cabin and talks to himself for thirty years. At the end he'll talk about the last couple of shows, about how Al is funny and Geddy was gestabulatory (I guarantee you, the word exists and Neil is the first person in 138 years to use it). At the end he might drop a hint that it's time for a good long rest, but there won't be any great declaration that the band is done, or that he's retiring, or whether they will record again. You will have waded through a long travelogue and vocabulary-busting prose only to discover you've learned absolutely nothing.

#45 Tombstone Mountain

Tombstone Mountain

The Grinder of all Yukonian Blades

• Members *
  • 14365 posts
  • Interests:Picking it up. Laying it down.
    Staying on the inside track.
    Sniffin' out the truth!

Posted 03 September 2015 - 08:46 PM

Brad is not pretending. I was fascinated by the documentary on his job with Rush. Really cool stuff. A talented musician in his own right.

He was also kind enough to let Howard know I wanted to speak with him. Very nice of Brad

#46 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21764 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 03 September 2015 - 10:18 PM

View Postx1yyz, on 03 September 2015 - 08:43 PM, said:

Who pissed in your corn flakes?

Nobody but I know what's coming.

#47 Lucas

Lucas

Leave That Wrench Alone

• Members
  • 10808 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 11:15 PM

Let's think of it like this:

For those who were around in 1974, try to remember back to what your life was like

It was a long time ago

And Neil has been in this band since then - writing, creating, on the road, recording, getting married, mourning the unexpected losses of his daughter and wife, and more writing, recording and touring

It might have come to an end a few weeks ago

To put it in perspective, I get emotional when my favorite TV show goes off the air ..

It is natural to reflect back, not just on a TV show, but ALL OF WHAT HAS HAPPENED IN LIFE SINCE THAT TV SHOW

Neil has a lot to digest from the past 40 years

Let's just say that blogging is, understandably and sanely, not his priority

Edited by Lucas, 03 September 2015 - 11:15 PM.

#48 TheWatchMaker97

TheWatchMaker97

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 821 posts
  • Interests:Drums, Guitar, Hockey.

Posted 04 September 2015 - 12:08 AM

https://youtu.be/YkdOMjR_09Q

#49 mrfriendly

mrfriendly

The Seeker

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 12:14 AM

I have heard this by many, I remember reading an interview with joey jordison who was a fan of his saying he just doesnt like his attitude and that basically yeah he's a dick. It surprise me to hear this because you wouldn't tell it the way he presents himself on his videos and in interviews. does he get along with anyone? and how rude is he to people in front of their faces. is it more that he's anti social or he is literally a dick to people in front of them.

also I've heard you comment about him but how are geddy and alex in that regard, any surprises there?

#50 TheWatchMaker97

TheWatchMaker97

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 821 posts
  • Interests:Drums, Guitar, Hockey.

Posted 04 September 2015 - 12:27 AM

https://youtu.be/iOyvp6ZqlVQ

#51 FOH Lights

FOH Lights

The Seeker

• Members
  • 450 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 07:30 AM

View Postmrfriendly, on 04 September 2015 - 12:14 AM, said:

I have heard this by many, I remember reading an interview with joey jordison who was a fan of his saying he just doesnt like his attitude and that basically yeah he's a dick. It surprise me to hear this because you wouldn't tell it the way he presents himself on his videos and in interviews. does he get along with anyone? and how rude is he to people in front of their faces. is it more that he's anti social or he is literally a dick to people in front of them.
On the road, to people he doesn't know, he's standoffish, but that's just a self-defense mechanism to cope with his own inner issues. He gets along very well with Michael and a few other insiders ("yes" men) and has very little to do with anyone else.

also I've heard you comment about him but how are geddy and alex in that regard, any surprises there?
They are the complete opposite of Neil on the road. Very nice, very personable, and guys you'd wanna sit down and have a drink with. Here's the thing, if you were Geddy or Alex, how would you feel about basically being held hostage by your drummer for the last 10 years or so? How would you feel if almost every aspect of your last tour was dictated by, well... by a dictator? That kind of behavior doesn't go unnoticed by anyone on the inside.

#52 x1yyz

x1yyz

The Shark Whisperer

• Members
  • 8821 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 08:32 AM

View PostLucas, on 03 September 2015 - 11:15 PM, said:

Let's think of it like this:

For those who were around in 1974, try to remember back to what your life was like

It was a long time ago

And Neil has been in this band since then - writing, creating, on the road, recording, getting married, mourning the unexpected losses of his daughter and wife, and more writing, recording and touring

It might have come to an end a few weeks ago

To put it in perspective, I get emotional when my favorite TV show goes off the air ..

It is natural to reflect back, not just on a TV show, but ALL OF WHAT HAS HAPPENED IN LIFE SINCE THAT TV SHOW

Neil has a lot to digest from the past 40 years

Let's just say that blogging is, understandably and sanely, not his priority

Very good points indeed.

#53 x1yyz

x1yyz

The Shark Whisperer

• Members
  • 8821 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 08:36 AM

View PostFOH Lights, on 04 September 2015 - 07:30 AM, said:

On the road, to people he doesn't know, he's standoffish, but that's just a self-defense mechanism to cope with his own inner issues. He gets along very well with Michael and a few other insiders ("yes" men) and has very little to do with anyone else.

They are the complete opposite of Neil on the road. Very nice, very personable, and guys you'd wanna sit down and have a drink with. Here's the thing, if you were Geddy or Alex, how would you feel about basically being held hostage by your drummer for the last 10 years or so? How would you feel if almost every aspect of your last tour was dictated by, well... by a dictator? That kind of behavior doesn't go unnoticed by anyone on the inside.

That is sad.  I've got nothing against Neil (never met him, and I can sympathize with his social issues) but it is unfortunate that he doesn't act better towards his bandmates/friends he's had for 41 years now.  Maybe they're no longer his friends and are indeed just "the guys at work."

#54 mrfriendly

mrfriendly

The Seeker

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 09:05 AM

So do Geddy/Alex get along with him these days and if not i guess they are just making show when they talk about him in interviews and it seems like everyone in the band gets along. I guess it should have been obvious all these years seeing as how they RARELY ever do interviews together. its always get/alex and neil separately.

When you say the last tour he was the dictator, was it only R40 or has he always been that way for the last couple decades. I'm wondering if post the tragedies his attitude has been harsh or you think he's always been a dick as you say since 1974, lol.

#55 antiquark

antiquark

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1576 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 09:39 AM

After his family tragedy, he told Geddy and Alex that he didn't want to do any more interviews or press conferences. So he let them take care of that.

I've heard that he's friendly and outgoing if you don't know who he is.

#56 FOH Lights

FOH Lights

The Seeker

• Members
  • 450 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 09:45 AM

View Postmrfriendly, on 04 September 2015 - 09:05 AM, said:

So do Geddy/Alex get along with him these days and if not i guess they are just making show when they talk about him in interviews and it seems like everyone in the band gets along. I guess it should have been obvious all these years seeing as how they RARELY ever do interviews together. its always get/alex and neil separately.
I think their relationship is "professional". When I hear talk about the trips they take together or the holiday celebrations at their homes, Neil is never included in the conversation. Even on the road, I've never seen Neil really interact with them in any great detail, other than soundcheck and the like. Of course, you'll never hear any of them publically talk bad about each other - it's just not their nature. But the rumblings under the surface can't be denied. I guess what I'm saying is that other than professionally, they don't seem to pal around together.

When you say the last tour he was the dictator, was it only R40 or has he always been that way for the last couple decades. I'm wondering if post the tragedies his attitude has been harsh or you think he's always been a dick as you say since 1974, lol.
No, I don't think he's always been a dick, but time and life's circumstances have a way of changing one's attitude and way of thinking. It would be naive to think that the tragidies didn't alter his outlook on life. The disdain towards touring came on gradually, but seems to really have accelerated in the last couple of tours. His priorities shifted more towards family, obviously. This tour was short, because that's how he wanted it. There was no overseas leg, because he didn't want one. They ended in LA, because that's what he wanted. When his "demands" hit the table, there was NO bargaining. It was take it or leave it and understand that this is the last time I'm doing this. So no, he wasn't always the "do it my way or I'm taking my ball and going home" dick that he is today. That's just what he evolved into. In all fairness though, after similar family tragedies, who among us would still be the same person we were prior?

Edited by FOH Lights, 04 September 2015 - 09:50 AM.

#57 antiquark

antiquark

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1576 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 09:57 AM

As long as they still get drunk together, they must be good friends...

#58 mrfriendly

mrfriendly

The Seeker

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 10:19 AM

Yeah I can completely understand his demeanour after what he went through, I know of people in similar situations where everything crumbles after losing a loved one, particularly a child. So the fact that he managed to come back, do 6 amazing tours release a couple of albums, and grab a ton of new fans who never appreciated this band - what more could you ask for. And I get the sense from one of Alex's recent interviews that he made a comment about how there are no harsh feelings towards Neil that he doesnt wanna continue considering everything he has gone through.

I do find some of your observations interesting although predictable I guess. Its apparent every time you see Geddy/Alex the joy and fun they have together even after knowing each other for so long. It seems like they don't get bored of each others company. No surprise though after 40+ years for neil that chemistry might have fizzled, I'm sure they were closer back in the day but priorities have clearly changed.

If the disdain came over the last couple tours makes complete sense - they were doing tmt, clockwork every year from 2010-13. And he would have just had his kid around the start of that so can completely understand he would want to be done with this. i was just curious if his dislike of touring was there in the 80s, 90s etc. but makes complete sense.

BTW, did you have any info on the release date for the R40 blu ray?

Edited by mrfriendly, 04 September 2015 - 11:35 AM.

#59 Anthemic

Anthemic

Prime Mover

• Members *
  • 742 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 10:59 AM

it's possible to love someone and still be thoroughly irritated with them. i doubt that the relationship between those guys is as simple as 'it's strictly professional.' what Alex and Geddy want regarding the band might be different than what Neil wants but I doubt this is any kind of acrimonious divorce.

#60 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42114 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 11:55 AM

Post Deleted.

Edited by Lorraine, 04 September 2015 - 06:31 PM.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users