Should RUSH Do a Jazz Album???

JohnRogers

I hesitate to put a label on music, however, an "experimental" album from RUSH might be a better word - at least IMHO

I'm talkin' long, cinematic instrumental sections ala the intro to Xanadu, sections of By Tor, Jacob's Ladder or The Necromancer ... those parts created such fantastic visuals -

Songs that are in no hurry to expand right in front of us

No. I'm sure they could play it technically, but it would be forced and have no Jazz Soul. No offence to the band, but it's not their thing.
  • Like 2

Neil would have a field day with that, I don't think it would fit well for Ged or Alex.

Why not? I'm not a musician but is playing jazz guitar boring?

No because Peart cannot play jazz drums, he has no swing or improv skills. Everything Peart plays is prearranged and rehearsed meticulously.

I've heard that before a few times. Would anyone want to expand on this help me understand better?

Neil would have a field day with that, I don't think it would fit well for Ged or Alex.

Why not? I'm not a musician but is playing jazz guitar boring?

No because Peart cannot play jazz drums, he has no swing or improv skills. Everything Peart plays is prearranged and rehearsed meticulously.

I've heard that before a few times. Would anyone want to expand on this help me understand better?

If it's not worked out and arranged as either a composition or a scripted drum solo then Peart is like a fish out of water. he's just not good at improvising drum parts and he has no sense of propulsive rhythmic feel or groove that you need for jazz.

• Like 1

What about those Buddy Rich tribute albums he did in the nineties? What about that time he went to Africa and jammed with a drum master in public (read about that in a Rush book)?

EDIT: And what about YYZ? Ever heard of how that was created, through a pure jam session between Ged and Neil while Alex was out flying airplanes with Terry?

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo

Peart has a great love of jazz...but he simply does not swing...an absolute neccesity to play jazz....his improv isn't there either....I'm also not so sure that Lee and Lifeson are particularly good at those things either....Rush has loosened up in recent times....especially live...but those needed elements are not the same as what Rush has done....

Players jamming and creating over let's say a day throwing out what they don't like to make a five minute song is not the same and creating stuff in the moment live that sounds rehearsed for months...it just isn't.

What about those Buddy Rich tribute albums he did in the nineties? What about that time he went to Africa and jammed with a drum master in public (read about that in a Rush book)?

EDIT: And what about YYZ? Ever heard of how that was created, through a pure jam session between Ged and Neil while Alex was out flying airplanes with Terry?

Neil took lessons from Freddie Gruber and did the Buddy Rich thing etc but even he admitted that he's no jazz drummer and that he sucked doing that. What makes Peart so good, his accuracy, his machine like timing also makes him stiff and rigid when trying to play more freely with jazz..

• Like 3