Are you a picker?

jamie

A skin picker? A nail picker? A nose picker?

Everyone does gross stuff. I've had a habit of picking my nails since I was about 7. I can never grow my nails long because there's just something so oddly satisfying about tearing the lunula (the white part of your nail) off. If i see a chip or a split, i have to pick at it. I think it's more of a boredom habit rather than an anxious habit because i almost always did it in class. I would try to hide it because I didn't want people thinking im the weird girl with finger nail fragments all over the desk and herself.

Ive been known for picking my butt once in a while

I only pick my seat when I go to the movies typically... :)
  • Like 1

Everyone does gross stuff. I've had a habit of picking my nails since I was about 7. I can never grow my nails long because there's just something so oddly satisfying about tearing the lunula (the white part of your nail) off. If i see a chip or a split, i have to pick at it. I think it's more of a boredom habit rather than an anxious habit because i almost always did it in class. I would try to hide it because I didn't want people thinking im the weird girl with finger nail fragments all over the desk and herself.

Guilty picker here! I make lots of crafts & spend hours picking the glue off them. It's like I obsess on perfection & once I get started... and I pick my nails too. I figure everybody does that. But yes, it's weird, like I can't stop almost. I've seen people pick on their skin so bad, they've made big sores & scars. Some were tweekers, but not all. I think it comes from an obsession with perfection. Like they see an imperfection on themselves, & they must get it off of them. I think others pick at stuff as a self comfort mechanism or just absent mindedly. I know it's gross, but somehow, it's oddly fascinating.

http://rlv.zcache.com.au/you_cant_pick_your_friends_nose_sticker-r2f0c92c1eb86472496408386638b8e85_v9waf_8byvr_324.jpg

I supposed that all came down to how close you and your friend are. ;)

Now I have that Steve Miller song running through my head . . . . :)

If it helps any to know, picking is a real "thing" in psych disorders; it's a little different than OCD, but when my daughter went to the OCD conference this summer they had talks on picking and a support group as well so I guess it happens somewhat.

I keep busy enough picking black cat hairs EVERYWHERE, I'm surprised our cat isn't bald by now!

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 1