What warm up bands did you see before they were "big"?

djflex

things are a little different now, most bands carry a somewhat well known opening act. But back in the day warm up bands usually were lesser known and working their way up. Often little airplay on fm radio until after they caught a big break and signed for a big tour..

Ive seen a few before they made it but cant remember all of them..

I remember def leopard opening for ozzy i believe before i ever even heard of them. I remember after they played we said these guys are gonna be huge...lol. Hysteria dropped the next year or so and they blew up!

Once we went to see the cult, the opening band was guns and roses. No one ever heard of them , we laughed at the name and skipped them to drink in the parking lot.....doh

Im sure others will come to mind

• Like 1

Um, Def Leppard was already big before Hysteria. Pyromania came out a few years before and broke them huge.

Yeah your right, but when i saw them with ozzy, i believe only high and dry was out. Pyromania dropped then they blew it up. You gotta humor me I'm obviously old and not on top of things lol

• Like 1

Good question:

Those that became really big:

Bon Jovi

Queensryche

Motley Crue

I would have loved to see queensryche before they broke...

I guess pelican isnt really "big", but i saw them warm up for isis years ago. It was a pretty small club and they blew me away. That was a fun one...

Maybe i shoulda just made this thread "good warm up bands"

• Like 1

Um, Def Leppard was already big before Hysteria. Pyromania came out a few years before and broke them huge.

Yeah your right, but when i saw them with ozzy, i believe only high and dry was out. Pyromania dropped then they blew it up. You gotta humor me I'm obviously old and not on top of things lol

High n dry was their second album after on through the night that had airplay with rock brigade. High n dry was a pretty big album and bring in on the heartbreak was huge on rock radio.

• Like 1

High n dry was their second album after on through the night that had airplay with rock brigade. High n dry was a pretty big album and bring in on the heartbreak was huge on rock radio.

Well , this thread sucks then lol...

I dunno

I am going to see df tomorrow though..

In '87 I went to see The Cult at a small venue in Santa Cruz, CA, and an unknown band -- Guns 'N Roses -- opened. At the time, and as a Cult fan, I was dismayed that GNR blew The Cult off the stage.

I was front and center with my ribs getting crushed on the railing, and I remember Axl Rose sweating on me. I also recall Axl wandering around the venue before the show carrying a bunch of helium balloons, and he looked like a little kid. A little kid that was high as fvck...

• Like 4

I guess pelican isnt really "big", but i saw them warm up for isis years ago. It was a pretty small club and they blew me away. That was a fun one...

That must've been amazing to see. Then again, I've seen neither of them live.

• Like 1

When you mean big do you mean super star big or popular enough.

Like Rush wasn't SUPERSTAR until Moving Pictures, but they werent only doing bars before that album

However u wish to interpet it, if you have one post it up. Im no stickler for details...

• Like 1

That must've been amazing to see. Then again, I've seen neither of them live.

It was a great one. The club shows are always the best.

The guitar player from pelican was working his own booth and we got to buy a cd from him.

I iived in Boulder, CO for a spell and I used to go see this band called the Reejers play at the Fox Theater. They blew me away every single time. They never got big and broke up after touring for years. Nick Iurata, the guitar player for the Reejers, ended up forming a band called Devotchka and they were pretty successful doing soundtrack work.

Heres an example of both:

Van Halen in 79' opening for Ted Nugent is the biggest one that comes to mind. I did see Judas Priest in a place that was more or less a bar in Northern Virginia once but I think they were the headlining act though. I saw UFO as an opening act but were they ever really "big"? Scorpions too. .. :codger: Edited by Narps
  • Like 4

Awesome thread!

I saw the Pearl Jam TEN tour at The Warfield in SF.

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE opened.

Zach handed me a cassette demo before PJ hit the stage.

Saw TOOL on a side stage at LOLLAPALOOZA.

EPIC

Saw PRIMUS in my Junior College DVC in Concord CA. They fuckinng played the cafeteria. Fire Marshall was there.

The line was around the block when they shut the doors.

• Like 2