An unpopular opinion about prog rock.

fraroc

In my honest and blunt opinion, I don't give a flying f**k about time signatures. And I think that obsessing over them, as if they make a song good or bad, detracts from the actual song itself.

That's it.

• Like 1

In my honest and blunt opinion, I don't give a flying f**k about time signatures. And I think that obsessing over them, as if they make a song good or bad, detracts from the actual song itself.

That's it.

Not enough people paying attention to you lately?

• Like 10

That's it.

Being able to change time signatures multiple times within the same piece of music is generally thought of as a measure of technical proficiency, and mastery of rhythm, etc...and I think rightly so, in general.

But what it really comes down to is whether you like the music itself- the way it sounds- or not. If you do, then groovy. And if not...well that's groovy, too.

I think I get what you're saying- you don't care so much about the technical stuff, and just enjoy music for what it is. Right on.

• Like 5

It seems that Im the only one here who knows what time signatures are. But I am a multi-instrumentalist. Time signatures basically tell you have the music is supposed to be counted, how fast to play it, and how many beats per bar. Not important if your just a casual listener.
  • Like 1

It seems that Im the only one here who knows what time signatures are. But I am a multi-instrumentalist. Time signatures basically tell you have the music is supposed to be counted, how fast to play it, and how many beats per bar. Not important if your just a casual listener.

For the proficient prog artists, time signatures are often asdogbed after the fact, to describe what developed by feel during a jam session.

In a side note, for those interested in learning about time signatures, listen to Dave Brubeck's classic Time Out album while reading the liner notes. That's a pretty good tutorial.

• Like 3

It seems that Im the only one here who knows what time signatures are.

No, you're not.

Here at TRF, understanding time signatures is common.

;)

Edited by goose
  • Like 2

I just think that people who would go out of their way to say that if a song doesn't have a weird time signature that it automatically sucks are being really shallow and close minded.
  • Like 1

I just think that people who would go out of their way to say that if a song doesn't have a weird time signature that it automatically sucks are being really shallow and close minded.

People have opinions. It's inevitable and its part of life. Doesn't make it right or wrong. It just is.

• Like 2

That's it.

Actually, what you present here is quite a "popular" opinion... Just not a "popular" opinion here is all. (but you knew this)

You see, being members of a website such as "therushforum", musicians / musical connoisseurs here like to look more in depth into these sort of things, more than laymen... Call it pretentious, but it's really just an appreciation of virtuosity.

Considering that you don't even really listen to much Rush to begin with, perhaps you're simply on the wrong forum? :LOL:

Edited by Mr. Not
  • Like 1

Where have people said this? I don't think i've seen that on this board. Every band writes music differently and has a different level of talent, so it's not possible for everyone to write complicated time signatures. Sometimes a simple riff works just as good for a song.

• Like 2

What you're opposed to here is a figment -- but that's not entirely your fault. People will often claim they hate pop music and then cite the fact that it's in 4/4 as a reason; but this is just a type of hyperbole. These same people will enjoy the 4/4 prog rock songs by Yes, Rush, [prog rock band name here], etc...

• Like 2

Odd time signatures aren't always just about showing off (sometimes they are)...but they can be important to the 'feel' of a song. An uneven time, like something in 5 or 7 creates an entirely different groove than a 4.

Also, sometimes a riff just naturally fits a certain time signature. For instance, the bass riff for Pink Floyd's Money is in 7/4, but you could hardly accuse them of 'showing off'...it's just a simple cool riff that happens to be just right in 7/4...if they added another note to it, just to make it fit into 4/4, then it would sound wrong

• Like 1

OK, folks. What are your favorite songs that feature and odd time signature?

Solsbury Hill comes to mind as a great track with a hidden odd time sig. Almost perfrct, really. I give it a seven out of eight stars.

• Like 1

For the proficient prog artists, time signatures are often asdogbed after the fact, to describe what developed by feel during a jam session.

In a side note, for those interested in learning about time signatures, listen to Dave Brubeck's classic Time Out album while reading the liner notes. That's a pretty good tutorial.

What...is the album Time Out or Take Five? I have to go look now....

:outtahere: