An unpopular opinion about prog rock.

fraroc

I might be mistaken by making a logical post in the middle of an apparent bar fight but here it goes...

I had alot of classical training when I was young. I have a minor in music from college and took a fair amount of music theory classes. There you learn how to write songs in a very 'mathematical' sense where notes and time signatures only work where they are supposed to.

At a certain point I decided to throw that training away for the most part and simply play by ear. Much of Rush's material is mostly figuring out the 'timing' of the song. If you try to interpret time signatures, it would take you all day. The beginning of YYZ is a good example...forget the time signature, just play the morse code timing. So for most experienced musicians, it's more playing by instinct and feel rather than sitting down and disecting the time signature.

Edited by 2112FirstStreet
  • Like 2

Unusual time signatures can make a dull song more interesting. If all you want to do is head bang, then feel free to stick to 4/4.
  • Like 1

When it comes to odd tome signatures, not many songs can top this one:

https://youtu.be/FwkcRTNMsWs

Pure wankery!!!!! :notworthy:

And thank you for bringing us back on topic.

I saw them mess this song up in Madrid...Mangini made a mistake halfway towards the end. Embarassing...

How the hell could you notice? "He played 11-4-7-3-9 instead of 12-3-8-3-8". :LOL:

DT fans know this song by heart, and they missed up pretty bad...this coming from a non musician.

Here are some of my notes from an old thread on time signatures:

What's a time signature?

It's how musical passages are grouped/arranged. Go listen to the intro to Kid Gloves. If you count each note that Alex is playing, you're counting quarter notes. You'll notice that the notes are arranged into groups of 5 (1-2-3-4-5, repeat). That means the intro is in 5/4: 5 groups of quarter notes per measure. The verses are in 5/4 as well. When the music changes to fit the "call it blind frustration" sections, it switches to 4/4 (you count 1-2-3-4, repeat). The duration-value of the notes in both those sections is the same -- they're quarter notes, but the grouping changes from groups of 5 to groups of 4.

(JARG's answer)

---------------------------------------------------------------

What's a time signature?

It refers to how many beats are in each measure. As a listener, you can only (or mainly) pick it up by listening to the melodic phrases that repeat. If you can read sheet music, you can 'hear' it without it being played.

The Trees, for example- the solo section is in 5/4 time- five beats per measure, and each beat is a quarter note.

The various and tricky time signatures are what is at the heart of the complexity of Rush music- the prog period and the epics in particular. They seemed to be unafraid of anything. It's difficult to write music in unconventional time signatures, and even trickier to play.

(BlueJ's answer)

================================================================-

• Like 3

I might be mistaken by making a logical post in the middle of an apparent bar fight but here it goes...

I had alot of classical training when I was young. I have a minor in music from college and took a fair amount of music theory classes. There you learn how to write songs in a very 'mathematical' sense where notes and time signatures only work where they are supposed to.

At a certain point I decided to throw that training away for the most part and simply play by ear. Much of Rush's material is mostly figuring out the 'timing' of the song. If you try to interpret time signatures, it would take you all day. The beginning of YYZ is a good example...forget the time signature, just play the morse code timing. So for most experienced musicians, it's more playing by instinct and feel rather than sitting down and disecting the time signature.

I agree !

You toss everything else out the window and I believe the one thing that is obvious in all songs is sincerity . . For me, a band like YES had fantastic ideas coming from each member, and when these ideas and inspirations were put together, the songs were magnificent - I can't imagine Steve Howe calculating some mathematic equation prior to applying to music - his genius is in his sincerity and unique approach, which was an amalgam of everything that ever inspired him ..

When he talked about writing The Clap, and his son, I can just imagine how the entire piece came together, with his baby there reacting and laughing at the parts he heard and loved ..

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 1

Songs of the top of my head that are in time signatures other than 4/4

Money - Pink Floyd

Solsbury Hill - Peter Gabriel

Roundabout, Close To The Edge - Yes

La Villa Strangiato, YYZ, Tom Sawyer, Limelight - Rush

Them Bones - AIC's

Black Dog, The Ocean, Four Sticks - Led Zep

Tarkus, Lucky Man - ELP

Turn It On Again - Genesis

Seven Days - Sting

• Like 1

Thank you. I think the main need for time signatures in a playing setting is for session musicians. They need to be able to come in and get what is trying to be accomplished immediately.

• Like 1

Songs of the top of my head that are in time signatures other than 4/4

Money - Pink Floyd

Solsbury Hill - Peter Gabriel

Roundabout, Close To The Edge - Yes

La Villa Strangiato, YYZ, Tom Sawyer, Limelight - Rush

Them Bones - AIC's

Black Dog, The Ocean, Four Sticks - Led Zep

Tarkus, Lucky Man - ELP

Turn It On Again - Genesis

Seven Days - Sting

Actually, I think Lucky Man is in 6/8...you get the 1 2 3, 1 2 3 waltz rhythm. Probably one of the few ELP songs that didn't have frequent time signature changes.

• Like 2

Thank you. I think the main need for time signatures in a playing setting is for session musicians. They need to be able to come in and get what is trying to be accomplished immediately.

True, that's for picking up songs quickly likely using sheet music or tabs. But so much original Rock (or Prog) music is generated by a good jam, riff or vibe and you just go with it without thinking about time signatures. That bass riff on Pink Floyd's 'money' is probably something that happened in a jam without thinking.

Edited by 2112FirstStreet

This is true:

KISS' song Flaming Youth has sections in 7/4 time, with parts that go from 3/4, and then to 4/4

Watchin' You has a section that goes from 4/4 to 9/8

Prog ??

Hardly

http://www.kissforum.de/phpbb2/userpix/359_FlamingYouthScoreTab_1.jpg

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTOvUOqbhVU

I've seen Dillinger live...they're good!!!!

This is the only Dillinger album I've listened to (I know Greg Puciato's not on this album) but I think it's really good.

:goodone: It is art, after all.

I've seen Dillinger live...they're good!!!!

Did you see them with Chris Pennie on drums ?

Not sure, man...I saw them at the Soundwave Festival in '09.

Father Time loves to sign his signature for the naive.

As a drummer of 33 years and playing my ass off to everything I could give a fukk about that shit.

I play from the heart, the mind and soul.

Perhaps that's why I never made it, but I can fukking play.

Edited by RUSHHEAD666
  • Like 1

Here are some of my notes from an old thread on time signatures:

What's a time signature?

It's how musical passages are grouped/arranged. Go listen to the intro to Kid Gloves. If you count each note that Alex is playing, you're counting quarter notes. You'll notice that the notes are arranged into groups of 5 (1-2-3-4-5, repeat). That means the intro is in 5/4: 5 groups of quarter notes per measure. The verses are in 5/4 as well. When the music changes to fit the "call it blind frustration" sections, it switches to 4/4 (you count 1-2-3-4, repeat). The duration-value of the notes in both those sections is the same -- they're quarter notes, but the grouping changes from groups of 5 to groups of 4.

(JARG's answer)

---------------------------------------------------------------

What's a time signature?

It refers to how many beats are in each measure. As a listener, you can only (or mainly) pick it up by listening to the melodic phrases that repeat. If you can read sheet music, you can 'hear' it without it being played.

The Trees, for example- the solo section is in 5/4 time- five beats per measure, and each beat is a quarter note.

The various and tricky time signatures are what is at the heart of the complexity of Rush music- the prog period and the epics in particular. They seemed to be unafraid of anything. It's difficult to write music in unconventional time signatures, and even trickier to play.

(BlueJ's answer)

================================================================-

Haha...I remember that day! That was when JARG 'taught' me that Kid Gloves was in 5/4, and I 'taught' him the same thing about The Trees. Both of us had heard it in one song, but neither one of us had picked up on it in the other.

:P

• Like 1

You know, this is exactly what I was talking about...time signatures, unless you're a musician yourself, are not important.

JUST LIKE WHAT YOU LIKE.

• Like 1

You know, this is exactly what I was talking about...time signatures, unless you're a musician yourself, are not important.

JUST LIKE WHAT YOU LIKE.

Why would you really care what other people think anyway? Leave the music-making to the musicians. What an inane topic of conversation.

• Like 3