An unpopular opinion about prog rock.

fraroc

Troll.

Ok, I'll bite. Why haven't you jumped off that building yet? Can you do it in double quick time when you do?

Happy now? No doubt the usual soft touches will come to your defensive and call me a monster. Even though the issue of your suicidal tendencies is pathetically related to a Rock band you know hardly anything about.

• Like 4

Troll.

Ok, I'll bite. Why haven't you jumped off that building yet? Can you do it in double quick time when you do?

Happy now? No doubt the usual soft touches will come to your defensive and call me a monster. Even though the issue of your suicidal tendencies is pathetically related to a Rock band you know hardly anything about.

Monster? :no: Attention whore? Maybe... :unsure: Wankish web-bully? :yes:

And away we go...!

:joker:

It seems that Im the only one here who knows what time signatures are. But I am a multi-instrumentalist. Time signatures basically tell you have the music is supposed to be counted, how fast to play it, and how many beats per bar. Not important if your just a casual listener.

For the proficient prog artists, time signatures are often asdogbed after the fact, to describe what developed by feel during a jam session.

In a side note, for those interested in learning about time signatures, listen to Dave Brubeck's classic Time Out album while reading the liner notes. That's a pretty good tutorial.

What...is the album Time Out or Take Five? I have to go look now....

:outtahere:

Time_out_album_cover.jpg

Time Out. Take Five is one of the tracks. It's in 7/8, I think.

• Like 1

It seems that Im the only one here who knows what time signatures are. But I am a multi-instrumentalist. Time signatures basically tell you have the music is supposed to be counted, how fast to play it, and how many beats per bar. Not important if your just a casual listener.

For the proficient prog artists, time signatures are often asdogbed after the fact, to describe what developed by feel during a jam session.

In a side note, for those interested in learning about time signatures, listen to Dave Brubeck's classic Time Out album while reading the liner notes. That's a pretty good tutorial.

Time_out_album_cover.jpg

Hmmm...I thought it was called Take Five because it's in 5/4. (Or maybe 5/8?). But I could be wrong about that. I'd have to listen to it again.

The most important musicians for me are the ones who can convey a feeling or vision and allow me to translate it emotionally, regardless of style or complexity ..

Music, like love, is not about reciting rehearsed passages to those you care about ... it's not mathematics, and bands that go into writing music based on mathematics are not musicians, IMHO

In other words, if someone is listening to something simply because it is perceived as complex, they are being taken

• Like 1

people who judge music based on how "complex" or "technical" it is are a small, small fraction of the music-listening world. don't let it get to you - outside of this forum or the dream theater forum, people who think like that are laughed at.
  • Like 1

Troll.

And away we go...!

Stop being an enabler Goose.

• Like 1

Troll.

And away we go...!

positive vibes, everyone. the only person we're allowed to shit-talk is running rebel, got it?

• Like 2

I just think that people who would go out of their way to say that if a song doesn't have a weird time signature that it automatically sucks are being really shallow and close minded.

I've literally never seen that here

I do think people here place a bit too much emphasis on technicality and sounding squeaky clean. I haven't seen anyone say that you have to be technical to be good, but I've seen people who criticize KISS for being simplistic and it's clear that they're so obsessed with 12 minute songs about elves that they miss the point of rock n roll entirely.

• Like 3

I just think that people who would go out of their way to say that if a song doesn't have a weird time signature that it automatically sucks are being really shallow and close minded.

I've literally never seen that here

I do think people here place a bit too much emphasis on technicality and sounding squeaky clean. I haven't seen anyone say that you have to be technical to be good, but I've seen people who criticize KISS for being simplistic and it's clear that they're so obsessed with 12 minute songs about elves that they miss the point of rock n roll entirely.

That's not why kiss sucks.

• Like 3

I still believe that bands write riffs not songs in certain time. Waters didn't sit down to write a song in 7/8 (and yes, 4/4 during the solo) when he wrote Money, he found a cool riff that happened to work in 7/8.

Troll.

OKAY THAT'S IT, YOU CROSSED THE f***ing LINE RIGHT THERE.

Albiet, I shouldn't be surprised, seeing as how you've done nothing but imply what you just said for months...Now you actually said it, Congratulations, you finally got it off your chest and flat-out said I should kill myself. Want a f***ing medal?

Edited by fraroc

Time_out_album_cover.jpg

That's a great album.

• Like 1

Time_out_album_cover.jpg

Hmmm...I thought it was called Take Five because it's in 5/4. (Or maybe 5/8?). But I could be wrong about that. I'd have to listen to it again.

Yeah, it is. I'm just messin'!

1-2-3, 1-2... = 5 beats. Quarter note gets the beat, thus 5 beats of 1/4 notes = 5/4 time.

See how it works, everyone?

• Like 1

Here's one in 7/4. Seven beats... 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7... . Three beat lead in ...and 7 and 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7 and..,1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7 and..,

Experts, do we agree?

• Like 1

Troll.

And away we go...!

I will not be bullied.

:D