The Royal QUEEN Discussion and Adoration Thread!

Entre_Perpetuo

It's been Eons since i've spun Queen.

busy with Judas Priest at the moment. but i need to do some Queen soon again.

Mick

Just played The Miracle yesterday. I know you don’t care for much of the 80s stuff, but to me that album is very nearly top 5 material. It had been a long time since I played it and it really puts me in a great mood to this day.

• Like 1

Mick

Just played The Miracle yesterday. I know you don’t care for much of the 80s stuff, but to me that album is very nearly top 5 material. It had been a long time since I played it and it really puts me in a great mood to this day.

I remeber playing the Miracle last time and it wasn't as bad as i remembered it.

The Title Track

I want it all

The invisable Man

Breakthru

not a total Loss.

Mick

• Like 1

Mick

I remeber playing the Miracle last time and it wasn't as bad as i remembered it.

The Title Track

I want it all

The invisable Man

Breakthru

not a total Loss.

Mick

Don’t forget Was It All Worth It! :)

Breakthru is in my top ten Queen songs actually. I adore everything about it, including the video.

• Like 1

I don't know if you have already seen this, or even if it contains info you don't already know, but it was just put on youtube in January, so I'm putting the link here:

I was more or less aware of all of this, but reminders are always welcome.

• Like 1

My kids are mostly into whatever it is that teenagers are into these days, musically. You can thank Bohemian Rhapsody for introducing them to Queen. A week or so ago my son was talking about what a great singer Freddie was. My daughter was walking around the house last night with her ear pods in singing BR. I'm not a huge Queen fan, but man is this an improvement.
  • Like 2

My kids are mostly into whatever it is that teenagers are into these days, musically. You can thank Bohemian Rhapsody for introducing them to Queen. A week or so ago my son was talking about what a great singer Freddie was. My daughter was walking around the house last night with her ear pods in singing BR. I'm not a huge Queen fan, but man is this an improvement.

That effing song is never going to go away, is it?

There will always be people around that never heard it before and discover it. :)

• Like 1

I hope she did better with the lyrics than I did when I first heard it and walked around singing "Got a moose, got a moose, can you do the fandangle."

• Like 1

There will always be people around that never heard it before and discover it. :)

:|

• Like 1

Nope! :D

• Like 1

That movie seems to have finally cemented for the rest of the world what I've known all along: Queen are among the greatest rock bands of all time. You may love them, you may hate them, but you do know them well enough to swing one way or the other.

• Like 1

That movie seems to have finally cemented for the rest of the world what I've known all along: Queen are among the greatest rock bands of all time. You may love them, you may hate them, but you do know them well enough to swing one way or the other.

I’m not a huge fan, like I said, but this is obviously true. Certainly one of the most influential.

• Like 2

:|

I remember hearing it for the first time as a kid.

Hated it.

Nah. It was a shitty, easily marketable movie that took liberties with reality and played it so safe and by the numbers that it was bound to be a massive hit.

It's garbage, and the band, and Mercury, deserve a better film. It was to Queen what Mamma Mia is to ABBA. I'm no fan of Queen, but the movie was nowhere near as brilliant as A Star Is Born.

Nah. It was a shitty, easily marketable movie that took liberties with reality and played it so safe and by the numbers that it was bound to be a massive hit.

It's garbage, and the band, and Mercury, deserve a better film. It was to Queen what Mamma Mia is to ABBA. I'm no fan of Queen, but the movie was nowhere near as brilliant as A Star Is Born.

I disagree. It did take liberties with reality, but Brian and Roger were directly in charge of it, and so did Elton's movie, which was great as well. I honestly doubt Freddie would've preferred a hyper-realistic depiction of his life as opposed to this well-written and acted drama based on his story. Perhaps it was easily marketable and safe, but so are a lot of great movies.

As far as it being an assured hit, that's probably so in the UK, but in the USA Queen just weren't as big of a deal as they were everywhere else. There are a lot of factors, but I think conservative America's tendency towards homophobia is a big one. Don't get me wrong, they're well-known enough here, but they aren't ubiquitous. Most of my peers (prior to the movie) had no idea We Will Rock You was an actual song and not just a sports chant, nor that the same band that wrote Bohemian Rhapsody wrote Another One Bites The Dust, nor that Crazy Little Thing Called Love isn't an old 50s tune. And most of their 80s and 90s stuff is all but unheard of over here. At least, this was the case before the movie.

For whatever reason, be it the social changes of the times or the power of hindsight, the Bohemian Rhapsody movie connected on a level past Queen releases never have in America. The song itself never did reach the top of the Billboard charts, in fact Queen only ever got number one singles with Another One Bites The Dust and Crazy Little Thing Called Love. So for the movie to fill up theaters and score 5 Oscar nominations (and win 4 of them) marked a real change in Queen's relevance in this country. Even now the top ten rock songs and albums on iTunes are littered with Queen, where they were lucky to see one song or album in the top ten in the past. I realize I'm rambling, and my bias as a huge Queen fan doesn't help my case. However, it may help this point.

Before the movie, I had to explain Queen to other people and all of their hits. People just didn't know about Queen any more than Styx or Boston or David Bowie. But since the movie, everyone knows Freddie Mercury and Bohemian Rhapsody, and their music has had a huge resurgence in relevancy. At last, when I tell people Queen are my favorite band, they understand me and know what I'm talking about. This movie did for Queen in America what Beyond The Lighted Stage, CA, the RRHoF induction, and R40 did for Rush.

tl;dr No, it's not a perfect movie (although it's very hard for me to see that in the same way it's very hard for me to see that Hot Space isn't a great album: bias), but it's made me extraordinarily happy as a Queen fan both for my own experience watching it and for getting to see it succeed so massively with critics and the public. Queen and Freddie deserve every ounce of the praise its garnered in America for all the years they struggled to make it as big here as they did everywhere else.

And on a side note, I didn't see A Star Is Born. May be better, may be worse, I really wouldn't know. Glad you like it though!

I disagree. It did take liberties with reality, but Brian and Roger were directly in charge of it, and so did Elton's movie, which was great as well. I honestly doubt Freddie would've preferred a hyper-realistic depiction of his life as opposed to this well-written and acted drama based on his story. Perhaps it was easily marketable and safe, but so are a lot of great movies.

As far as it being an assured hit, that's probably so in the UK, but in the USA Queen just weren't as big of a deal as they were everywhere else. There are a lot of factors, but I think conservative America's tendency towards homophobia is a big one. Don't get me wrong, they're well-known enough here, but they aren't ubiquitous. Most of my peers (prior to the movie) had no idea We Will Rock You was an actual song and not just a sports chant, nor that the same band that wrote Bohemian Rhapsody wrote Another One Bites The Dust, nor that Crazy Little Thing Called Love isn't an old 50s tune. And most of their 80s and 90s stuff is all but unheard of over here. At least, this was the case before the movie.

For whatever reason, be it the social changes of the times or the power of hindsight, the Bohemian Rhapsody movie connected on a level past Queen releases never have in America. The song itself never did reach the top of the Billboard charts, in fact Queen only ever got number one singles with Another One Bites The Dust and Crazy Little Thing Called Love. So for the movie to fill up theaters and score 5 Oscar nominations (and win 4 of them) marked a real change in Queen's relevance in this country. Even now the top ten rock songs and albums on iTunes are littered with Queen, where they were lucky to see one song or album in the top ten in the past. I realize I'm rambling, and my bias as a huge Queen fan doesn't help my case. However, it may help this point.

Before the movie, I had to explain Queen to other people and all of their hits. People just didn't know about Queen any more than Styx or Boston or David Bowie. But since the movie, everyone knows Freddie Mercury and Bohemian Rhapsody, and their music has had a huge resurgence in relevancy. At last, when I tell people Queen are my favorite band, they understand me and know what I'm talking about. This movie did for Queen in America what Beyond The Lighted Stage, CA, the RRHoF induction, and R40 did for Rush.

tl;dr No, it's not a perfect movie (although it's very hard for me to see that in the same way it's very hard for me to see that Hot Space isn't a great album: bias), but it's made me extraordinarily happy as a Queen fan both for my own experience watching it and for getting to see it succeed so massively with critics and the public. Queen and Freddie deserve every ounce of the praise its garnered in America for all the years they struggled to make it as big here as they did everywhere else.

And on a side note, I didn't see A Star Is Born. May be better, may be worse, I really wouldn't know. Glad you like it though!

Well that's a nice discussion!

Ok...I'm sold. The film did some good.

STILL SHIT TO ME BUT I do envy all who have never been assaulted by Queen before (I will probably end up a fan but it's taking time to thaw my frozen blood pump)

• Like 1

lol. you can say the movie was shit all you like......and you are right mostt likely right.....liberties and what not. but the live aid scene alone was worth the money.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

lol. you can say the movie was shit all you like......and you are right mostt likely right.....liberties and what not. but the live aid scene alone was worth the money.

Mick

The only reason I consider buying it is for that scene alone

• Like 1

Plus I think he deserved that Oscar.
  • Like 1

Also Now whenever i watch that film.......Freddie's mouth prosthetic just bugs me, lol

sounds like they just shoved a cotton ball in there, lol

Mick

Well, it worked for Brando...
  • Like 1